IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hello Ted,

another newbie who wants to backup his SACD collection.

Unfortunately my PS3 60 GB has a firmware > 3.55 - but here is professionel service in germany, which can make a downgrade on my PS3-Version.

Could you please send me a pm?

Thanks and greetings from another german audiophile user.

Bernd

The music column is in the sony main menu. For example, sacd ripper is in the game column. From there press left on the 4 way direction pad 3 times. Then you will be in the music column. You should see the sacd title. Under the title it will say either sacd or music cd.

If the disc does show as sacd and you would like to try linux, just pm me and I will talk you through a fairly simple install.

Yes, I see the SACD (both stereo and mch versions for at least 2 of my problem discs) in the PS3 music menu. Will pm you re Linux solution. Thanks for your suggestion.

Yeah, those sound like they need version .30 maybe. Synfreak or I can send it to you.

Ok, an update on stubborn SACDs. Indeed, version 0.30 (kindly supplied by Synfreak) solved the ripping problem with 5/6 discs so far (Pentatone, BIS and Oehms). I was a little worried about using the keys linked in The Guide when installing an old build, but no problems came up. Btw, all the discs that I now succeeded in ripping have some funny characters.

Other than not having server mode for ripping, is 0.30 in any way inferior to 0.37?

After using my PS3 and the Sonore iso2dsd application from ISO files and over the network for about 50 sacd's I have finally run into a disc that doesn't want to cooperate.

Pentatone PTC 5186 095. Tchaikovsky violin concerto Julie Fischer RNO Kreizberg hybrid multichannel. Country code NL. 8 tracks.

SACD Plays perfectly in my oppo 105. PS3 can play disc. When I run SACD-ripper on the PS3 not in server mode, tells me to insert sacd disc which I do, but cannot recognize disc. When I run sacd-ripper in network mode, ps3 sees disc inserted and I can execute Sonore iso2sacd to make the ISO file.

when I run iso2dsd with channel mode multi and output mode Sony DSF, it seems to read the ISO file properly showing disc info, ISRC tracks, says processing track 1/8 but that's as far as it will go. No percentages and no errors are displayed. Tried this several times waiting up to 30 minutes. It does created folder name for the music but no content in the folder.

Tried running output mode DSDIFF Edit Master and it processed and created one large 2.8GB DFF file rather than 8 individual files. My Jriver will play this DFF file on my PC but it will not play over my Ethernet network to my oppo. Tried using dBpoweramp to convert the DFF to FLAC but get error saying DFF file is uncompressed.

hoping someone has experience solving a similar problem. Thanks in advance.

Pentatone PTC 5186 095. Tchaikovsky violin concerto Julie Fischer RNO Kreizberg hybrid multichannel. Country code NL. 8 tracks.

Yes, this SACD is known to give a problem with the actual/latest ripper build (0.37).

See post above yours from @Deribas ;-)

Just send me your email address via PM, and i can send you the needed older builds to get around this problem.

To my knowledge, there is no difference in the audio-part (DSD data) between the ripper builds, so one can use one of the older builds without problems.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

The Pentatone discs in question have long file names and some unsupported characters for build 0.37. But still not sure what was meant here:

When I run sacd-ripper in network mode, ps3 sees disc inserted and I can execute Sonore iso2sacd to make the ISO file.

I know of no app from Jesus that does this. Running in server mode simply requires sacd_extract.exe on the pc

Have you tried this on the ISO you created?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Ted,

at least my copy of Jesus' ISO2SACD GUI (for Windows) does have the network ripping option... (but I never used it).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I assume you guys are referring to ISO2DSD. I forgot that the GUI has the server option....but the app name threw me. Sorry. My bad.

I don't use it anymore cuz the DSF portion has the Mr Wicked bug. Bogi's workflow is better cuz it doesn't require a separate GUI (just right click on the ISO name in Windows Explorer) and doesn't have the click bug (cuz it first goes to a cleaned DFF then DSF and magically keeps the tags from the ISO during the process).

The Pentatone discs in question have long file names and some unsupported characters for build 0.37. But still not sure what was meant here:

I know of no app from Jesus that does this. Running in server mode simply requires sacd_extract.exe on the pc

Have you tried this on the ISO you created?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Will try also that tonight. Where do I find the bogi's workflow option you mention?

In that link above (How do you store...)

Got everything set up properly. My antivirus went crazy with some of these .exe files! Was able to run but no tracks output. Edited config file from original setting of 100 and tried 150 then 200 but still no tracks output. I consider myself very proficient with computer software and hardware, but this alternate method will not work with this Pentatone sacd. Was able to use bogi's method to test other ISO files so I know this Disc alone is my problem. After messing with it for a few hours, no more buying Pentatone sacd's unless I just want to listen to them on my oppo 105. By the way this disc sounds really excellent!

thanks for your help but no cigar with this disc and the PS3 method.

Many thanks to Synfreak, Skeptic, and caseyse for pointing me to this topic for ripping SACDs. I've ordered one of these old PS3s and should be getting it soon. I found the "Ted's Guide", but am not sure if it's the most current version. Could I ask where the "main" site for information exchange on this topic is (other than this thread), and if there is a more recent "dummies' guide" for the absolute beginner?

Thanks again!

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

After using my PS3 and the Sonore iso2dsd application from ISO files and over the network for about 50 sacd's I have finally run into a disc that doesn't want to cooperate.

SACD Plays perfectly in my oppo 105. PS3 can play disc. When I run SACD-ripper on the PS3 not in server mode, tells me to insert sacd disc which I do, but cannot recognize disc. When I run sacd-ripper in network mode, ps3 sees disc inserted and I can execute Sonore iso2sacd to make the ISO file.

when I run iso2dsd with channel mode multi and output mode Sony DSF, it seems to read the ISO file properly showing disc info, ISRC tracks, says processing track 1/8 but that's as far as it will go. No percentages and no errors are displayed. Tried this several times waiting up to 30 minutes. It does created folder name for the music but no content in the folder.

Tried running output mode DSDIFF Edit Master and it processed and created one large 2.8GB DFF file rather than 8 individual files. My Jriver will play this DFF file on my PC but it will not play over my Ethernet network to my oppo. Tried using dBpoweramp to convert the DFF to FLAC but get error saying DFF file is uncompressed.

hoping someone has experience solving a similar problem. Thanks in advance.

If you use this script

@Echo Off

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%k IN ('dir /b *.iso') DO sacd_extract.exe -c -s -i"%%k" Test

Echo Extraction Completed

Pause

in a .bat file it eliminates all the long file names and odd characters. You need to have the .bat and .iso and sacd_extract.exe and maybe iso2dsd_gui.exe in the same folder.

The Pentatone Tchaikovsky CD was exactly the problem I was having issues with too.

I do have another quirk to ask about.

About 1/3 of the ISO files that I obtain can be opened with WinRAR. However, 2/3 of the ISO files cannot be opened with an ISO editor like WinRAR or WinZIP. I get the error message 'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'. Even though I get this message, the ISO file will play just fine when opened with foobar2000. The ISO2DSD GUI also has no problems with these troublesome ISO files.

Can anyone tell me why WinRAR sees the file as a problematic file?

It's pretty annoying to use the GUI and see a nice tight 3.3GB ISO file expand to a total of 6+GB of separate DSF files. I guess I should just brush it off since storage is cheap. Whether or not I check the 'Convert DST to DSD' option, I get the exact same output in file sizes.

The Pentatone Tchaikovsky CD was exactly the problem I was having issues with too.

I do have another quirk to ask about.

About 1/3 of the ISO files that I obtain can be opened with WinRAR. However, 2/3 of the ISO files cannot be opened with an ISO editor like WinRAR or WinZIP. I get the error message 'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'. Even though I get this message, the ISO file will play just fine when opened with foobar2000. The ISO2DSD GUI also has no problems with these troublesome ISO files.

Can anyone tell me why WinRAR sees the file as a problematic file?

It's pretty annoying to use the GUI and see a nice tight 3.3GB ISO file expand to a total of 6+GB of separate DSF files. I guess I should just brush it off since storage is cheap. Whether or not I check the 'Convert DST to DSD' option, I get the exact same output in file sizes.

I've also noticed that about the ISOs too.. Some open in WinRAR and others don't...

Yes, this SACD is known to give a problem with the actual/latest ripper build (0.37).

One more observation since, on advice from Synfreak and ted_b, I switched to version 0.30 to rip previously undoable SACDs from Pentatone, Chandos, BIS and Oehms. 6 out of 8 now worked perfectly. 2 (both from Pentatone: Mendelssohn Piano Trios and Colin Davis Berlioz Requiem) were recognized and proceeded to the ripping progress screen, only to change to error message "An error has occurred. (8002B301)". Did not freeze PS3, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what it means and if something else can be attempted?

Deribas,

that seems to indicate (google) a character mismatch/error.

Do you rip to ISO(s) or to single tracks (DSF/DFF)?

Haven't had something like this up to know - knocking on wood, as I still haven't ripped my classical SACDs ...

One more observation since, on advice from Synfreak and ted_b, I switched to version 0.30 to rip previously undoable SACDs from Pentatone, Chandos, BIS and Oehms. 6 out of 8 now worked perfectly. 2 (both from Pentatone: Mendelssohn Piano Trios and Colin Davis Berlioz Requiem) were recognized and proceeded to the ripping progress screen, only to change to error message "An error has occurred. (8002B301)". Did not freeze PS3, though.

Does anyone have an idea of what it means and if something else can be attempted?

See my old post #1960 (and other posts close to it) it enabled me to rip all my iso's including the Colin Davis.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index79.html#post314165

Synfreak, I always rip to .ISO only. and, as you and Paul3000h have pointed out, there is some sort of funky character issue. I now realize that it can be dealt with by setting up network ripping, but have not proceeded to do so. Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Anyone have a tip on ripping the Mendelssohn Piano Trio disc from Pentatone with Fischer, Muller-Schott and Glad? I can't get it to work on version 0.30

That's a stubborn one. I did read recently that someone succeeded with this SACD using the network ripping method that's enabled in version 0.37. Haven't tried it myself yet (and not sure if I can make it work with a Mac). Have you?

3) ripper shows initial loading screen with ISO name but does not move on to progress bar screen; USB thumb drive blinks until finished (this I call the "blind rip" and has occurred maybe 5% of the time; requires patience until thumb drive lights quit blinking). This issue also requires a soft reboot (hold power button) of the PS3 to move onto next disc.

Hi Ted, Hi All!

I'm totally to this thread and to SACD ripping. I found myself a PS3 in good condition, installed the otherOS and the v0.37 ripper, but, so far, could not rip one SACD successfully. I waited for more then 30 minutes, took out the USD drive (no light) and only had a sacd_log.txt and an ISO of 153MB. 10/10 times the ripper would not go to the "ripper status bar screen" just stuck in the first screen where the disc gets recognised. Can't use my buttons anymore, none of them work. have to do a soft reboot to get the disc out.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to get this going!

Cheers!

Bas

My experience: When you start the PS3 do you see the familiar PS3 interface? You should. Then, do you see the SACD Ripper listed in the available games (as if you inserted a game CD)? You should. If you are there so far you select the SACD Ripper "game" and then see white text on a black background, you may get a prompt asking it you want to use it in network mode (I forget the exact text string), I say "no" because I am ripping to a thumb drive. Then you should insert your SACD and you should see a summary screen of the Title, file size, and some other data along with a prompt asking if you want to rip this SACD, select OK and you should be good to go. If you are seeing other things then you may not be configured properly.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

My experience: When you start the PS3 do you see the familiar PS3 interface? You should. Then, do you see the SACD Ripper listed in the available games (as if you inserted a game CD)? You should. If you are there so far you select the SACD Ripper "game" and then see white text on a black background, you may get a prompt asking it you want to use it in network mode (I forget the exact text string), I say "no" because I am ripping to a thumb drive. Then you should insert your SACD and you should see a summary screen of the Title, file size, and some other data along with a prompt asking if you want to rip this SACD, select OK and you should be good to go. If you are seeing other things then you may not be configured properly.

Thanks Jabs,

I'm with you all the way. even think at the end I got my full ISO file (3.8GB) but never got a ripper status bar. just stuck to the B/W screen you describe as the "summary screen" no backward or forward.. have to eject and reboot to get back into the "familiar PS3 interface" Think I just thought I could get the pleasure of seeing status bars filling up to 100%.. :)

Will check if ISO is correct, will have to convert that now into DSD or something similar..

Cheers,

Bas

Thanks Jabs,

I'm with you all the way. even think at the end I got my full ISO file (3.8GB) but never got a ripper status bar. just stuck to the B/W screen you describe as the "summary screen" no backward or forward.. have to eject and reboot to get back into the "familiar PS3 interface" Think I just thought I could get the pleasure of seeing status bars filling up to 100%.. :)

Will check if ISO is correct, will have to convert that now into DSD or something similar..

Cheers,

Bas

You may be there, does the file not look correct when you plug the thumb drive into your computer? My PS3 is now good for about 2 rips and then I have to shut it down for the day (I used to be able to get 10 in a day), I think this is a heat issue. The fact that it's more reliable when the house is cool is an indicator :)

Anyway, my machine will get hot and the screen will flake out (freeze, go to visual noise, no controller feedback, etc.) yet the rip will continue and complete correctly. Though my ripping session will be done for the day that last one did rip and I get the file on the thumb drive. Your machine may be doing something similar.

I use the Sonore converter and take the ISO to DSF, some people have had click and/or pop problems with that so they go to DFF (I think Ted was going from ISO to DFF and then to DSF in order to be sure he didn't get any clicks/pops).

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800