IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hello all,

I've been keeping up with this forum for a little while but this is my first post (I've been a bit more active on Steve Hoffman's forum in the past). I've really appreciated reading through all of the background on how to backup SACDs! I have 100 or so SACDs that I would love to backup and load into JRiver to stream DSFs to my DAC.

I have a PS3 model CECHA01 that I've had since new but it's now running firmware 4.50. From what I've gathered there's not an easy way to return it to 3.55 - is that correct? If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a good condition unit running 3.55 (I would prefer one that's loaded and ready to go)? I live in Orange County CA and can pay local or through PayPal.

Best regards,

Tony

I was able to find a local person who rolled my PS3 firmware back to 3.55 (he charged $70) and I just backed up my first SACD. Thanks Ted_B and all on this forum!

aerosmith rocks sacd rip.jpg

Here's Mike's info if others in the SoCal area are in need of PS3 work. He is very helpful and was done in a few hours - highly recommended!

PS3 firmware.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi together,

I bougth a Sony Playstation 3 model number CECHC04, the SACD logo is printed on the right side of the case, the firmware is 3.55. So I expected I will be able to play and mainly I want to rip SACDs.

So at first I tested if the PS3 will be able to play SACDs, but when I try to play one, the error 80029bc1 is shown. Does it mean that I bought the wrong PS3?

I would be glad if someone will have a hint...

best regards

Markus

Markus,

Maybe this error is related to a special/custom firmware installed on your PS3 (just a guess)?

see: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index59.html#post246491

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Markus,

Maybe this error is related to a special/custom firmware installed on your PS3 (just a guess)?

see: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index59.html#post246491

I am not sure if it is a custom firmware because a "rebug" logo is shown during startup. But I dont know if this logo is standard or not, because I know nothing about PS3. The system information shows firmware version 3.55, there is no hint regarding a special firmware.

When I try to update from a ntfs formatted usb thumb drive (as described in https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.1.pdf) always an error that no update data is found will be shown.

Any hints for me how to patch the ps3 or if the PS3 is not able to rip SACDs??

Best regards

Markus

Hi together,

I bougth a Sony Playstation 3 model number CECHC04, the SACD logo is printed on the right side of the case, the firmware is 3.55. So I expected I will be able to play and mainly I want to rip SACDs.

So at first I tested if the PS3 will be able to play SACDs, but when I try to play one, the error 80029bc1 is shown. Does it mean that I bought the wrong PS3?

I would be glad if someone will have a hint...

best regards

Markus

The original BD drive of your PS3 might have been replaced with one that doesn't support SACD playback. Just a guess though...

Markus,

I'm pretty sure that you have got a "software-patched" (hence the "rebug" logo at start-up) PS3.

And maybe your unit has lost the ability to play SACDs because of this ...

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I tried to extract via Network for the first time. Apparently, this is the only way to rip some of the hard-to-rip SACD discs. When I try to run Extract ISO Via Network.bat, I get an error message:

The program can't start because pthreadVC2.dll is missing from your computer.

The program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer.

etc etc.

I tried to extract via Network for the first time. Apparently, this is the only way to rip some of the hard-to-rip SACD discs. When I try to run Extract ISO Via Network.bat, I get an error message:

The program can't start because pthreadVC2.dll is missing from your computer.

The program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer.

etc etc.

Try to install vcredist_x86.exe being available here: https://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list

I am not sure if it is a custom firmware because a "rebug" logo is shown during startup. But I dont know if this logo is standard or not, because I know nothing about PS3. The system information shows firmware version 3.55, there is no hint regarding a special firmware.

When I try to update from a ntfs formatted usb thumb drive (as described in https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.1.pdf) always an error that no update data is found will be shown.

Any hints for me how to patch the ps3 or if the PS3 is not able to rip SACDs??

Best regards

Markus

One more tip: perhaps the Rogero downgrader can help. LizardKing knows more about the process.

Rogero is a software downgrader. We've warned of that since Day one guys! One needs a hardware downgrade (usually costs $100 or so) then install OtherOS once back to a clean 3.55..

bkdc, do you have the correct sacd_ripper.pkg installed? Sounds like no, based on your error codes.

A few pages back folks were wondering why their Winrar can't extract ISOs. Argh! Please read my guide or follow this thread. SACD ISOs are not like DVD ISOs. You must have the correct PS3 (CECHA, B, C or E), the correct custom firmware (once you machine is confirmed to be a clean 3.55 or below), and the correct sacd_extract tools.

Multichannel content can be extracted using most of the newer tools here (Jesus's GUI, Bogi's tools, or command line) using the multichannel argument. But then using the front l/r for stereo would, in most cases, be a horrible mistake musically (missing much of the music content). Just either have your player read the ISO and play back the stereo tracks, or extract to stereo DSF using something like Bogi's tool.

Hi together,

;-) ;-) J I P I E H ;-) ;-)

I just ripped my first SACD using my PS3

Lots of thanks for ted_b for his incredible guide !!

If you want to improve it for beginners, you could add a hint that the usb thumb drive should be formatted in fat32 and not in ntfs. That was my fault. After installing the new firmware the ps3 was able to read sacd.

Also it would be be helpful to insert download links to all files needed (e.g. sacd_extract.exe, Extract ISO via Network.bat and ISO2DSD because there is no free software link on SONORE computer audio).

Best regards

Markus

@Markus:

Glad to hear that you have been able to get it going. Have fun ;-)

@Deribas

Do you use the same USB thumb drive for your rips? Maybe re-rip an SACD which gave you the higher speed at the first time to check for this behaviour?

Folks

I would like to thank Mr Wicked for his sterling efforts. I took the PS3 route, and this has transformed my listening. As a classical listener, I see 1) many companies not releasing downloads of the irreplaceable material in their archives and 2) some companies - that must remain nameless - releasing downloads that are technically and sonically appalling.

I have been ripping much of my SACD collection, for personal use only of course, and this has enabled my download collection to grow by leaps and bounds. It's also shown me how much that's in the commercial arena is slipshod and not very good sounding.

Frankly, my straight ISO and then DSF rips are often way better than the stuff you can buy from the US. And the difference is not subtle.

Nice one, Mr Wicked. Great technology!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Today I sucessfully entered the world of SACD ripping - really interesting and exciting aspect of our wonderful hobby!!

Sound quality of the dsf files played via my combi Auralic Aries and Vega is very, very nice. Music sounds significantly more "real" than with pcm flacs in my findings.

However, I have a problem with all (!) rips: In the tracks perhaps once per track or with some even more often appears some interruption / crackling / glitching sound.

Do you have any hint where to look for the source of the problem? Is it already in the PS3? I've tried two different USB thumb drives already, no difference. Using the sacd-ripper v. 0.37.

Is it with the ISO extraction process? I'm using the iso2dsd gui exe from sonore.

Thank you very much in advance for any hint.

Cheers, Henning

HenSch,

What is your DAC? Try to isolate the problem by extracting via Bogi's tools (doesn't go through sacd_extract's dsf process).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Thanks ted_b!

I will try the different extracting tool. Unfortunately I don't have any pc software on hand which allows to directly play iso files. That would be a perfect check whether the glitching is already in the iso file.

My DAC is Auralic Vega. I haven't experienced any problems with any dsf file which I had bought and downloaded from highresaudio.com. Therefore the faulty bit must be somewhere in the ripping and extracting process.

Alright, with the usage of the suggested Bogi's tools the glitching problem is getting already significantly smaller for me!

Tested only one track so far. It has only one minor crackling left, but with the usage of the sacd_extract before, the same track from the same iso had two significantly more problematic interruptions which nearly caused a heart attack for the first listen.

So it seems I'm on the right track and a little bit closer to the solution.

Today I sucessfully entered the world of SACD ripping - really interesting and exciting aspect of our wonderful hobby!!

Sound quality of the dsf files played via my combi Auralic Aries and Vega is very, very nice. Music sounds significantly more "real" than with pcm flacs in my findings.

However, I have a problem with all (!) rips: In the tracks perhaps once per track or with some even more often appears some interruption / crackling / glitching sound.

Do you have any hint where to look for the source of the problem? Is it already in the PS3? I've tried two different USB thumb drives already, no difference. Using the sacd-ripper v. 0.37.

Is it with the ISO extraction process? I'm using the iso2dsd gui exe from sonore.

Thank you very much in advance for any hint.

Cheers, Henning

HenSch Hi

Thanks. This is very interesting. I also use v 0.37 of Ripper. And I use an Auralic Aries and Vega. Plus iso2dsd for the ISO to DSD extract. So, much in common!

And, yes, the SQ achievable is startling. Thanks, Ted!

But I have not experienced the glitching you describe. I wonder if something else might be at work. The only occasion that I observed something like this was a single period where the sound was degraded by an effect sounding like analog domain overload distortion at peaks - but which wasn't. This was actually caused by a known Vega 'issue' due to filter initialization/stability problems. A manual change of filter setting and then back to the original will resolve this. I am informed that this bug will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Could that possibly be it, I wonder? It may be worth a try, at least.

Yes, I know it doesn't explain why you hear it on commercial downloads, though. But it's still something that is easily testable.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers

Hello all,

I've burned a SACD ISO to a DVD-R and can play the disc in my Pioneer dvd player. I was wondering if it would be possible to burn extracted DFF/DSF files from an SACD ISO to a DVD-R and play it in the same way on my Pioneer?

If not, is it possible to make an original SACD ISO from the extracted DFF/DSF files?

Hope someone can help me out.

Cheers

Hello all,

I've burned a SACD ISO to a DVD-R and can play the disc in my Pioneer dvd player. I was wondering if it would be possible to burn extracted DFF/DSF files from an SACD ISO to a DVD-R and play it in the same way on my Pioneer?

If not, is it possible to make an original SACD ISO from the extracted DFF/DSF files?

Hope someone can help me out.

Cheers

1) No, the Pioneer is not a file based player

2) no, you can't author SACDs from extrated DSF or DFF files.

1) No, the Pioneer is not a file based player

2) no, you can't author SACDs from extrated DSF or DFF files.

Thanx Ted for the quick reply!

So if you only have the extracted DSF/DFF files and not the original SACD ISO, the only option is to rip the SACD again with the PS3 to an SACD ISO file?

Thanx Ted for the quick reply!

So if you only have the extracted DSF/DFF files and not the original SACD ISO, the only option is to rip the SACD again with the PS3 to an SACD ISO file?

Correct, or go file-based playback (computer and DSD-capable DAC).