IGNORED

Audio Holy Grails - What are yours?

There are few items I would love to be able to own or accomplish in my audio hobby.

Maybe some of these exist and I'm not aware of them.

Otherwise, for those manufacturers monitoring this site, please pay attention. There may be opportunities for you here.

In no order of importance:

1. Audiophile and very easily transportable desktop speakers (would have to fit in carry-on luggage with lots of space left for other stuff. Could weigh no more than 2lb-3lb's each).

2. Easy method for ripping SACD's to 24/96 or higher resolution with detailed instructions.

3. Self powered DAC using digital stream of Ipod (again, very easy to carry).

4. Smyth Realizer in hand-held version, self-powered.

That's what I can think of for now.

And your grails would be . . . ?

Joel

I realise that computer audio is still somewhat in it's infancy but for the life of me I can't understand why we need so many formats for music storage.

Getting them all to play seamlessly together and come together as one logical library without needing a degree in computer science is at the moment my "holy grail".

Oh, and a set of 150 watt tubes amplifiers that are affordable and give off very little heat.

David

3 has been taken care of: http://www.cypherlabs.com/Products.php

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

without transcoding and doesn't crash and doesn't get hung up playing multichannel music. I would also like to see and end to quashing the life out of music produced for commercial consumption. Even someone I enjoy, like say Adele's new album, is about as dynamic as a sheet of paper. If the woman is whispering, let her whisper. It doesn't need to be loud as the loudest percussive instrument. As much as I love high res, I would be nearly as happy with decent sounding redbook. I should say decent sounding material that is not jazz or classical...though I enjoy both, it's out there and has been out there for ages. This is about everyone's wish list though...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Joel: I don't own it but I've read a few reviews online since I'm thinking of picking it up. The buzz on the net is positive but then they're all from headphone addicts (not that there's anything wrong with that, :). I'm looking forward to reading your review hopefully on this site . . . . if you buy it. Miguel

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Believe what you read....simple and effective

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Bowers and wilkins computer speakers could cover item 1

Mine would be and I doubt it will ever happen

because I need a big house miles from nowhere to have my loudest best quality hifi hooked up my computer.

Secondly and this is off the subject a little but a festival

with this line up, but it is a holy grail

Led Zeppelin Porcupine Tree Dream Theater Black county Communion and Spocks Beard.

James1776:

"a Hi-Rez iPOD

I would like a Hi-Rez (24/192) iPod that sends a digital signal wireless to a DAC...No docking stations..."

James,

That one just might see the light of day.....Airplay Plus I guess you could call it. Write Tomlinson, maybe he can get that going!

PS. I know of at least 3 manufacturers that are working on the dac end of that wish right now.

David

Boy, how good would that be...

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Herewith the Grail according to Baxtus:

A room that defines the word quiet, elegantly, comfortably and tastefully decorated to promote a relaxed demeanor and lined by my lifetime collection of books. Multiple individual and different chairs randomly arranged so that this music could be shared with others who enjoy relaxed music listening.

Uninterruped time. . .

Dead quiet computer driven audio system (probably Apple with iTunes because of its inherently brilliant library and playlist functionality). Reliable file storage in dead quiet enclosures.

Electrocompaniet DAC and Amplification driving either Stax or Quad Electrostatic speakers with 2 large, neutral subwoofers to move air at LOW SPL. These components have been chosen because they inconspicuously and somewhat humbly deliver believable and consistently musical transparency over an extremely broad range of musical styles at low SPL and have been manufactured by companies with integrity and longevity.

Let the rest of the world go by. . . .

on every album, CD, DVD, Bluray, and live performance recorded available instantly, and at minimal cost, with the absolute best resolution of the time it was recorded.

Playable with top quality fidelity on any connected device, phone, computer, media player, TV, whatever.

-Paul

P.S. I might as well throw in every movie and TV show ever made too. With full video and audio resolution.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If they can send a wireless analogue signal (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W2), they should be able to send something as simple as 1's and 0's....

Television is digital now. The technology is decades old. The limiting factor is the pitiful DAC in the iPOD that does not do Hi-Rez. I blame Apple.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Thanks for the suggestion on the B&W speakers, howlingfeedback.

I had actually purchased a pair some time back and, with apologies to those who like them, I didn't love them.

But please keep those suggestions coming.

Joel

I'd like to have the hearing of my german shepherd so I could actually hear the difference between standard and hi res

I'd also like the high end industry to track the price performance improvements of the rest of the semiconductor industry.