IGNORED

List Audiophile Quality Download Sites

eClassical.com has an excellent recording of the Peer Gynt suites (not the whole thing, which I suspect you might not want) here:

http://www.eclassical.com/conductors/ruud-ole-kristian/grieg-peer-gynt-suites.html

Note that the "24 bit" files are likely 44.1 kHz, which is the sampling frequency that BIS normally uses for its large-scale recordings for release on SACD. Some might quibble as to whether these are truly "hi-res" or not, but being 24-bit recordings, they do sound a bit better than RBCD, which of course is limited to 16-bit. The several 44.1/24 albums from BIS that I've downloaded from eClassical.com have all been wonderful.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I've read that the 88.2 kHz files on HDtracks are rips/conversions of the DSD layers of SACDs, and are done by Puget Sound Studios in Seattle, whereas the 96 kHz files are done by the labels themselves (presumably from the master tapes) and supplied directly to HDtracks. (As to whether Weiss equipment is being used for the transfers/conversions in either instance, I do not know....)

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Hi,

I saw the recommendation here for Channel Classics. I just downloaded the Rachel Podger album of Mozart and Haydn in 24/96 HiRez. The recording has lots of clipping. It is present on 5 of the 9 tracks. They are apparently participating in the loudness wars. I sent them an email with a picture.

Also, they use a java-script download manager similar to HDtracks. I could not use my own download program. Their downloader took two tries to get the files down. It got up to 67%. I went away from the computer. When I returned about one hour later, it was at 36%. It seems that their downloader could not restart itself when it hit a problem, so it went back to zero.

Mike

Edit: Jared Sacks at Channel Classics is concerned about my assertion that they are participating in the loudness wars. So I am retracting this assertion. Jared seems to be sincere about putting out high quality recordings. The problem seems to be that the original DSD recording has lots of headroom, but that the conversion to PCM is done in such a way that the headroom is lost. The PCM and DSD versions are supposed to co-exist on a hybrid SACD with each version having the same apparent loudness. To create this equality, 6 dB of headroom is lost in the PCM version, according to Jared. I have tried to convince Jared that the proper conclusion is to have more than 6 dB of headroom on the DSD file. We can only hope. :)

Thanks, Mike. I spot-checked a few of the Channel Classics files I downloaded from Linn Records (all 192 kHz) and the waveforms also show a fair amount of clipping. However, in all cases this clipping is not audible, and there are no other negative effects that I can discern. Can you hear the clipping in your Mozart/Haydn files? (The spectrograms also revealed a huge amount of noise at around 50 kHz and above, but that's the norm for DSD-sourced files.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Jared Sacks a few months ago and we were discussing Channel's upcoming download service. I know he's extremely conscientious about maintaining his label's high standards, so I feel confident that he will do whatever's right in that regard.

Russell

Russell, I agree. Here is Jared's last note:

but of course I will be be doing this and go back to the recordings already on the site and replace those tracks. Again, LINN does not record in DSD. They upsample to DSD for the pressings but are recording in pcm 96/24. So that is why they do not have this problem.

Thanks for your insight on this.

greetings

Jared Sacks

Managing Director

He is referring to my request that he increase the headroom of his PCM download files. I had pointed out that Linn has not shown clipping on my downloads, so he was explaining why.

His email is info(at)channel.nl, if you want to tell him good things about his recordings. It is nice to find friendly, conscientious people.

BTW, I have not heard the clipping, but maybe that is me or my tube amp.

Mike

Jared Sacks (who I respect the most) explanation about Linn recordings may be confusing for CA readers who use downloaded files. Linn convert PCM to DSD for SACD pressings, but their downloads are native PCM 96kHz or 192kHz, that's why they are so clean and perfect sound.

So when it comes to SACD pressings prefer always DSD native recordings (no conversion), but when it comes to downloads I prefer PCM native recordings that need no conversion at all.

All conversions have their flaws (see the clipping thing) but I'm sure Jared Sacks will amend that in a near future. All in all it is a minor problem, since they sound very well.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

but http://www.zunior.com is a Canadian site that sells some great music. They do not offer HD audio, but you can purchase flac versions of all the the albums that they sell. I found this site as I am a big fan of The Wailin' Jennys and was trying to find a place to purchase their music as a download without having to go the mp3 route.

A Google search led me to zunior.com. I believe the flac versions of the album are around $11.00. I've purchased several albums from them, the process was smooth and easy. If you have not listened to the Wailin' Jennys before, I highly recommend them!

Tim

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add a few words concerning this clipping issue. DSD recording do indeed give an extra 3 db headroom. The conversion from DSD to pcm has a built in standard of adding 6 db so that the same 'loudness' could be attained. This standard was set way back in 1999-2000 during the initial start of DSD recordings. I have always done a direct downsampling using Philips own software and have never had any reason to believe to be any problems. On testing the Weiss Saracon it was truly much better sounding and have been using this software for the last 6 months on the transfers from DSD. Analyzing the number of files where I have also seen clipping using the audacity software, I then put these files back into my DAR to be able to really see what was happening. We are looking at .1 - .3 db of 'clipping'. There will certianly be no audible problems on these files, and will replace these with new files when other issues concerning my 'beta' site for downloading gives me the time to redue these. In the meantime, seeing the number of downloads already happening, it is a pleasure to see so many already enjoying these recordings. However sorry about the dollar exchange... frustrating for me too!

channel classics

Jared,

The issue here is not the size of the clip, but rather the high frequency noise that is introduced during the D-to-A conversion by the discontinuity in the wave form which is created by the clip. An extreme example is:

The strong vertical lines above 20k are caused by clips.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I recently experienced Richard Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten in a fantastic production at the Royal Opera in Copenhagen. I then downloaded Solti's recording in FLAC from the Deutsche Grammophon/Decca, actually Universal website.

Unfortunately, the FLAC files seem to have a short volume ramp-in and/or ramp-out. This means that there's a short dip in volume between all tracks. Rather annoying ...

Although it isn't hi-res, I would still prefer to support companies who make their recordings available as downloads, but this makes me hesitant to buy again from DG/Decca/Universal ... :-S

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Your sig does not identify your music player software.

Have you previously played FLAC files of other "through-composed" operas so that you know that the problem with gapless playback is this album rather than your music player software?

(By "through-composed" I mean operas in which the music is continuous between tracks, as opposed to each track being a separate aria so that a pause between tracks would not be bothersome.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Bob, I'm using Foobar. I haven't had that problem with other albums, and I tested it before posting (with a Wagner opera). Strange ... I think I'll write Universal and ask ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I think I owe it to Universal to post a follow-up. Within four working days I got a reply from Universal that they would look into the problem, but as this could take some time, they would be refunding my order. The money was in my account within another week.

All best,

Jens

• 3 months later...

Try the norwegian company Gubemusic. Both flac and Hi-Rez available.

https://www.gubemusic.com/

Try this young norwegian pop/rock/soul artist...Great!

https://www.gubemusic.com/?album=19346

atletico

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

I just want to give a shout out to the new and improved Beatport site. This is a really well-designed, and well-organized site. Beatport is for electronic music lovers, and they do it really well. They offer lossless downloads (WAV, and now AIFF so you don't have to convert and tag everything manually!). Nice job Beatport!

P.S. We have no affiliation with Beatport currently.

Sanjay Patel | Ciamara Corporation | New York, NY | www.ciamara.com

Well, I'd like to add http://www.highresaudio.com/ as high quality download site (if that has not been done yet).

They offer only high-resolution 24-bit albums at sample rates from 88.2kHz up to 384kHz. (perfect for my new 24/192 DAC :-))

As far as I can tell (I downloaded only one classic album a few weeks ago)they seem to keep their promise of being "a perfect companion for audiophiles". Not cheap though.

Has anyone else tried their FLAC, AIFF and WAV downloads?

I am particular concerned that as more download sites appear and claim to offer high resolution audio that many of the high rez albums will be fakes, upsampled or converted audio files and not true native resolution studio masters.

There is a lot of good information on the HighResAudio website that may be of interest to many CA readers such as their guarantee for true quality high rez albums, which still should be spot checked and verified with some labels by discerning buyers.

http://www.highresaudio.com/texte.php?ca_id=548

I purchased a Pentatone recording (24/192) Brahms Violin concerto, Julia Fischer.

I asked before purchasing… Quick answer: We only sell Native Studio Masters.

It is not true. That recording is DSD native recording, thus what they sell is a DSD to PCM conversion with all that DSD noise in the uppers (no good sound by the way). Not matching quality of conversions at Channel Classics or HDTracks.

I asked for an explanation, after 4 emails … NO explanation.

Good pre marketing, bullshit material and pitiful costumer support.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

You and I must be the only ones in the world who think the sound on that Fischer/Brahms recording is not good. I have the SACD and have always found the orchestral sound to be wooly and indistinct, yet this recording has received high praise for sound quality by most reviewers (professional or otherwise). I was tempted to download the hi-res version from The Classical Shop (which BTW just started to offer hi-res PentaTone recordings) to see if it might somehow sound better, but after reading your post, I think I'll hold off!

Russell

from what I can tell from their website, though I don't speak German to see if there is any further explanation. So any albums that they sell from DSD recordings have to be conversions from DSD to 24 bit PCM. The marketplace for high resolution music is definitely buyer beware.

I prefer to buy my high rez audio directly from the labels and my personal buying experiences are primarily with Reference Recordings, Linn, Blue Coast Records, 2L, Acousence Records, Soundkeeper Recordings and High Definition Tape Transfers. I have also bought several DVD-As directly from AIX Records since the 24/96 tracks can easily be extracted by anyone. I have also bought Kent Poon’s Audiophile Jazz Prologue III and one high rez download from HDtracks, which is a 3rd party vendor and not a record label.

I also prefer to buy my high rez audio as music files on DVD-R data discs for permanent backup and legal reasons as opposed to downloading digital files.

I personally feel that many high rez downloads from 3rd party vendors may be suspect but to me this is no different than the dubious nature of many SACDs that often come from inferior PCM formats.

Have you done an Audacity spectrum on any of the tracks from that Kent Poon album? I did that some time ago and was surprised by what I saw (I posted the results in a different thread here). I wonder if you'll get the same results.....

Russell

and I not quite sure what to make of the results. I believe Bruce Brown discusses a similar problem that anyone using Weiss Saracon will see a sharp drop after 22kHz.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3534-Weiss-Saracon

The question I have is that if you apply a steep filter to any high rez audio such as 24/192 or 24/96 files and there is no content above 22kHz, will the resulting 24/192 file below 22kHz still sound significantly better than the similar 24/96 or 16/44.1 file? Have you compared the tracks from Kent Poon album that were provided in various resolutions from 16/44.1 to 24/192? I have and I hear slight improvements with each higher resolution, though the audio content never goes above 22kHz.

Do higher harmonics affect lower harmonics and frequencies? I think they do so if you use a steep filter to avoid high frequency nasties, what remains below that filter should still be better from a high rez file than a lower rez file.

I have also performed several Audacity spectrum analyses on 24/96 albums from AIX Records. Some albums show no audio content above 15kHz, while other albums show audio content to 40kHz. What audio equipment did AIX Records use to produce these albums and why such a difference between albums?

Or how about Reference Recordings that I have the highest respect for? The last two HRx discs I bought clearly state that the enclosed DVD-R data disc contains a 176.4 kHz/24 bit digital transfer from the original Reference Recordings analogue master tapes. What audio spectrum should one expect from analog tape and are there likely wide variances depending on many factors?

I don't know the answer to many of the above questions and frankly to paraphrase Clark Gable, I don't give a damn. What I do know is that the music I have bought from Kent Poon, AIX Records and Reference Recordings sounds fantastic (some of the best digital music one can find) and I'm sure they all use different methods to create excellent recordings.