IGNORED

Audirvāna for LINUX and NAS

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@Jud have you tried it?

I can’t wait to return from Axpona to try it myself. 

Heck yeah. So far, subjectively I feel the best sound quality is when running on Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS (low latency kernel).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi,

I get it works on Fedora 39 with my W4S DAC connected to USB port and it sounds good, yet.

But I have no sound with Diretta ALSA driver and Diretta DST-00 I2S-LVDS target.

It's perhaps a problem of buffer access. Diretta ALSA driver expects RAW mode and perhaps Audirvana uses MMAP mode.

I will try with Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS today. 😉

Of course, I think it will not work with Diretta ALSA driver; I suppose.

4 hours ago, Le dom said:

Hi,

I get it works on Fedora 39 with my W4S DAC connected to USB port and it sounds good, yet.

But I have no sound with Diretta ALSA driver and Diretta DST-00 I2S-LVDS target.

It's perhaps a problem of buffer access. Diretta ALSA driver expects RAW mode and perhaps Audirvana uses MMAP mode.

I will try with Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS today. 😉

Of course, I think it will not work with Diretta ALSA driver; I suppose.

I suppose you have seen this? (I don’t know anything about installing this driver, but this is something that came up in a web search.) https://patatorz.com/docs/diretta-for-linux-installation-of-alsa-drivers/

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Le dom said:

I've just tried it with UPMPDCLI + MPD and it's OK using Raw mode for buffer access.

So would I be correct in thinking USB and UPnP/DLNA will work, but I2S/LVDS remains a problem?

Yes, you're right.

In fact, my Diretta DST-00 interface is working using UPnP/DLNA via UPMPDCLI + MPD with the Diretta ALSA driver because MPD support RAW mode and MMAP mode. In this case MPD player is set with RAW mode access buffer to be compliant with the Diretta ALSA driver. If MPD is set with MMAP mode, Diretta ALSA driver doesn't work anymore.

This is the reason why I suspect Audirvana using MMAP mode for buffer access.

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

It can't see my mounted SSD so I am unable to add any music...

I get a request error when trying to add my ZFS pool, which it can see.

Just a note here to mention you later resolved this, in case anyone else comes along and wonders if there’s a solution.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Just a note here to mention you later resolved this, in case anyone else comes along and wonders if there’s a solution.

Yes I did, I changed the patah of the SSD with music files on it from /media/jason/HQPMusic to /media/HQPMusic and it worked like a charm.

No electron left behind.

Installed Alsa Diretta driver on ubuntu 23

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: DirettaBF0E [TargetApp_24F7], device 0: TargetApp_24F7:Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 - RED [Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 - RED]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
But if trying connecting via Audirvana linux get
ALSA lib control_hw.c:122:(snd_ctl_hw_subscribe_events) SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_SUBSCRIBE_EVENTS failed: No such device

And it crash the Host and nothing yet in aplay -l

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.

16 hours ago, BudhaNL said:

This is fortunate timing as my Roon subscription just ended and as usual I have issues with payment for renewal.

'Just' a key question: is it possible to install this on a Silent Angel Rhein? 

The Silent Angel operating system is VitOS based on Arch Linux. There currently isn’t a prebuilt package for Arch that I’m aware of, so installation would take a bit of Linux knowledge (assuming that the operating system as configured by Silent Angel allows installation of third party software).

If you’re asking whether you could blow away what’s installed now and start from scratch (none of the preexisting software or features) with something like Ubuntu, then it’s an Intel motherboard, so yes it should be possible.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

The Silent Angel operating system is VitOS based on Arch Linux. There currently isn’t a prebuilt package for Arch that I’m aware of, so installation would take a bit of Linux knowledge (assuming that the operating system as configured by Silent Angel allows installation of third party software).

If you’re asking whether you could blow away what’s installed now and start from scratch (none of the preexisting software or features) with something like Ubuntu, then it’s an Intel motherboard, so yes it should be possible.

Thank you! Having a huge potential to learn about Linux or Ubuntu, but not quite as much interest/talent, I guess this isn't for me unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, DomiJi said:

Hello Audirvana lovers out there,

Does anyone managed to install the .deb package to a DietPi Distribution?

Best

Dominik

Someone else has. Be sure you have avahi-daemon installed and running.

8 hours ago, Apollo said:

I am a user of Audiolinux, and just installed Audirvana Origin via Audiolinux's menu.

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:
What is the processor of the machine you installed it on?  
Where are you storing your music library (elsewhere on you network? Directly attached?) And how did you point Audirvana to your library?

Do you upsample (with built in R8brain), and if so, how high?
What app/device do you control with?

And how/where do you edit metadata for your library since Audirvana for Linux is headless and remote apps don’t let you manipulate much?

Sorry, I guess that’s more than a couple of questions.9_9 (But I have very specific reasons for each of them.)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

A couple of questions if you don’t mind:

Where are you storing your music library (elsewhere on you network? Directly attached?) And how did you point Audirvana to your library?

Do you upsample (with built in R8brain), and if so, how high?
What app/device do you control with?

And how/where do you edit metadata for your library since Audirvana for Linux is headless and remote apps don’t let you manipulate much?

Sorry, I guess that’s more than a couple of questions.9_9 (But I have very specific reasons for each of them.)

Thanks!

Where are you storing your music library?

My Audiolinux server is built for running Roon + HQPlayer on the same machine , here is the description:

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

-        Audiolinux Server, running on Audiolinux V3, Intel i9 13900K processor, 32GB RAM, 1 HD Samsung SSD 512GB
         for OS+apps Roon/HQPlayerEmbedded + 2 HD Samsung 4TB SSD for local music

-        Roon version 2.0 build 1401

-        HQPlayer:  HQPlayer Embedded 5.5.2-1

Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

-        iPad Air Pro – 128GB - running iPadOS 17.4 -  Roon version 2.0.1382

-        Samsung S23 – running Android version 14 – Roon version 2.0.1382   Wifi 6

-        Laptop running Windows 11 Pro - 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz Ram 16GB, Roon
         version 2.0.1382

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

-        Ethernet & Wifi Mesh network built on 4 * Asus Zenwifi XT8

-        Connected to Service Provider modem

-        Speedtest connection speed ethernet 220Mbps download – 18Mbps upload

-        Roon Core connected via ethernet, laptop (remote) connected via ethernet

-        Mobile Remotes connected via Wifi6  (135 Mbps download – 18 Mbps upload)

Audio devices in use

-        T+A 200 DAC connected via USB to Holo Audio Red USB connected to ethernet

-        Endpoints : 1 * Cambridge Audio CXN v2 , connected via ethernet

Library details

-        Local library on separate internal 2*4TB SSD hard disks in Roon Server

-        36774 tracks (2537 local albums, 7 Qobuz album)

Backup details

-        Location 1 : SSD disk in  Core Machine - 200GB capacity

-        Location 2 : Synology NAS 10,8 TB capacity

-        Location 3 : USB disk connected to Synology NAS - 7,2 TB capacity

I have also installed Minimserver and now Audirvana Origin.

I only enable 1 Music server application at the same time, so when running Audirvana, neither Roon or Minimserver are enabled , and viceversa.

And how did you point Audirvana to your library?

I point Audirvana directly to my local music folders on the internal music discs (mounted in Media folder in Audiolinux)

Do you upsample (with built in R8brain), and if so, how high? No, I do not, I am using HQPlayerEmbedded.

I convert/upsample  both PCM and DSD  to DSD512.

What app/device do you control with?  Main (but not exclusively) control device is iPad Air Pro.

I edit metadata on a Windows 11 PC with either dbPoweramp (for basic functions) and MP3TAG for more advanced functions,.

I then copy the edited files to my Audiolinux server (internal discs are made accessible in Windows by adding network location).

Hope this answers your questions

Dirk