IGNORED

Intel NUC Discontinued

Intel has officially said the NUC is discontinued. 

We have decided to stop direct investment in the Next Unit of Compute (NUC) Business and pivot our strategy to enable our ecosystem partners to continue NUC innovation and growth. This decision will not impact the remainder of Intel’s Client Computing Group (CCG) or Network and Edge Computing (NEX) businesses. Furthermore, we are working with our partners and customers to ensure a smooth transition and fulfillment of all our current commitments – including ongoing support for NUC products currently in market. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It is sad, because some of the Intel NUC's, while expensive were some of the most quiet and speedy ones on the market. Any time a market loses a competitor, the less the market has to innovate.

Like this one...

Intel NUC 12 Extreme Kit ('Dragon Canyon') Review | PCMag

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

It is sad, because some of the Intel NUC's, while expensive were some of the most quiet and speedy ones on the market. Any time a market loses a competitor, the less the market has to work.

Like this one...

Totally agree. 

I know Roon has used a NIC as the board in the Nucleus as well. Not sure if the latest models still use it though. 

NUC is also one of those platforms that just works because it’s x86/64. No wondering about Arm support etc…

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Their lowest power CPU's, the last Celerons, were just fantastic for doing exactly that with not much cooling.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I have one Celeron NUC and one Ryzen R9 4900H - both are plenty for what I use. The Celeron one is a Gigabyte.

I am still using an Intel 60 GB SSD, for when I play with Daphile - just for the software - music somewhere else.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Damn shame, I own 3 x i5 NUC's used for various purposes and they all work great. The seem fairly bulletproof too. The one I have is operating in a pretty unfriendly environment in terms of heat and its been that way for at least 3yrs now powered on 24/7/365. It doesn't seem to care. 

I guess the next best thing at this point is to buy one of the various Industrial platforms out there with DIN mounts..etc

On 7/14/2023 at 3:01 AM, botrytis said:

It is sad, because some of the Intel NUC's, while expensive were some of the most quiet and speedy ones on the market. Any time a market loses a competitor, the less the market has to innovate.

Like this one...

I have been purchased 4 NUCs in 10 years, and IMO this NUC 12 Extreme, more specifically my NUC12DCMI9 is the worst product, its UEFI bios has compatibility issue with some PCIe cards, loud CPU fan, no SATA ports, and poor customizability of LED control software, the case is too large for NUC. 13th gen Extreme NUC is even worse with even larger case so I skipped it

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

Intel Is Planning Thousands of Job Cuts in Face of PC Slump

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-11/intel-is-planning-thousands-of-job-cuts-in-face-of-pc-slowdown

Intel: Losing R&D Leadership
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4588172-intel-losing-r-and-d-leadership

Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) Stock Loses 41% in 2022
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/intel-nasdaq:intc-stock-loses-41-in-2022-should-you-invest

Intel Net Income/Loss 2010-2023 | INTC
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/INTC/intel/net-income-loss

• Intel net income/loss for the quarter ending March 31, 2023 was $-2.768B, a 134.12% decline year-over-year.
  • Intel net income/loss for the twelve months ending March 31, 2023 was $21.586B, a 58.21% decline year-over-year.
  • Intel annual net income/loss for 2022 was $8.017B, a 59.65% decline from 2021.
  • Intel annual net income/loss for 2021 was $19.868B, a 4.93% decline from 2020.
  • Intel annual net income/loss for 2020 was $20.899B, a 0.71% decline from 2019.

Intel Loses Historic $8bn in Market Value with Disappointing Q4 2022 Result
https://www.tekedia.com/intel-loses-historic-8bn-in-market-value-with-disappointing-q4-2022-result/

The worst of the company’s revenue drop came from its Client Computing Group (CCG), comprising its desktop and laptop CPUs, which fell 36% to $6.6 billion.

Intel loses $2.8 billion in another not-great quarter, down 36% year over year
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/04/intel-loses-2-8-billion-in-another-not-great-quarter-down-36-year-over-year/

https://www.techspot.com/news/98501-intel-posts-biggest-quarterly-loss-company-history-processor.html

Intel isn't in great shape right now. The tech giant's Q1 2023 revenues fell 36 percent year-over-year to $11.7 billion – the largest drop recorded by the company in its 55 years of existence. While it did pay dividends of over $1.5 billion, investors are worried about the long-term profitability of the company as its gross margin dropped from 50.4 percent in Q1 to 34.2 percent in the first quarter of this year.

NUCs support NVME, and SATA M.2 cards. There is a small SATA port, but not a standard one.

There are no PCIE slots.

I recently ordered a NUC12, and plan to install it in an Akasa fanless enclosure, so no noisy fan. That case comes with the 2.5 SSD Sata cable to include a separate SATA SSD drive in the enclosure.

Glad to have snagged a modern NUC before they become unobtainable. My NUC6 has been solid for many years.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

UPDATE:

Intel and ASUS Agree to Term Sheet to Take Intel NUC Systems Product Line Forward

Intel and ASUS agree to term sheet to manufacture, sell and support 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems product line and to develop future innovative NUC systems product designs.

What’s New: Today, Intel announced it has agreed to a term sheet with ASUS, a global technology solution provider, for an agreement to manufacture, sell and support the Intel® Next Unit of Compute (NUC) 10th to 13th generations systems product line, and to develop future NUC systems designs.

“Our NUC systems product team delivered unique products that spurred innovation in the ultra-small form factor market. As we pivot our strategy to enable ecosystem partners to continue NUC systems product innovation and growth, our priority is to ensure a smooth transition for our customers and partners. I am looking forward to ASUS continuing to deliver exceptional products and supporting our NUC systems customers.”

–Sam Gao, Intel vice president and general manager of Intel Client Platform Solutions

Why It Matters: Intel is pivoting its strategy to enable ecosystem partners to continue NUC systems product line innovation and growth. ASUS’s expertise and track record delivering industry-leading mini PCs to customers make it ideally suited to continue driving innovation and growth in NUC systems products.

“Thank you, Intel, for your confidence in us to take the NUC systems product line forward. I am confident that this collaboration will enhance and accelerate our vision for the mini PC – greatly expanding our footprint in areas such as AI and AIoT,” said Joe Hsieh, ASUS chief operating officer. “We are committed to ensuring the excellent support and service that NUC systems customers expect.”

What’s Next: Under the proposed agreement, ASUS will receive a non-exclusive license to Intel’s NUC systems product line designs, enabling it to manufacture and sell 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems products and develop future designs. This will enable ASUS to provide product and support continuity for Intel NUC systems customers. ASUS will establish a new business unit called ASUS NUC BU.

Forward Looking Statements

This press release contains forward looking statements regarding the planned agreement between Intel and ASUS. Such forward looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied, including: the risk that the parties may be unable to reach a definitive agreement in a timely manner or at all; the risk that the expected benefits of the agreement, including the ability to effectively continue the NUC systems product line, may not be realized; the high level of competition and rapid technological change in the computer systems industry; and other risks and uncertainties described in Intel’s earnings release dated April 27, 2023, 2022 Annual Report on Form 10-K and other filings with the SEC. All information in this press release reflects Intel management views as of the date hereof unless an earlier date is specified. Intel does not undertake, and expressly disclaims any duty, to update such statements, whether as a result of new information, new developments, or otherwise, except to the extent that disclosure may be required by law.

https://wccftech.com/intel-selects-asus-to-develop-current-next-gen-nuc-mini-pcs/

So, Intel will ASUS to develop the next generation NUCs for them.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590