IGNORED

Finally, I have the DAC I have wanted for years.. Signalyst DSC(2)

8 hours ago, LowOrbit said:

I have one of those (v2.6 as I recall). Output levels are a little low, so needs a preamp but sounds very, very good.

yeah the ifi ZEN CAN headphone amp has more than enough gain for it, even at a 6:1 impedance ratio.  ( my DCS2 was originally modified for a headamp with 47k input impedance, thus the higher 3k ohm output impedance.  Currently I am using a cheap SMPS for power, but have a 9 volt iFi XPower on order.  It has good PSU noise regulation (The DSC) so even the cheap supply is working really well.  

On 6/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, davide256 said:

Am curious, how did this get made? DIY all the way, kit or did someone else cobble it together? Have been thinking about getting a DSD only DAC

to complement HQPlayer

i did not make it.  I was lucky enough to get it from someone else who had it built by Pavel himself.  As I understand it.  Perhaps I am wrong, but one thing I know, is I did not build it.  

It did not have many hours on it when I received it.  I know some do not subscribe to break-in, but the more it plays, the better it sounds.  Understanding that psychology can play a factor, I don't believe that is the case.  As time goes by, the frequency response seems to be 'extending'.  At first it sounded super warm, which I expected since it is transformer output.  BUT, as I have let it run for about 48 hours straight, the top end seems to be opening up.   

I will be making a full set of measurements on it soon.  (E1DA Cosmos ADC and APU hardware with Multitone, ARTA, and REW as my primary software choices)

9 hours ago, LowOrbit said:

I think most of these originate from a Group Buy on DIYAudio.

The gerbers are/were available also so you could fabricate or get made pcbs. Component count is quite high - I wouldn't be able to hand solder one of these. Mask and flow the only realistic method. 

yeah, you can't just procure one with ease.  which is why I jumped all over the chance to grab one when i had it.  

I posted this over in my SMSL D300 DAC thread, but it really belongs here.  

First, I am not using the cleanest power source yet... iFi X Power 9 volt yet to arrive so I am on a really cheap SMPS of which I do not know the provenance or how noisy it is.  Also, the E1DA Cosmos ADC has a very low input impedance, so it isn't a great match for the DSC DAC output transformer's high output impedance, which can make getting enough 'juice' out of the DAC to the ADC difficult.  

Both of those things admitted, Here is what I did indeed get today attempting a J-test measurement in Multitone.  Very, very impressive especially given the less than optimal situation.  Cleaner, much much cleaner than some other Native DSD DACs we are very aware of that cost close to 10 Grand ;)   The noise floor (note, NOT MUTED) is better than -120db (A)!!!!!  

well... on to the jitter graph....

SIGNALYST DSC2 Jitter at DSD256.png