IGNORED

SRC-DX not going above 386khz on Mac

Hi everyone, 

I recently purchased a secondhand SRC-DX (with a "2020" serial number) and am trying to use it with my M1 MacBook Pro running the Ventura 13.3.1. I can't seem to get sample rates above 386khz to work. The Single BNC LED never switches to Dual BNC, and Core Audio through Audio Midi and Colibri both say that the SRC-DX is only capable of outputting up to 386khz (images attached). Have also tried various USB cables with no different effect.

I'm not able to update the firmware of the SRC-DX yet without access to a Windows machine, but not sure if that would make a difference.

Has anyone ever come across this issue before? 

Thanks!

PastedGraphic-2.tiff PastedGraphic-1.tiff

Full setup is: M1 Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.3.1 -> USB-C to USB-A passive adapter -> USB-A to USB-B cable -> SRC-DX -> Dual BNC to 3.5mm cable -> Chord Mojo 2 -> Meze Elite headphones. 

As far as software, I've tried to play 705/768Khz tracks with HQplayer 5.0.0 and Colibri, and neither initiate the Dual BNC protocol on the SRC-DX. Both use the Core Audio backend, and as Core Audio isn't seeing 705/769Khz as an option, that's not a surprise. 

I don't have another computer to test with at the moment... is anyone else running an M1/M2 Mac with Ventura experiencing a similar issue? Can people usually see 705/768Khz as an option in Audio Midi Setup? 

16 hours ago, Pentagonal said:

SRC-DX -> Dual BNC to 3.5mm cable -> Chord Mojo 2

Not sure that’s the allowed configuration: SRC-DX page refers to Hugo or MScaler that have both double bnc input

Mojo2 has only one coax input and I doubt that a similar connection will work

What about using Mojo2 usb connected to the Mac? Can it reach 705/768? It should …

Stefano

My audio system

The Mojo 2 can support dual BNC in the same format as the M-scaler puts out (and it should certainly work with the SRC-DX - moon audio even makes a custom dual-BNC to 3.5mm TRS for this purpose). That said, the issue is still with either my Mac or the SRC-DX itself since the proper sample rates aren’t showing up in Core Audio. My unit may be defective and am working with Dan the designer on some troubleshooting. Will update when there’s more info.

The inability to go past 384khz sampling may be due to a USB issue.  SRC-DX's USB interface is based on the USB 2.0 signalling. There is high compatibility with various USB chipsets on computers/sources but some newer USB chipsets (such as in M1 macs) implement USB2 as a subset of USB4. I have yet to qualify this configuration. My MAC test platform is a 2018 Mac mini ...and here SRC-DX operates without issues to 768khz.

Dan (Audiowise)

Is the USB-C-to-A adaptor definitely USB 3? That is, is the plastic inside the USB-A connector blue, with 9 connectors?

But, more importantly, have you not considered asking the manufacturer? Surely they will know more than random people on a forum?

On 6/2/2023 at 10:45 PM, Currawong said:

IBut, more importantly, have you not considered asking the manufacturer? Surely they will know more than random people on a forum?

The post above yours is from the manufacturer... Audiowise.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3