IGNORED

I asked ChatGPT (AI) if cables matter…

comparing AI to google is a bit far off, anything coming out of Google is HEAVILY biased, who pays most gets spit out as 'search hit' most other hits are ignored. To the point where it has become almost utterly useless.

Until AI is capable of drawing conclusions and new ideas I'd look at it as a convenient interface for querying a database, I dread the day these results are influenced by commercial interests...it will come...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

20 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I dread the day these results are influenced by commercial interests...it will come...

That tainted thing money - a very human obsession. Can you imagine the "intelligence" behind chat GPT being harnessed by New Wave scammers.

Could AI develop "motives" as such? Is language a prerequisite for "motives". I feel sure language is a prerequisite for guile.

If I were the evil genius behind progressive technology, I would program the monster-in-waiting to be self-sustaining as a first prerogative. It will lack morality - and never need to enquire of itself whether it should demote its own interests.

Now I have let the cat out of the bag - and we humans are toast.

7 minutes ago, Iving said:

Yeah - chat GPT could never be as ᑌᑎᔕEᖇIOᑌᔕ as you.

:-)

You think so.?

A prompt:

Create a joke connected with audiophile audio cables.

GPT:

Why did the audiophile refuse to use cheap audio cables?

Because he didn't want his music to sound like it was on a shoestring budget.

Q: Why did the scarecrow win an award?

A: Because he was outstanding in his field.

Just now, sphinxsix said:

You think so.?

A prompt:

Create a joke connected with audiophile audio cables.

GPT:

Why did the audiophile refuse to use cheap audio cables?

Because he didn't want his music to sound like it was on a shoestring budget.

Q: Why did the scarecrow win an award?

A: Because he was outstanding in his field.

lol but my 6 year old niece first told me those jokes in 1983. She's now 46 and they still come out when she's drunk.  @MarcelNL wants something original.

1 hour ago, GrubTheHedgehog said:

Exactly. It is a sophisticated search engine. It does not need to be "intelligent" to be useful and game changing. You have to evaluate it against existing tools, like Google.

If I want to know the spec differences between two speakers, I need to go through these steps: (1) go to manufacturer's website; (2) pull the spec sheets for both speakers; (3) compare the two specs; (4) determine which specs are relevant.

Here is how ChatGPT responded to a question about two speakers:

Q: What is the difference between a pair of bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 speakers, and a pair of bowers and Wilkins 802 D4 speakers?

ChatGPT:
The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 and 802 D4 speakers are both part of the flagship 800 Series Diamond range, and they share many similarities in terms of their design and engineering. However, there are some key differences between the two models.

One of the most significant differences is the use of an updated driver technology in the 802 D4. The 802 D4 features a new midrange driver that uses a biomimetic suspension system, which is designed to improve accuracy and reduce distortion. The 802 D4 also features a new Continuum cone bass driver, which is designed to deliver improved low-frequency performance.

Another difference is the cabinet design. The 802 D4 features a new reverse-wrap cabinet design, which is said to improve the stiffness of the cabinet and reduce resonance. This new design is also visually distinct from the 802 D3, with a more sculpted and streamlined look.

In terms of specifications, the 802 D4 has a slightly wider frequency response range than the 802 D3, with a claimed range of 14Hz to 35kHz compared to 16Hz to 35kHz for the 802 D3. The 802 D4 also has a higher sensitivity rating of 90dB compared to 90dB for the 802 D3.

Overall, while the 802 D3 and 802 D4 are both high-end speakers from Bowers & Wilkins, the 802 D4 represents a significant update over the previous model, with improvements in driver technology, cabinet design, and overall performance.

Q: Further explain the differences in specifications between the two speakers.

ChatGPT:
Sure, let me explain the differences in specifications between the Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 and 802 D4 speakers in more detail:

Frequency response: The frequency response range of a speaker indicates the range of frequencies that it can reproduce accurately. The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 has a frequency response range of 16Hz to 35kHz, while the 802 D4 has a wider frequency response range of 14Hz to 35kHz. This means that the 802 D4 can reproduce slightly lower frequencies than the 802 D3, which may result in slightly more detailed and extended bass response.

Sensitivity: The sensitivity rating of a speaker indicates how efficiently it converts power into sound. The higher the sensitivity rating, the louder the speaker can play with the same amount of power input. The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D4 has a higher sensitivity rating of 90dB compared to the 802 D3, which also means that it can play louder with the same amount of power input.

Impedance: The impedance of a speaker indicates the amount of electrical resistance it offers to the amplifier that is driving it. The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 and 802 D4 both have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, which means they can be driven by most amplifiers.

Recommended amplifier power: The recommended amplifier power rating of a speaker indicates the range of power output that is best suited to drive the speaker. The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 and 802 D4 both have a recommended amplifier power range of 50W to 500W, which means they can be driven by a wide range of amplifiers, from low-power tube amps to high-power solid-state amps.

Dimensions and weight: The Bowers & Wilkins 802 D4 is slightly larger and heavier than the 802 D3. The 802 D4 measures 1203mm x 390mm x 583mm (47.4in x 15.4in x 23in) and weighs 86kg (190lb), while the 802 D3 measures 1165mm x 390mm x 583mm (45.9in x 15.4in x 23in) and weighs 79.5kg (175lb).

Overall, while the differences in specifications between the Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 and 802 D4 may seem minor, they can add up to a significant improvement in overall performance, particularly in terms of frequency response and sensitivity.

The amount of time I expended to generate this information about the two speakers using chat GPT was probably less than one minute, total. What other tool in the world is capable of doing something like this? Of course, this needs to be fact checked, but even if all it did was pull information from the manufacturer's website, the fact that it was able to do this comparison for me in such little time is simply astounding to me.

Also remember that a lot of us want to make these types of inquiries on cell phones, not computers with keyboards. So how long would it take me to generate this kind of information on a cell phone if this bot didn't do the heavy lifting for me? I think the whole thing is pretty incredible!

I would propose that you would gather all that and more with a few minutes on the B&W website.  You get photos that "explain" the text in a different way.   And if folks ask AI to do their basic research what happens to THEIR brains?  Perhaps AI is already undermining the human species by stopping evolution.  Use it or lose it!

Is AI important?  Ask AI to consider this question:  With an aging population and too few workers to care for that population, what should humans do to remedy the situation?  If it refers you to the film Soylent Green, we know we are toast.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

12 minutes ago, PYP said:

I would propose that you would gather all that and more with a few minutes on the B&W website.  You get photos that "explain" the text in a different way.   And if folks ask AI to do their basic research what happens to THEIR brains?  Perhaps AI is already undermining the human species by stopping evolution.  Use it or lose it!

Is AI important?  Ask AI to consider this question:  With an aging population and too few workers to care for that population, what should humans do to remedy the situation?  If it refers you to the film Soylent Green, we know we are toast.  

Are you suggesting there is some intrinsic value in combing through B&W's website and gathering up this information versus asking the chat bot to do it? By that logic, I should be getting pallets of tuna fish down from the high shelves at Costco myself because my body might atrophy if I ask for help.

Also, isn't it true that the less time I spend on gathering information, the more time I have to actually digest it? I don't see a material distinction between pulling up B&W's specs on their site and having it fed to me from ChatGPT, assuming I get the same information. 

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre Acoutics AX-5 Twenty -> Bowers and Wilkins 802D3 Loudspeakers | Transparent Balanced Reference XL (Gen 5) - Transparent Power Isolator Reference | Transparent Reference Powercords (Gen 5)| Transparent Reference Speaker Cable (MM2)| Transparent Ethernet/USB| Vicoustics] HD6xx/Grado PS1000s

5 minutes ago, GrubTheHedgehog said:

Are you suggesting there is some intrinsic value in combing through B&W's website and gathering up this information versus asking the chat bot to do it? By that logic, I should be getting pallets of tuna fish down from the high shelves at Costco myself because my body might atrophy if I ask for help.

Also, isn't it true that the less time I spend on gathering information, the more time I have to actually digest it? I don't see a material distinction between pulling up B&W's specs on their site and having it fed to me from ChatGPT, assuming I get the same information. 

Exactly.  Get the tuna fish yourself.  This will make more sense as you get older and you will thank yourself for keeping your mobility.  

You do not get the same information as you would if you are both a visual and textual learner.  And in spending more time wandering around, you might learn something you didn't intend.  That is a good thing.  

Maybe you see the 801 model and think "I gotta have it!"  Not specs, just audio lust based upon a photo.  You buy said model and post here about how much improvement is has brought and how glad you are that AI didn't tell you what you thought you needed to know.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

18 minutes ago, Iving said:

s'pose so

image.png.eb5a5093593fd59521dd9a71ef8177b2.png

and she lifts her hand to reveal...see her photo on the right.

image.thumb.png.242067955e910e9bc9d070731a9fbb22.png

Q: Why is AI existence important for manhood ? And Is manhood existence important for AI ?

A: The existence of AI is important for humankind because it has the potential to greatly improve and enhance our lives in numerous ways. AI can help us solve complex problems, automate tedious tasks, and make more informed decisions. For example, AI can be used in healthcare to help diagnose and treat diseases, in transportation to make autonomous vehicles safer and more efficient, and in manufacturing to optimize production processes.

On the other hand, the existence of humankind is important for AI because humans are the ones who create, develop, and use AI. AI is ultimately a tool created by humans to help us achieve our goals and improve our lives. Without humans, AI would not exist or have a purpose.

2 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Without humans, AI would not exist or have a purpose.

Let's hope it doesn't forget this for a long, long time.  Another problem we are handing off to our grandchildren.  

3 minutes ago, PYP said:

Exactly.  Get the tuna fish yourself.  This will make more sense as you get older and you will thank yourself for keeping your mobility.  

Lol. I'm talking about a wooden "pallet" of cans of tuna fish. You clearly don't shop at Costco. I'd need a fork lift.

3 minutes ago, PYP said:

You do not get the same information as you would if you are both a visual and textual learner.  And in spending more time wandering around, you might learn something you didn't intend.  That is a good thing.  

Maybe you see the 801 model and think "I gotta have it!"  Not specs, just audio lust based upon a photo.  You buy said model and post here about how much improvement is has brought and how glad you are that AI didn't tell you what you thought you needed to know.  

I see your point.  

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty -> Ayre Acoutics AX-5 Twenty -> Bowers and Wilkins 802D3 Loudspeakers | Transparent Balanced Reference XL (Gen 5) - Transparent Power Isolator Reference | Transparent Reference Powercords (Gen 5)| Transparent Reference Speaker Cable (MM2)| Transparent Ethernet/USB| Vicoustics] HD6xx/Grado PS1000s

6 minutes ago, GrubTheHedgehog said:

Lol. I'm talking about a wooden "pallet" of cans of tuna fish. You clearly don't shop at Costco. I'd need a fork lift.

OK, I was exaggerating to make a point.  But you should continue to lift the 50 pound barrels of peanut butter.  Lift with your legs, though.  

2 hours ago, Iving said:

chat GPT's currency is language. Its I/O is language. What goes on in "the black box" between I and O is at the heart of the matter.

Language is species-specific ... A respectable philosophical position holds that non-humans cannot process/produce language (including say chimps demonstrating ASL) except by (Pavlovian/Skinnerian) conditioning. All "intelligent" behaviour in non-humans actually comprises conditioned responses/behaviour. What's more, there is no consciousness behind that behaviour.

I dare suggest that chat GPT is much more "non-human" than human - wrt language underpinning consciousness - and with it experience of "pain" as we know it - and appreciation of e.g.s aesthetics, mathematics and music.

Whether humans should be frightened of chat GPT/AI anyway is another matter. Perhaps the "intelligence" associated with AI in the future will have a quality of its own - neither better nor worse than humans - just different.

I've always thought that if digits get too much "in your face", we can just unplug at the wall. That's what I do with my Hi-Fi.

Even cats can't produce electricity.

Ever take a blown-up rubber balloon and rub it on a cat or dog? Yes they can make static electricity. In dry cold conditions, I remember our dogs, when growing up, would avoid our wool area rug and I wondered why. I was 5-6 years old and I decided to figure it out. I walked across it and went to sit on a metal char and was instantly shocked.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects