IGNORED

Help with driver for Mytek and MAC

I just purchased the latest edition of a Mac mini to replace my old Mac mini that went South on me. I’ve contacted my tech and ask them for a driver. They sent me a link to download a driver for the old model stereo192. When I go to load the driver it says it’s not compatible with my Mac mini.  

what am I doing wrong? I have been using this DAV and old Mac mini for about NINE years.  

is it an issue where it’s just an old driver and won’t work with new hardware and newer operating system?

I’m asking here because Mytek has not been very responsive for me. 

thank you in advance for your help

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Also, do not forget, any Apple driver, etc. has to be QA/QC'd by Apple itself. That can cause delays.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I have the original Mytek Manhattan - Apple driver support for it ended some years ago. I believe this also applies to the 192.  See below, taken from their website.

My experience of Mytek support has not been good and they are a company I would not buy from again.

"FireWire connection in Stereo192-DSD DAC, Manhattan DAC (the first version) and 8x192 FireWire DIO card
does not work with newest Apple computers (from 2018 and higher).

*The Stereo192-DSD DAC and the Manhattan DAC (the first version) USB2 driver is NOT compatible with El Capitan/Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave."

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

I would just use USB.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

I would just use USB.

15 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I suppose it doesn’t exist on that dac ….

It does.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

It does.

Ah, sorry. I see that there also aren't drivers for USB with the newer Apple OS's. 

Well, a Windows laptop or a Linux based streamer might be the only solution. 

Or can you run Windows or Linux as a 2nd OS on your MAC - virtual or otherwise?

Not if it is an M1 or M2 Mac. As the Windows for ARM is not fully featured and can't run all the software.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Not if it is an M1 or M2 Mac. As the Windows for ARM is not fully featured and can't run all the software.

What about running Linux on it?

Linux has universally accepted USB drivers.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

What about running Linux on it?

Linux has universally accepted USB drivers.

Well, the weird BIOS ships that Apple uses (one is a 9-bit chip and I can't remember the other like 11-bit), might make it hard to get Linux running on an M1/M2 platform. Asahi linux is the only one currently out there that works on Mac Mini's. Not sure if it will work with the music software though.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I'm using the old Stereo192-DSD DAC still on my Intel based iMac (2019). Was doing that just today under macOS Ventura. Using Apple's Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter.

But it works also with a PC based NAA (under Linux) over Firewire if one wants to use HQPlayer on macOS. Or of course just running HQPlayer Embedded/Desktop locally. Up to DSD128 (over Firewire).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thank you all for jumping in to help. I don’t know enough about computers to digest all your suggestions. 

I have made so many come bracts to two different ppl at Mytek. I wish they would respond and tell me they can’t help or send me a solution. It’s really a disappointment that the responses I did get were a bunch of questions but when it came down to the non compatible driver they sent me all communications have stopped. 

I am not much help to myself due to my lack of computer experience. I’m not only good if it’s “plug and play”.  

maybe it’s time to purchase a new dac and move on.  The thought is disappointing but it’s may have no choice.   

while I don’t understand many of the above replies it does sound like my old stereo192 Mytek is not compatible with my new Mac mini.   My old Mac mini and stereo192 worked well together using USB connection.   Am I at least correct if I just want simple plug and play?

kind regards 

50 minutes ago, HIFI said:

while I don’t understand many of the above replies it does sound like my old stereo192 Mytek is not compatible with my new Mac mini.   My old Mac mini and stereo192 worked well together using USB connection.   Am I at least correct if I just want simple plug and play?

You can also turn your old Mac Mini into a NAA (or some other protocol) and run player on the new Mac. Your old one becomes just a network endpoint. Maybe not the easiest solution to set up, but least expensive.

This was practically the first consumer playback unit capable of playing DSD from a computer. Unfortunately neither of the USB interface company nor the company making the Firewire chipset seems to exist anymore. But the Firewire side is better supported because it has been used in a lot of pro-audio equipment over about two decades.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can also turn your old Mac Mini into a NAA (or some other protocol) and run player on the new Mac. Your old one becomes just a network endpoint. Maybe not the easiest solution to set up, but least expensive.

This was practically the first consumer playback unit capable of playing DSD from a computer. Unfortunately neither of the USB interface company nor the company making the Firewire chipset seems to exist anymore. But the Firewire side is better supported because it has been used in a lot of pro-audio equipment over about two decades.

Unfortunately that would be too difficult for me to do because I just don’t understand all this computer stuff.

I but if I understand correctly I shouldn’t have any compatibility trouble with newer DSD DAC’s available today and the latest Mac Mini available today ….correct ?

1 hour ago, HIFI said:

Unfortunately that would be too difficult for me to do because I just don’t understand all this computer stuff.

I but if I understand correctly I shouldn’t have any compatibility trouble with newer DSD DAC’s available today and the latest Mac Mini available today ….correct ?

Should be correct. But always check before you buy.

• 2 weeks later...