IGNORED

Football (Soccer) World Cup Anthems

It is the start of the Football World Cup Finals. (or Soccer World Cup for some)

Perhaps this is a time to revise usual listening habits and make some time for a top tune or two to cheer on your team?

Certainly for England fans such as myself, there are many and varied tunes to select to cheer on the team, ranging from some great classic tunes, to the truly terrible.

I somehow suspect that this thread will struggle to gain much traction here, but you never know, I am always optimistic, you have to be optimistic to remain an England fan.

But it would be great we could share some of the great World Cup Anthems from around the world. Or even some of the terrible ones, or fun ones. It's a free for all!

I am actually genuinely interested to know what tunes might be played around the world over the next weeks of the tournament.

What World Cup Anthem are you listening to tonight?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I shall start with one of my favorites.  Fat Les' "Vindaloo". (1998) Written by Keith Allen (father of Lilly), Blur's Alex James, and bassist Guy Pratt.

Back in '98, this not only became a huge hit, but was also a little controversial, deemed by some as harking back to dark days of England hooliganism. I recall a Keith Alan interview at the time when he made a quip about being amused by the concept of racist England football fans chanting "Vindaloo", which has to be some sign of multiculturalism. Somewhat ironically, Keith Allen is Welsh, but I would not hold that against him, unless we end up with England versus Wales in the final that is.

For me though, it is a great tune and good fun to play when cheering on the mighty England.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Deleted ....

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

This is the first one that pops up in my head! 😁

Your head must be a most curious place Cornan ....

Anyway, a magnificent track and exactly what I was hoping for in this thread, musical curiosities from around the world.

How about this splendid track, by New Order no less. It also features the infamous John Barnes rap. It turns out that John Barnes was a better rapper than he was a midfielder. Who would have guessed.

And one from Elvis....

This has just become my fave thread on AS. Apologies upfront if some of my future posts are slightly OT but the weather here is slightly ..OT.. 😎

Although the Netherlands has been my new homeland only for 5 years, I've been a fan of the Oranje team since 1974.. It's natural than that I will begin with a 1974 Scottish song, I think..

Some explanation why one could love Dutch total football back then.

This is how the 1974 WC final began - the Germans didn't even touch the ball before the penalty (BTW in primary school I was nicknamed after the guy which appears at 0:10 sec 😎)

1, 2, 3, 4 passes...

But as Gary Lineker said "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

Beside that Dutch football teams have the best anthems, there's no doubt about that.!

BTW UEFA sucks..😉

41 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

This has just become my fave thread on AS. Apologies upfront if some of my future posts are slightly OT but the weather here is slightly ..OT.. 😎

Although the Netherlands has been my new homeland only for 5 years, I've been a fan of the Oranje team since 1974.. It's natural than that I will begin with a 1974 Scottish song, I think..

Some explanation why one could love Dutch total football back then.

This is how the 1974 WC final began - the Germans didn't even touch the ball before the penalty (BTW in primary school I was nicknamed after the guy which appears at 0:10 sec 😎)

1, 2, 3, 4 passes...

But as Gary Lineker said "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

Beside that Dutch football teams have the best anthems, there's no doubt about that.!

BTW UEFA sucks..😉

No more pele-mele, Johannes?😉

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Warning! This one unwillingly gets inside your head.

Are you joking.? Such stuff leaves my head faster than it gets into it..😉

Ok.. there may be something wrong with me, I can't exclude that.. 

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

No more pele-mele, Johannes?😉

@DuckToller One more thing - I knew you'd check who's there at 0:10.. 😎 😁

I've always tended to think that the backing vocals choir on this whole album was inspired by stadium chants.

How about reaching for a couple of them.?

11 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@DuckToller One more thing - I knew you'd check who's there at 0:10.. 😎 😁

Sorry to dissapoint you, I didn't.

I know the important data from this game by heart, and honestly who would have loved to be called Gerd or Bernd, Sepp, Uli or Wolfgang on the school yard ?

Perhaps Franz, but he wasn't that important in that match, imho.

The two Johan(nes) from the pay bas, otoh, were most important for their team . Glad it matched. Could have gone wrong as well.

But who would like to be named after a player who can't keep his eyes open when shooting penalty?

BTW, I loved Rob Rensenbrink for his performances in this tournament. And the hair of Rene vdK. I was 10 years old.

22 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

And the hair of Rene vdK.

Oh c'mon the best hair belonged in 1974 to Mario Kempes!

MKempes_g

Beside that ..his legs were just fantastic! 😉

Although the best shooter of the tournament, Lato  IMO also had (hair)style.

cf2a12dd17e745c951cca1340852fe29.jpg

No competition for Kempes in the legs department, though..😉

4 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW UEFA sucks..😉

FIFA too. My proposal - 90% windfall tax for both and for every player making more than 5000 per month.. Let's go back in time to when the money wasn't as important..

Some 1974 goals.

How about some historical gear.? 

As for music, 3.2 B views on Youtube speak for themselves - men's legs are meaningless after all.. (so windfall tax them!)