IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of ... Pharoah Sanders - Karma

Thanks so much for this one @JoshM. To be honest, I'd never listened to this album and knew almost nothing about Pharoah Sanders, before reading this. I'm certainly listening to Karma right now though!

I love that he didn't alter his music to fit on to a single side of an LP. Fade it out and flip it over! This, in contrast to some artists creating shorter songs to make more money on streaming services, is refreshing. 

So many other nuggets in this article, I'm re-reading it (more than once).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

I know this site is all about digital, but it would be interesting to see how the dynamic range and frequency response compares to the original 1969 analog release... available on vinyl, 8 track, and cassette 😊

keep up the good work.. appreciate all your efforts

I'm going to put up a post on Club TBVO about that, along with some sound clips. The short answer is that I found two vinyl transfers, but despite supposedly being the same pressing, they had quite different EQ from each other. The two CDs' dynamics are very similar to the vinyl, though.

As a reminder, please head on over to Club TBVO to see how the vinyl releases stack up and download some audio samples from both CD versions and the original vinyl. 

I'm also excited to say that I'll be interviewing the great Lonnie Liston Smith soon. I'll update this TBVO with his memories after the interview, and I'll likely post the full interview, too. Beyond his playing with Sanders, Miles Davis, and other legends, Smith's solo work is amazing if you like "spiritual jazz" or jazz-funk. In particular, I'd recommend checking out his album 1974 Expansions.

• 2 weeks later...