IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

like all setups, noise and interference are major problems, and currently working on getting an optimum solution to improving the optical waveform characteristics - 'jitter reduction', is the bottleneck, right now.

Maybe start by replacing the low end CD player you use to reduce the jitter to the setup. Investigate known players with low jitter as a start, and then purchase one. Problem solved with the source. If you want to go to computer use to the Alpha USB converter to the Edifiers via coax. It has known values for jitter reduction and well documented. 

"Two key factors combine to achieve the excellent audio performance of the Alpha USB; the unprecedented degree of electrical isolation between the USB input connection and the digital audio output and the very low noise/low jitter performance of the individually tested audio output master clocks".

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

For somebody who claims to be on the side of science, you seem not to realise how silly what you just said is ... if you have a variety of CD players, as input to some system, one of which has the worst possible jitter characteristics you could imagine, and another one, is effectively perfect in this regard, and the others are in between - the goal would be to eliminate any audible differences, irrespective of player was used. And to you, that is a "fake idea", :).

Until yours materializes, it's a idea. 

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Actually, the fun thing to do would be to have access to the rigs of some of you people, for a day or so, and work out some of the easy to fix, obvious bottlenecks to getting better SQ from them ... of course, I wouldn't get any thanks for doing this, x-D.

I think having access to your setup first for all us novices would be the best start. All might have a baseline to run from...... Maybe we can teach you something about audio reproduction.

15 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I posted an article form the late 70's - do all amps sound the same. Basically, DBT testing then showed people couldn't tell which amp was playing. It was a crap shoot if they could tell the difference.

This is what Frank is afraid of. That all his 'tweaks' will end up a big 'nothing burger'.

Or a shite sandwich.

58 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And the snake oil companies will send you a prayer of gratitude, for confirming that their market will happily sustain itself, indefinitely - why get meaningful answers, when you can just fork out money, for a little bit of expectation bias food :).

One can either get realistic SQ from recordings, or one can't. I've pointed to various people who aim for this, or have achieved it, using their own methods; therefore, these people are deluded, just like me ^_^, or are getting a real buzz from superior sound reproduction. If people need to feel that others can't get better results than they personally do, so be it - however, a reasonably intelligent individual would be curious about whether they could advance their understanding, and improve the standard they are getting. Which is exactly what the friend up the road did.

The only difference between them and you are the dollars rolling into the bank. The confirmation bias between the bogus manufacturer and you are the same. Get people to believe you made a improvement without verification. Carry on.