IGNORED

Article: Bangkok Trip Report: Final Part

Hi Sajid, great write-up. When I read the following, I thought to myself, it's a tough job, but someone had to do it :~)

"I had auditioned over 11 separate day-long critical listening sessions on my recent trip to Bangkok. This part will focus most only on flagship electrostatic headphones (and high-end DACs), starting with Stax’s latest offering, the much-awaited SR-X9000."

I really liked your honest take on the new Stax. Realizing a headphone isn't for you and honestly reporting that, and why, is very helpful for others thinking about the same product. I'm sure some people will think it's the best headphone ever produced, and that's totally cool, but a counterbalance is always nice. 

I was really happy to also read about your experience with the dCS APEX technology. 

"I first tried the Rossini APEX with the Shangri-La SR. There was an immediate and massive change in the Shangri-La JR’s presentation. It became the best sound I have ever heard off headphones. I was reminded of YouTubers and fellow audiophiles who insisted DACs do not make a difference, and I smiled."

Everyone I know has said similar things when listening through speaker systems. It's nice to read your opinion based on excellent headphone listening. Bravo!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Sajid, great write-up. When I read the following, I thought to myself, it's a tough job, but someone had to do it :~)

"I had auditioned over 11 separate day-long critical listening sessions on my recent trip to Bangkok. This part will focus most only on flagship electrostatic headphones (and high-end DACs), starting with Stax’s latest offering, the much-awaited SR-X9000."

I really liked your honest take on the new Stax. Realizing a headphone isn't for you and honestly reporting that, and why, is very helpful for others thinking about the same product. I'm sure some people will think it's the best headphone ever produced, and that's totally cool, but a counterbalance is always nice. 

I was really happy to also read about your experience with the dCS APEX technology. 

"I first tried the Rossini APEX with the Shangri-La SR. There was an immediate and massive change in the Shangri-La JR’s presentation. It became the best sound I have ever heard off headphones. I was reminded of YouTubers and fellow audiophiles who insisted DACs do not make a difference, and I smiled."

Everyone I know has said similar things when listening through speaker systems. It's nice to read your opinion based on excellent headphone listening. Bravo!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the write-up!

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Hi Hajid,

I really hated your honest take--but I really appreciate your honesty 😊

Until the X9000 was announced, I knew  for an absolute fact that my 009S's were the best headphone ever produced.  Since then I've been fantasizing about that perfect moment when I will upgrade to this new level of orgiastic bliss.  Alas, maybe I have to temper my expectations just a wee bit...

Seriously, great write up.  Very helpful.  Plus, it's super to see Stax, Abyss, RAAL, et al slugging it out to be the greatest--we are in a golden age of headphones

We are indeed.

Thanks for reading. 🙂

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Really great article. I regret having got rid of my SR009 headphones some years ago and have been thinking about which one of the new ones to replace them with. Your article decided me on the SR009S. Thank you. In reality they wouldn't even need to be better than the SR009.

Thank again Andrew

Thanks. Glad it helped. 

On 6/10/2022 at 1:47 PM, Mercman said:

Thank you for this thorough and entertaining review. While I have reached much different conclusions listening to the SR-X9000 driven by a Headamp Blue Hawaii SE, I still enjoyed reading your review.

Thanks. I love it when this happens, when people consider each other's opinions but reach different conclusions. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I make it out to Thailand every year or two (not counting the lost Covid years).  I'll be back out there next Dec and will keep this in mind.  Most of my time is spent visiting family as my wife is Thai and one of my friends decided to move there.  I also usually get some underwater time in as I first learned to dive there many years ago.  Some of the best diving in the world.  Khab Kun Krap.

John

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I make it out to Thailand every year or two (not counting the lost Covid years).  I'll be back out there next Dec and will keep this in mind.  Most of my time is spent visiting family as my wife is Thai and one of my friends decided to move there.  I also usually get some underwater time in as I first learned to dive there many years ago.  Some of the best diving in the world.  Khab Kun Krap.

John

Adore Thailand. Love the food, people, shopping, and of course the natural beauty of its numerous islands.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I already ordered the APEX upgrade for my Rossini, waiting for a timeslot to send it in. 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics