IGNORED

alternative to RPI

I don't know how are things elsewhere in Europe or in the US/APAC but in this region (Belgium, Germany, Netherlands) it is impossible to get the standalone RPI4 board. Only expensive bundles are sold, and the second hand market is dry or asking for prices way above the list price. 

I always had 2-3 RPIs around the house. One permanently used as a kitchen streamer and the extras or testing, experimenting etc. Last year I accidentally fried both extra units I have and as said above I don't see any chances I can replenish them anytime soon (at least not for 50 EUR). 

What are the alternatives in the SBC market. I am thinking of the Odroid (100+ EUR) or even getting a low powered X86 (although this presents a disadvantage as I require 12V, and I have a lot more 5V LPSs to play with). Any feedback SQ wise, SW wise (of course for audio playback purposes)? Or should I bite the bullet and pay a lot more for an RPI? 

Good questions - can't tell you the answers. Just waiting for a discussion to start.

First mini-PC I ever used, for streaming, was an old Duo Core Intel CPU. I bought it used (had a new 80 GB Intel SSD in it and bought it for 30 USD). That may be one way, but you may have to wait a bit to find one.

I am currently using a Ryzen 9-4900H mini-pc for my server. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Wow, no kidding!  $140 on Amazon US.  I assume it's due to the lack of parts right now.  It seems you can buy them cheaper if you go to the official RPi website and select your country.  At least they're under $100US--if they're in stock!

The problem with Odroid is that that you're going to be limited in terms of ready-made audio installations like Volumio, etc.

7 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Wow, no kidding!  $140 on Amazon US.  I assume it's due to the lack of parts right now.  It seems you can buy them cheaper if you go to the official RPi website and select your country.  At least they're under $100US--if they're in stock!

The problem with Odroid is that that you're going to be limited in terms of ready-made audio installations like Volumio, etc.

In Europe new prices are between 150 and 200 euros in "generalist" sites (Amazon and co.). The authorized resellers (those that are on the RPI official website) do not have stock. I don't think this will change anytime soon

19 minutes ago, al2813 said:

150 and 200 euros in "generalist" sites

On Amazon.it now

https://www.amazon.it/RASPBERRY-PI-ARM-Cortex-A72-Bluetooth-Micro-HDMI/dp/B07TC2BK1X/ref=sr_1_omk_6?crid=2FBDDDC1E9P4G&keywords=raspberry+pi+4&qid=1652684298&sprefix=Raspberry%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-6

anyway, even if Odroid can be cheaper which kind of sw can you run on it (audio related)

… and check https://www.melopero.com too

Stefano

My audio system

On 5/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, al2813 said:

I don't know how are things elsewhere in Europe or in the US/APAC but in this region (Belgium, Germany, Netherlands) it is impossible to get the standalone RPI4 board. Only expensive bundles are sold, and the second hand market is dry or asking for prices way above the list price. 

I always had 2-3 RPIs around the house. One permanently used as a kitchen streamer and the extras or testing, experimenting etc. Last year I accidentally fried both extra units I have and as said above I don't see any chances I can replenish them anytime soon (at least not for 50 EUR). 

What are the alternatives in the SBC market. I am thinking of the Odroid (100+ EUR) or even getting a low powered X86 (although this presents a disadvantage as I require 12V, and I have a lot more 5V LPSs to play with). Any feedback SQ wise, SW wise (of course for audio playback purposes)? Or should I bite the bullet and pay a lot more for an RPI? 

Buy Pi from China's Aliexpress instead

On 5/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, al2813 said:

This isn't bad, amperage requirements are low, can power at 5v DC.  $240 USD complete.  4gb RAM is its big limitation

https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html

I may try a Fitlet 3 next, does require 7v DC minimum but can flexibly configure, ~ $280 sans memory and drives

https://fit-iot.com/web/product/fitlet3-build-to-order/

both frequently used as HQP NAA

Regards,

Dave

Audio system