IGNORED

Cheap and easy fanless mod for Mac Mini M1 Music Server

Edd

5 hours ago, oneguy said:

Nice work man!

Also, love the feet under the server. I am using the same under mine.

Thanks oneguy

Yes love this feet. You won't be disappointed if you got the ceramic ball version . 

• 11 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 5:05 PM, gingerbrown said:

@Edd are you still running this mod? I’m really tempted to follow your example!

Yes I’m still running this m1 with my 1540 

custom DAC. It runs cool and stable inside my rack and I pair it with my Ferrum LPS which sound fantastic. It require no more than 2A so you have lot of LPS option. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Edd: WOW that looks great but I have never heard the fan on my 2021 M1 mac mini and it never gets the least bit warm but I don't have server set you do and i never heard the fan on my 2012 i7 16GB RAM mac mini either and use(d) both as server of sorts TIDAL/Qobuz/ROON/Audirvana Studio through Schiit Rggy and Ragarnok plus all the other stuff i do while listening to music. Is the fan on yours that noisy that you have to do all those special items you use? What about others out there do y'all have a hot M1 with loud fan noise that detracts from music listening? Just seems a lot of expensive work to me but it does look great-nice job!

bobbmd

On 4/19/2023 at 2:06 AM, gingerbrown said:

Thank you for replying @Edd
I have everything lined up ready to purchase. :-) 
I haven't handled heatsink removal & re-installation before. Do you have any insights/advice on the removal, cleaning & application of thermal paste in the context of an MMM1?

I use tissue paper, cotton swabs and alcohol pad to remove the thermal paste. 

Dont apply too much thermal paste, you want it spread thin and evenly. Also apply some paste between your new and original M1 heatsink. hope it helps 

4 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@Edd: WOW that looks great but I have never heard the fan on my 2021 M1 mac mini and it never gets the least bit warm but I don't have server set you do and i never heard the fan on my 2012 i7 16GB RAM mac mini either and use(d) both as server of sorts TIDAL/Qobuz/ROON/Audirvana Studio through Schiit Rggy and Ragarnok plus all the other stuff i do while listening to music. Is the fan on yours that noisy that you have to do all those special items you use? What about others out there do y'all have a hot M1 with loud fan noise that detracts from music listening? Just seems a lot of expensive work to me but it does look great-nice job!

bobbmd

Thanks bobbmd. 

This mod doesn't cost much. The hardest part is getting the right tool and heatsink.

The fan noise never bother me, Apple did a really great job of keeping the fan noise level down. What bother me the most is the fan itself. A fan is never a good thing in you system, just like your switching power supply which generates lot of interference. 

Pros of running M1 as music server: 

1. It can run most DSD 256 ASDM7ECv2 filter just fine. 

2. You can play around with lots of LPS to suit your sound preference since it only require around 2A to power up.  

3. This mod dont require too much mod to the M1 heatsink and you can restore it to the original state, The new MMM2 increased the power to 18W (M1 15W) so you need to mod/replace the original heatsink. 

4. Stable OS and easy to setup. Mine up for a few months and still running great. 

5. No fan 

To me MMM1 is the best music sever with passive cooling, It got the best balance between cost/ heat generation/ processing power and flexibility. 

21 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Is this even necessary???????????

I run my M1 Mac mini with Roon and HQPlayer and I never hear the fan. I guess I just don't get it.....

Since I run a streamer (Holo Audio Red) I don't care about any electrical noise which is minimal with the M1 Mac mini....

Well all those highest quality expensive music server use passive cooling like Taiko Audio. And this mod cost like $60 to mod so to me it worth a shot. 

You may not hear the difference right away depend on your gear but to me all this tiny improvement will all add up and will bring your system to different level. 

BTW Holo Audio Red is one of the best streamer i have ever tired. Great choice

3 hours ago, Edd said:

You may not hear the difference right away depend on your gear but to me all this tiny improvement will all add up and will bring your system to different level. 

I guess will have to agree to disagree. My M1 Mac mini running Roon and HQPlayer is far away from the Holo Audio Red streamer which feeds my Holo Audio May KTE via USB. I am using a well grounded NetGear GS108 switch which is low noise.

There is no way that running my M1 Mac mini fanless or with an LPS is going to make one bit of difference as to what comes out of my DAC or my speakers....nor would running some uber expensive audiophile switch.

5 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

I guess will have to agree to disagree. My M1 Mac mini running Roon and HQPlayer is far away from the Holo Audio Red streamer which feeds my Holo Audio May KTE via USB. I am using a well grounded NetGear GS108 switch which is low noise.

There is no way that running my M1 Mac mini fanless or with an LPS is going to make one bit of difference as to what comes out of my DAC or my speakers....nor would running some uber expensive audiophile switch.

There is a giant switching inside M1, and getting rid this switching off your power grid alone already bring difference to your system.

One point i do agree is that expensive switch may not bring 'improvement' to your system. 

They all sound difference but the difference is so small that not every system can show the 'improvement' of the switch. 

Anyway yes agree to disagree. 

14 hours ago, Edd said:

I use tissue paper, cotton swabs and alcohol pad to remove the thermal paste. 

Dont apply too much thermal paste, you want it spread thin and evenly. Also apply some paste between your new and original M1 heatsink. hope it helps 

Thank you @Edd
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'll send a photo of mine up & running, which will be thanks to you!

5 hours ago, Edd said:

There is a giant switching inside M1, and getting rid this switching off your power grid alone already bring difference to your system.

Not likely. The M1 Mac mini is on one power circuit while the entirety of my 2 channel system is on a big isolation transformer providing filtered and balanced power.

• 3 weeks later...

@Edd could you share details of the tool you used to screw the bolts into the heatsink please?
There is little space between the heads of the bolts & the body of the Schthe Choten SCCT-1000. I haven't been able to tighten them beyond finger tight yet.
I just ordered a couple of options for tools from Amazon but both are too tall.

12 minutes ago, gingerbrown said:

@Edd could you share details of the tool you used to screw the bolts into the heatsink please?
There is little space between the heads of the bolts & the body of the Schthe Choten SCCT-1000. I haven't been able to tighten them beyond finger tight yet.
I just ordered a couple of options for tools from Amazon but both are too tall.

I just use some cheap ass mini socket set from Home Depot. Similar to the one below. Yeah the spacing is a bit tricky . U better try it first. 

IMG_2688.jpeg