IGNORED

Article: World's First Atmos Music Downloads

I contacted 2L to ask about releasing TrueHD Atmos, and received a nice response form Morten Lindberg. Morten said 2L's lack of TueHD downloads is because of the lack of software players available for this content. In other words, not many people at home can actually play it

What is the down side for 2L if they make it available to download? They obviously have the files if they are available on disc. They could even charge a few extra Euros for making it available.

Is it just that he is unaware that some people can play these downloads?

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

8 minutes ago, bbosler said:

What is the down side for 2L if they make it available to download? They obviously have the files if they are available on disc. They could even charge a few extra Euros for making it available.

Is it just that he is unaware that some people can play these downloads?

My guess is that while Morten has been busy making music, he didn't realize we could play these files :~) 

Hopefully more people will encourage 2L to release TrueHD.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hello Chris,
I had similar experience with downloads from immersiveaudioalbum.com. I found that only one song from this Dolby Atmos download was playable for me. All the rest of the tracks were encoded in AC-4 and neither my oppo player nor the Denon x4500h understood the format. Currently, the successor x4700h is able to decode AC4. However, I have not yet contacted the supplier to point this out. Currently this reminds me of the introduction of the CD and later DAT where the industry tried with all available means to prevent copies. That was the death of DAT. I don't want to derail this thread but the whole thing is not fit for daily enjoyment from my point of view. There is a lack of WAF at all. For me it is important that my wife can enjoy easily 3d Audio, so there is no or less discussion about the amount of Loudspeaker necessary. This should be usable like a Sonos or Apple System with the same quality as we do with a huge amount of technical knowledge or work.
Now add AC4 to the mix and I have to seriously consider buying a new preamp that can be upgraded if possible. When I look at the situation that Auro-3D is available in lossless Flac, I lack the understanding for Dolby Atmos. With the market power with which Dolby tries to elimate the competitors is already very annoying. Nevertheless, I will also set up my system for Dolby Atmos, so at least set up the speakers so. I had the opportunity to enjoy via Livestreams of the Japanese Wowow channel immersive audio (Auro-3d with 96Khz) and it was remarkable to be in the concert hall on the other side of the earth not only with image but also acoustically in 3d sound. Something that is not possible in Dolby Atmos, as far as i know you can`t encode live in Dolby Atmos.

Last but not least, it is currently also not possible, only at prices such as a Trinnov device, to accomplish a room correction according to individual preference.

Chris i like you work and digging in that topic and i am looking forward what you will find out.

I am not yet familiar with AC4 as a transport for either DD+ or TrueHD.  I see that the Dolby Reference Player in Windows will decode that. I don’t know what a Mac can do. Chris, I suspect you’ve checked. 

If you run the output of the Music app on Mac or the DRP in Windows, you can use HQPlayer to apply sound correction filters. I use Audiolense XO and it works very well without any Trinnov, Marantz or other MCH preamp.  Superior sound at a substantially lesser price than a big processor. 

I will have to find that Japanese channel.  Actually, can you provide a link?  I can decode Auro-3D through my Marantz AV-8802A processor, but I don’t know of a software-based Auro-3D decoder. Anyone find such a thing yet?  JCR 

19 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

I am not yet familiar with AC4 as a transport for either DD+ or TrueHD.  I see that the Dolby Reference Player in Windows will decode that. I don’t know what a Mac can do. Chris, I suspect you’ve checked. 

If you run the output of the Music app on Mac or the DRP in Windows, you can use HQPlayer to apply sound correction filters. I use Audiolense XO and it works very well without any Trinnov, Marantz or other MCH preamp.  Superior sound at a substantially lesser price than a big processor. 

I will have to find that Japanese channel.  Actually, can you provide a link?  I can decode Auro-3D through my Marantz AV-8802A processor, but I don’t know of a software-based Auro-3D decoder. Anyone find such a thing yet?  JCR 

This was Test Channel where you had to download a APP and it was only available on the Mac Platform. They plan to bring this available for everybody. Wowow has been a leader in developing and testing transmission techniques for years now and 8K are produced with 22.1 audio. Here are some information about this events:

https://youtu.be/CPp1s_UaSlM

and

https://youtu.be/uBcyj1OFDI0

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must say, getting into immersive audio has simultaneously got me really interested in classical music. The genre is fantastic for immersive audio. It's kind of funny, the world's oldest music is great for the newest formats.

I am curious.  What aspects endowed by immersive audio are the cause of your new interest?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I am a bit confused.  Jriver bitstreams my Tru-HD Atmos files without problem to my Pre/Pro.  My pre/pro decodes the files as Tru-HD Atmos and sends them out just fine to my amps and speakers.  This is the same for PCM, MLP, etc.  I do have to send DSD to an external DAC, but Jriver does that too.

What is the issue?