IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Didn't realize he got banned! Too bad, he isn't a bad guy, just a bit annoying, posting the same things in nearly every thread, including the latest one he started, where he demanded that Amir prove him wrong by inviting him to his house for a blind test :)

I'm guessing that Amir didn't take to the idea, based on the above..

Yeah - I imagined the human factor hardly absent!

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Windows X said:

By objective, I refer to reading specifications ... opening chassis and see internal parts ... and design choice.

I also listen to unit itself and N-01XD with the same circuit board design with some parts changed.

I also have urge to change MUSES03 ... because I found those sounding better

I don't know why I can't get myself to like it wholeheartedly

Is this considered objective?

No

16 minutes ago, Windows X said:

what about reading product's specifications and checking internal parts then read datasheet about it?

Reading specs / checking against parts / reading datasheet - these are not objective pursuits - they are what you do with your brain - and how you interpret them is very much a subjective activity.

If you mean to imply that the people who created spec and datasheets can be relied upon for the accuracy of their work, then you are nearing the threshold for what might be considered objective.

Even then there are all sorts of problems potentially in play.

Commercial motives are seldom completely isolated from epistemological ones.

Then you have the problem of relevance (of a given measurement to what a given audiophile expects to get for her or his money).

And the problem of sufficiency - have you looked at everything that is relevant (to a buying decision).

Measurements - of themselves - are not the whole story. If I am not mistaken, that is the whole point of this Thread.

Objectivity - in a nutshell - is that upon which we all (at least to a good extent) may rely. It is the antithesis of personal opinion (no matter how correct a point of view may seem to its adherent).

We never get to the bottom of the problem in Hi-Fi.

Measurements purported to speak to SQ are a "bottom up" objective approach.

Differences in SQ reports - from multiple subjects - correlated with experimentally isolated changes in the level of some independent variable (e.g. different valves) - and which reach a level of significance statistically - are a top down objective approach. We never (or very rarely) do this sort of thing. It's expensive - and audiophiles/phools cannot co-operate.

All in all - your efforts may demand technical knowledge and experience (for all we know) - but there is nothing objective, as such, in what you say you do.

In that respect you can find many high end peers on this Forum. You are not alone x

4 minutes ago, Windows X said:

I don't know any audiophile who spend large sum of money on highend gears from objective data more than his ears from actual listening experience.

Seems to me you have much in common with most of us here.

10 minutes ago, Windows X said:

I see. I guess using calculation on your head is not objective until I use calculator then. Thanks for telling. Yeah modding a few hundred of audio gears with tons of checking with oscilloscope doesn't seem to be objective enough to say why I should read all those.

What you quoted of mine covered quite a lot - and had nothing to do with calculators.

I thought we were talking about our buying approaches - and whether yours - as a rare "high end" objectivist - is better/more reliable than the common-or-garden chiffon objectivist.

10 minutes ago, Windows X said:

It's only from some people that use the word objective and measurements to divide what most common practices we all audiophiles do but you don't do the way I approve to be good enough.

The case is yours to yet be made - that your high end approach is truly exclusive (and actually objective).

3 minutes ago, Windows X said:

Before this escalates too far and people forget the point of this thread. I'm speaking about content in this video as shown in original below.

He clearly said "Some companies such as Schiit audio have even begun releasing products with completely different design philosophies because at the moment particularly in the more budget market segment measurements sell a lot more products than subjective feedback does."

Yes "measurements sell a lot more products than subjective feedback does.". Try to stay in this topic, please. Maybe you guys can explain why measurements sell a lot more than subjective feedback in budget market segment. Or maybe you guys can disprove his claim that subjective feedback actually does sell more in budget market segment.

I think deep down you guys know the truth already and try to avoid confronting bitter reality of whatever you have in mind. How about you guys discuss whether measurements sell a lot more products than subjective feedback does or not instead?

I think Golden and Amir have had problems in the past. I tried to help them stay cool. There's only so much that one man can do.

12 minutes ago, Windows X said:

Their issues has nothing to do with "measurements sell a lot more products than subjective feedback does". Please don't try to bring personal matters from 3rd-parties into this. I'm asking you guys to discuss about this topic. You guys seem to have some issues with me elaborating this point on so how about clarifying about this matter on the right point?

If you don't agree that measurements sell a lot more than subjective feedback on budget market segment, elaborate your point why. I'm listening.

OK - well - since Golden took you seriously by upvoting you:
1. Golden's reported assertion that "at the moment particularly in the more budget market segment measurements sell a lot more products than subjective feedback does" is not supported, here anyway, by evidence. It may or may not be true. I don't know. It has never applied to me when I bought "budget" equipment. I would go by reviews maybe. And my own ears. Rarely if ever measurements.
2. Anyway this issue is not why I joined the conversation. I joined it to explore whether you were as alone as you felt you were - as an objectivist at the high end - and then it seemed that your approach may not be so objective after all. I think we are done on that one.

Just now, GoldenOne said:

The video is not about amir.

Nor do disagreements between Amir and myself have anything to do with why certain market segments sales are heavily influenced by objective measurements

I know this full well.

You may recall I supported your position throughout that difficult "gauntlet" episode. See my record on ASR.

I meant to suggest - lightheartedly only - that you would be aware of the play of budget equipment measuring "well" on ASR - and that Schiit were part of that equation.

I favour a Mani phono over a Cambridge one. Nothing to do with measurements.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Iving said:

only an intervention study where sound environment manipulated to observe a corrrsponding subjective delta starts to establish causal relationship.

This ^ the starting point for development of theories about how sound accounts for subjective musical enjoyment.

and even if this high ambition approached experimentally, we have only measured pre-ear. What the brain does with sound deltas we can barely fathom.

there is no advanced explanation of human consciousness.

we have a long way to go and a lot of scope for disagreement before "truth" eventually revealed.

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

The whole thing falls in the same arena as the massive, personal cosmetics industry

no it doesn't

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

very little trickery, in the normal sense

confidence trickery - believe what i say because of the way i say it - don't examine merits 

it's clear what i mean

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

do you want to send all the executives of these companies to prison

don't be silly

all goading and off topic