IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Very few audiophiles do ears only audio auditioning.

But if products do sound different there is a measurable testable reason for that sound difference.

Not necessarily. You, incorrectly IMO, assume that there is a direct relationship between measurements and sound quality. Measurements may or may not explain the difference.

Very few audiophiles base their purchasing decisions on measurements. They consider them, but the final evaluation is based on listening.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Archimago said:

Again, what does this mean "sonic differences that cannot be measured"? Since we're talking about a DAC, other than reproducing the intended digital data as analogue electrical waveforms, what does he think is still out there to be "discovered"?

11 hours ago, Archimago said:

Jitter has been discussed since the first decade of the release of CDs! Even if it was "ignored", that was just for a few years while there were other more pressing issues to deal with (like achieving a full 16-bit resolution)... "So, Ed, can you give me an example of what newly discovered measurement was found in the last decade?"

Re "sonic differences that cannot be measured", I believe that he means that listening to its sound may result in specific changes to a circuit's design that are not suggested directly by the DAC's measurements themselves.

Discover has more than one meaning. It can mean gain knowledge of, as in learning the significance of something that was previously ignored or unappreciated, e.g. jitter.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

A situation of my own making? ... Clarify, please.

In legal speak, it would be called res ipsa loquitur and, consequently, no need for clarification. 🙂

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Are you sure? In the first post describing the intent of the forum, Chris stated...

Yes, I am sure. What Chris stated is counter to all the examples you provide as "objective". Hopefully, after reading the above post by @Iving you will get it. If not, sadly, I'm afraid that you never will.