IGNORED

Sean jacobs unregulated psu

TimF

3 hours ago, bit01 said:

My little finger says @Nenon knows all about it & more!

Sean's unregulated LPS is similar to v2 with some added flavor. It also utilizes some of the ARC6 technology. It's for those who can't build their own ULPS. Comes with a premium but you get the craftsmanship Sean is famous for and his warranty, if any of that is important. It's also in a relatively compact chassis in case space is a concern. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

2 minutes ago, TimF said:

Cool! What was driving your motherboard before the unregulated arrived? Sean is currently modifying my Dc3 for running the two 5v cards and etherregen. 

I was using the DC3 with the Taiko convertor for a short period while waiting for the Unregulated to arrive, but the plan was already from the beginning to upgrade from HDPLEX DC-ATX to Taiko and also go with the Unregulated for it. I believe that's the right thing, the Unregulated could have been adjusted to work with the HDPLEX at lesser voltage, but I'm glad Nenon convinced me to go for the Taiko/Unregulated combo and its sweet spot to get the best of two worlds. If I had stayed with the HDPLEX I would probably also have sticked with the DC3 to power it. Balance in a system is a good thing.

My plan was also to modify the DC3 for dual 5V, or actually sell it and buy a new one with this configuration. But then I decided to move in another direction and sold off my JCAT USB XE card in favour of an external Innuos PhoenixUSB.

4 hours ago, VoicesInMyHead said:

My plan was also to modify the DC3 for dual 5V, or actually sell it and buy a new one with this configuration. But then I decided to move in another direction and sold off my JCAT USB XE card in favour of an external Innuos PhoenixUSB.

Did this make an improvement? Removing JCAT XE USB for Phoenix? I thought about this previously but never had the courage to buy/try it. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, TimF said:

Makes sense, so how much better is the unregulated? 

difficult to say, I only had the DC3 with Taiko for a short period and I don't think the Taiko even was properly burned-in during the time and the PSU's are also growing on your over time, but after a while I felt things were definitely on a much higher level than before, and the Taiko and Unregulated had a great cumulative effect together. I have no regrets going down that path!

54 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Did this make an improvement? Removing JCAT XE USB for Phoenix? I thought about this previously but never had the courage to buy/try it. 

in short, yes! it took a while before I appreciated it though, and I had doubts if I had done the right thing for a couple of days. I also upgraded the fuse to a SR Purple and I got the new Sablon Evo USB cables on both sides of the Phoenix. There you can talk about improvement btw, the new Sablon Evo cable is in one word amazing! Highly recommended.

it probably depends on a lot of things though, like PSU's, cables etc, and cost vs performance the JCAT card is tough to beat considering the Phoenix cost quite a lot more. The below post goes a bit more into detail about the differences.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I have one on order. All I know is it uses 400va transformer. 36vdc. 

Good for you! If it is similar to Nenon's V2 then the choke size will determine the current rating - about 5A? Is that enough for your design?

Great to see you're back!

Currently my PSU (slightly different setup) is now, what? 2-3 months on 24/7, and last week I concluded it is still improving...so keep at it! 

Today I hopefully (postal services are not great around around here) get a new bypass cap to test on the 12V, new hand made prototype using precious metals. That last bypass cap IME is quite important.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Awesome Michael! I’m now jealous 😅

Need my new job to hurry up and pay me. This is exactly the sort of info I need to show that a front end makes a difference into a Dac. If the difference is so big can you easily blind test and share the results? I’m running a series on my YouTube channel that will attempt to replicate this. 

13 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Great to see you're back!

Currently my PSU (slightly different setup) is now, what? 2-3 months on 24/7, and last week I concluded it is still improving...so keep at it! 

Today I hopefully (postal services are not great around around here) get a new bypass cap to test on the 12V, new hand made prototype using precious metals. That last bypass cap IME is quite important.

Marcel is the bypass cap part of Sean’s design or a v2 / V3 tweak? If good perhaps we can share it with Sean if it’s not in his power supply.