IGNORED

Sean jacobs unregulated psu

TimF

12 minutes ago, TimF said:

Awesome Michael! I’m now jealous 😅

Need my new job to hurry up and pay me. This is exactly the sort of info I need to show that a front end makes a difference into a Dac. If the difference is so big can you easily blind test and share the results? I’m running a series on my YouTube channel that will attempt to replicate this. 

a blind horse can spot the differences between front ends going into the Taiko ATX!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

11 minutes ago, TimF said:

Marcel is the bypass cap part of Sean’s design or a v2 / V3 tweak? If good perhaps we can share it with Sean if it’s not in his power supply. 

I have no idea if it is, it's my own addition...I like to tinker to understand what makes things work/sound how they do and found that a cap as close as you can get it to the 12V rail on the MB has quite an impact but which cap is critical. I have a Duelund bypass lying around as other caps fared better in that spot.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

5 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

a blind horse can spot the differences between front ends going into the Taiko ATX!

Awesome bud. I may give you a shout at some point so you can be famous. Could you humour me and blind test anyway? 

I am beyond that stage now, I have decommissioned all previous PSU items. Setting up a blind test properly is no minor endeavour and would require similar components and identical MB/CPU etc or switchable front ends. Swapping out the PSU requires rebooting, heat stabilizing so IMO can not be done in a few seconds...when I'm comparing f.e. bypass caps I need to let things settle down for a few hours (after break in) but the initial impression usually just gets more amplified over time.

If you have a chance DO try a bypass on the 12V EPS cable....get the best you can find and experiment..I'm now listening to a prototype bypass cap (0.008uF) and it's mind boggling how much effect it has in that location....ridiculous is the only thing I can think of, on the 12V feeding the CPU....I started with the Duelund tinned copper but it has a nasty squeek in the upper mid range although it does do good there.