I was going to recommend an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter but they're all sold out. The EdgeRouter X-SFP had a strong following here but they've been out of stock for more than a year now. Even the basic Unifi Dream Machine is sold out, maybe the Unifi Dream Machine Pro., but that's getting pricey.

The nice about these routers is the ability to use SFP to isolate the rest of your network from the audio chain and power with a LPS.

Not sure if there's an "audiophile" router. TLS made one a few years back but they are no longer in business. I think AfterDark makes one and you might check their sponsored forum on this board.

Where I can say I've heard obvious improvements is going from a Netgear Prosafe GS105 Switch to a Cisco Catalyst 2960 or UpTone EtherRegen. Between the Cisco and UpTone - hard to make a call. I can also hear improvements from fiber optic vs copper cable feeding my listening room.

Per Routers; what can be noticeable is the benefits associated with streamlining network traffic and reduced latency. It's also a matter of how resolving your system and your sources are (Server and Internet). The more resolving, the more noticeable the benefits from a well configured network. I'm not sure you can hear the differences in routers but there is an element that you can't unhear once you get external noise sources under control. 

Even a cheap router is preferred over the All In One supplied by ISP as far as (security and) flexibility to route audio traffic thru VLANs to segregate from other network traffic. But having a 'good' switch should make an immediate & noticeable improvement. Some claim cascading switches makes a greater improvement (haven't tried myself). You may want to try a switch first - UpTone's ER is available for in home trial. You can also buy older Cisco Catalyst 2960's for under $60 on eBay.

I was fortunate to get a EdgeRouter X SFP before they ran out, but only recently deployed after I moved. I haven't set up my main rig to listen yet, so my impressions are yet to be determined. 

20 hours ago, Sheldon Simon said:

Many thanks lobbster

do these routers really have greater Sonics than say my Verizon internet provider?

it actually sounds good,,

I’m intrigued to try your suggestion though.  

The consideration that a network device should have SQ is strange. Upstream network devices have no 'sonics" if you isolate the final endpoint with fiberoptics or an electrically quiet switch. If you use a 10Gbe switch there is no effect from upstream network jitter because 10Gbe devices have been designed and are tested to reject upstream jitter.

So ... use a switch which attaches to your ISP supplied router. There is no need for an "audiophile" router because switches are cheap e.g. the Mikrotik 10Gbe switch.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Upstream network devices have no 'sonics" if you isolate the final endpoint with fiberoptics or an electrically quiet switch.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

e.g. the Mikrotik 10Gbe switch

Just to be clear, are you saying just use copper ethernet throughout and get the same benefit of Fiber isolation on a 10Gbe switch?

Otherwise, if using fiber, he would need 2 switches or a FMC to convert back to copper then attach to the Aurender (?).

Interesting that Aurender shows to direct connect to a Router

image.thumb.png.ec2bd844ddce4c07d8c104628aaec48b.png

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Btw, why do you Americans pronounce it “rowter”?

Why do Brits and Aussie's put an "R" at the end of words that end in "A"?  😊  

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3