IGNORED

Article: SOtM Launches sMB-Q370 Motherboard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Back on topic:

The sMB-Q370 appears to accept two external clocks - 24Mhz and 25MHz.  Can anyone shed light on the following:

• Can external clock be added to both, or just one of these at at time?
  • What motherboard functions do these two clock frequencies control?

Reason for my question is that if 24Mhz clock on the sMB-Q370 if for the onboard USB clocks, but you have a standalone USB card with a good clocks, then you could obviously look to try upgrading the 25MHz clock first.  In other words, there may be a preferable upgrade path in terms of money spend.

Equally if the clocks just affect the Intel Q370 chipset, then then may be no benefit for those out us who use PCI cards which are 'CPU direct' and avoid the chipset entirely.

Thanks

Spoke too soon!  I've answered my question on page 3:  https://docs.sotm-audio.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manuals:smb-q370_productguide_v1.1c.pdf

Onboard clocks are for the Q370 chipset and the Ethernet controller.

In my current set up I bypass these by using CPU-direct PCI lanes - one 8x for a solarflare network card and the other 8x for JCAT USB XE.  Therefore I wouldn't get any benefits from the use of external clocks.

Will be interesting what other features standout in a sMB-Q370 review.

46 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Great point you make here, I have been inquiring with Pink faun to modify my MB and you made me wonder why they propose two clocks...I probably only need one, since I'm using a Solarflare and have the ultra OCXO on the I2S bridge!

Indeed - Put one card in your PCIEX16 slot and the other in PCIEX8 on your Aorus x570.  You'll be CPU direct, so clocks 'shouldn't' benefit you and you'll save a wad of cash.   sMB-Q370 is therefore interesting if you decided NOT to go for external cards, but with the cost of good quality external clocks being so high, I can't see a reason why you wouldn't do down this route like we have with Solarflare and JCAT/Pink Faun (somebody please shout out if this is incorrect).

Perhaps we know now why Taiko don't have any fancy clocks on their motherboards, it's just a standard SAGE C631e because the best thing you can do for accuracy of the CPU is a top quality linear supply and bios/OS optimisation (I presume there is no other form of clock external to the CPU).  Attach everything to the CPU directly, and power the CPU with the best power you can find and your timing / transient response will be the best.  Of course, clocks or not, design of the motherboard still matters (copper traces, VRMS etc...) to optimise the CPU and it's power delivery.

Same applies to Innuos (probably antipodes and others too) if you design around the CPU-direct philosophy, no reason for MB level clocks.

I think I learned something today!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a pretty narrow view of the world. 

If the only thing you're looking for is a sonic comparison head-to-head versus another motherboard, that's ignoring many other items I mentioned in the review. That's OK, I can't please everyone. 

Have you ever needed support from ASUS? I have. I know what the experience is like. 

How do you suggest someone sets up a comparison of the sMB-Q370, using the same parts that I did, with another motherboard?

I personally think a comparison with any other motherboard would have been fine, even your CAPs server?

I run 8086k, so could compare.

Credit to Hans Beckhuyzen - he did provide comparison, but a commercial streamer, and not a DIY product.  But still gives an idea about it’s relative performance.  Trouble was with his review that it’s the same rig you are using - just a regular ATX power supply.  What the computer audiophile peers want (that you’re the lead of) is a review that try’s this with a proper linear power supply and also the suggested SoTM clocks into the mix.  Let’s see how this thing scales!

Sorry, but I’m just very disappointed with the review.  Nobody has yet given this product the attention it deserves and it’s a missed opportunity.

(I’ve actually had good support from ASUS prior - but that’s not what I’m really interested in - sound quality is the big deal).

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

8th gen 8086k vs 9th gen 9900k... hmm...

Also Q370 only does dual channel memory.  So dual channel with 2x DDR4 sticks or dual channel with 4x DDR4 sticks?  Absolutely zero guidance on what is preferable in the manual.

Is two sticks per channel worth it?

Found the answer... 4 sticks will serve as dual channel. only.  In fact 4 sticks would likely make the memory controller work harder, so 2 sticks is best.  Makes me question why four banks was included.