IGNORED

Building NAA for HQplayer

kwatch

On 7/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, Miska said:

Only case where I could think NAA + RAVENNA combination would make sense is if you want to use WiFi between HQPlayer and the DAC. RAVENNA won't work over WiFi, while NAA does.

My scenario is, if configure the Ravenna as one of the input of HQPlayer Embedded (for example, Apple Music Atmos direct output thru Merging VAD to HQPe) and still need the Ravenna as MCH DSD output, it must have an NAA to be the middle man due to Ravenna cannot have different sampling rate on same NIC port.

And the other reason to have an NAA -> RAV bridge is... hqplayerd and networkaudiod always have the scheduling while atomic error on Ubuntu 22.04's generic and low latency kernel (I need CUDA offloading, which is not allowed on realtime kernel. Ran kernel versions from 5.15 to 6.2 all has that issue). Not sure it's related to Ravenna ALSA LKM or something unknown. When changing the sampling rate the hqplayerd always show the demsg of the bug and enter auto restart mode. It's quite inconvenient cuz hqplayerd restart takes time...

image.thumb.jpeg.7837447af70ef9cc0cd6f0dedc72d0f1.jpeg

Luckily the Ubuntu Pro's stock realtime kernel 5.15 for Intel IoT doesn't have such issue. So I bought a new Up Squared Pro 7000 (x7425e with dual i226 NIC) and configured it as an NAA -> RAV bridge on kernel 5.15.0-1043-intel-iot-realtime. I'm happy with it. No more kernel scheduling error while changing sampling rate .

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

And the other reason to have an NAA -> RAV bridge is... hqplayerd and networkaudiod always have the scheduling while atomic error on Ubuntu 22.04's generic and low latency kernel (I need CUDA offloading, which is not allowed on realtime kernel.

That is a bug in the RAVENNA driver... And based on those messages seems to have some other bugs as well.

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Luckily the Ubuntu Pro's stock realtime kernel 5.15 for Intel IoT doesn't have such issue. So I bought a new Up Squared Pro 7000 (x7425e with dual i226 NIC) and configured it as an NAA -> RAV bridge on kernel 5.15.0-1043-intel-iot-realtime. I'm happy with it. No more kernel scheduling error while changing sampling rate .

The bug is still there, but realtime kernel runs threaded interrupt handlers, so you sort of get around that kernel BUG message. It is still a bug, but the message just gets hidden.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...

@Miska This concerns your Network Audio Daemon for HoloAudio Red.

I am still waiting for the HoloAudio download - "Note: Future release will support up to DSD1024 / 1.5Mhz on I2S HDMI output".

For me, your latest image sounds better than the present HoloAudio OS.

Is there a possibility that the above-mentioned support is on your "to-do" list for your image??

3 hours ago, Schafheide said:

@Miska This concerns your Network Audio Daemon for HoloAudio Red.

I am still waiting for the HoloAudio download - "Note: Future release will support up to DSD1024 / 1.5Mhz on I2S HDMI output".

For me, your latest image sounds better than the present HoloAudio OS.

Is there a possibility that the above-mentioned support is on your "to-do" list for your image??

My image already supports DSD1024 / 1.5M. For the DDC outputs it is limited by the DDC firmware, not by the OS.

But if you use a Holo Audio DAC, you should use the USB output instead. That way you'll get DSD1024 / 1.5M too.

Just now getting back into HQP after several years off so looking for a kickstart without reading through all 10 pages here

I see many images listed for NAA images on the downlaod site, how do you pick the correct one? I have an AAeon UPS-GWS01computer to run it on

I'm getting a Meitner MA-1 V2. Will be running Roon to the NAA currently have HQP4

• since the Meitner converts everything to DSD should I do that (PCM to DSD) with HQP 
  • anybody have recommendations for settings getting me started.
  • should I get HQP5

I know this is an oft repeated question and the answer is always to try it, but with a million or so possible combinations of settings is there a place to start with HQP settings? I simply can't even begin to try even a fraction of them. I read the manual but still with so many it is mind blowing. can anybody point me to a discussion that isn't 100 pages long?

thanks

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

21 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Just now getting back into HQP after several years off so looking for a kickstart without reading through all 10 pages here

I see many images listed for NAA images on the downlaod site, how do you pick the correct one? I have an AAeon UPS-GWS01computer to run it on

I'm getting a Meitner MA-1 V2. Will be running Roon to the NAA currently have HQP4

• since the Meitner converts everything to DSD should I do that with HQP 
  • should I get HQP5

I know this is an oft repeated question and the answer is always to try it, but with a million or so possible combinations of settings is there a place to start with HQP settings? I simply can't even begin to try even a fraction of them. I read the manual but still with so many it is mind blowing. can anybody point me to a discussion that isn't 100 pages long?

thanks

Welcome back to the hqp world!!!

I have both hqp4 and hqp5 and I will say with the recent features added to hqp5, it’s a great investment to upgrade - ie. new filters - Sinc long, Sinc Medium, the half band filters ……, new sdm modulators - super, light, 512fs and modulators for dsd1024…… AND allow switching filters and modulators on the fly for AB comparison

new Qobuz features included in the client app…

New usb UAC2 feature that supports automatic sample rate changing that will allow streaming for Amazon hd, Apple Music, Spotify, qobuz, tidal……

30 minutes ago, bbosler said:

since the Meitner converts everything to DSD should I do that (PCM to DSD) with HQP

I took a quick look at the specs of the Meitner MA1 v2, and apparently this Dac is upsampling everything to DSD512.

Of course, HQplayer is doing a lot of other stuff, and is most probably offering other filters/modulators than your Weiss.

BUT your Weiss dac only accepts upto DSD128 input.  I.e. you can only upsample to DSD128 in HQplayer and feed that to your dac.

Although I am a big supporter of HQplayer, in my opinion it doesn’t sense to use HQplayer in combination with your Weiss MA1 v2

Dirk

23 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I took a quick look at the specs of the Meitner MA1 v2, and apparently this Dac is upsampling everything to DSD512.

Of course, HQplayer is doing a lot of other stuff, and is most probably offering other filters/modulators than your Weiss.

BUT your Weiss dac only accepts upto DSD128 input.  I.e. you can only upsample to DSD128 in HQplayer and feed that to your dac.

Although I am a big supporter of HQplayer, in my opinion it doesn’t sense to use HQplayer in combination with your Weiss MA1 v2

Dirk

my Roon server is over here and my DAC is over there and the DAC doesn't have network capabilities, so I'll be using an HQP NAA with USB out to get the data from over here to over there over my network

yes, the DAC will accept up to PCM 384 and DSD 128 then converts all to DSD 512. So I could just feed everything to the DAC with no modifications to the signals and let the Meitner do it's thing, but since HQP is involved it seems I should take advantage of the HQP processing , unless I shouldn't 😕

thanks 

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

UP Gateway? For this, the simplest is the naa-450-x64ramfs. Or alternatively just the naa-450-x64.

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

• since the Meitner converts everything to DSD should I do that (PCM to DSD) with HQP 

I would first try with DSD128 and if that doesn't sound nice, you can also try 352.8/384k PCM. But most likely DSD128 is optimal for that DAC.

I would start with the current default filters (1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long, Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp) and modulator ASDM7ECv2 (if you are on v4) or ASDM7EC-light or ASDM7EC-super (if you are v5).

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

UP Gateway? For this, the simplest is the naa-450-x64ramfs. Or alternatively just the naa-450-x64.

I would first try with DSD128 and if that doesn't sound nice, you can also try 352.8/384k PCM. But most likely DSD128 is optimal for that DAC.

I would start with the current default filters (1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long, Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp) and modulator ASDM7ECv2 (if you are on v4) or ASDM7EC-light or ASDM7EC-super (if you are v5).

Yes, a UP device

one more simple question and I'll go from there.... for DSD bit rate which 128....... , 32, 44.1, or 48K?

thanks so much

10 minutes ago, bbosler said:

for DSD bit rate which 128....... , 32, 44.1, or 48K?

44.1k variant is the standard one which is supported by all DSD capable devices.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone.
I have an optical rendu with 2.9 software which gives me a lot of problems and I would like to load the new Network Audio Daemon 4.6.0 onto the microsd and no longer use the sonore software.
This is because it uses the optical rendu only in NAA mode connected to a DAC8 dsd T+A.
Can anyone explain to me how to do it?? :)
I have the possibility of being able to format a microSD but what file should I write to it?
Plus, does the new 4.6.0 work with optical rendu???
A thousand thanks!
Greetings from Italy.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

AFAIK, NAA OS doesn't work on opticalRendu.

How about sMS 200 Ultra ? can I install HQP NAA on it, if so, which image ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

• 2 weeks later...

I have the (original?) Sonic Transporter.  I haven’t used this in years, as I recall as a server it could only do 44.1.  I believe it is an intel i3 unit, I have confirmed it has 2 cores and is running Fedora.  It is small and fanless and would appear to be a good candidate for NAA use.  Has anyone converted on of these?  I downloaded the latest x64 NAA build and created a bootable flash, but the Sonic Transport did not boot from it.

I know little to nothing about Linux. Should this work?  Did I download the wrong image?  Any input is appreciated.

Best,

Ed

4 hours ago, Argon said:

I also hacked my older SonicTransport for HQPlayer duties. I had to enter the bios and change boot order to enable USB boot as the priority. Boots from a thumb drive no problem.  Good luck

Thanks Argon, that got me pointed in the right direction, with a little more googling I was able to get it running.

Thanks again!

Best,

Ed

I have a T+A DAC8 DSD, I have the parts to flash it although no joy with getting it to connect.  While deciding on whether to flash the DAC I purchased a fabless mini windows pc to allow me to run 512 DSD to the D8D.  After I had ordered it I saw a recommendation from Miksa to get a unit with minimum of 8g ram, this unit has 4.  I can still return this pc, but before doing so I thought Inwould reach out to see if this unit would/should meet the requirements for a windows NAA, see below for specs, BTW, it is running W10 pro. If it is sufficient , which image should I use?

Thanks,

Ed

IMG_4549.jpeg

22 hours ago, Ebag4 said:

I have a T+A DAC8 DSD, I have the parts to flash it although no joy with getting it to connect.  While deciding on whether to flash the DAC I purchased a fabless mini windows pc to allow me to run 512 DSD to the D8D.  After I had ordered it I saw a recommendation from Miksa to get a unit with minimum of 8g ram, this unit has 4.  I can still return this pc, but before doing so I thought Inwould reach out to see if this unit would/should meet the requirements for a windows NAA, see below for specs, BTW, it is running W10 pro. If it is sufficient , which image should I use?

Thanks,

Ed

IMG_4549.jpeg

Disregard this request, I have flashed the dac and am able to get 512 dsd via my current Linux NAA.

Best,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 6:43 PM, Miska said:

My image already supports DSD1024 / 1.5M. For the DDC outputs it is limited by the DDC firmware, not by the OS.

But if you use a Holo Audio DAC, you should use the USB output instead. That way you'll get DSD1024 / 1.5M too.

Hi Miska,

I am building a new N100 x86 NAA with a JCAT USB Femto card and connect to Holo May. My config. is:

Roon -> HQPE -> NAA JCAT USB -> Holo May

I download your NAA 4.61 x86 image onto N100 server, when I try to play music from Roon (same as using mconnect thru UPNP), it stop immediately and I can see there is an error at the NAA console:

unsupported format bits 0x100000000

ERROR: unexpected command completion code 0x11

Not enough bandwidth for altsetting 3

However, if I use the N100 onboard USB port, I can play the music from Roon, and do not have any error at the NAA console, even I can play DSD1024 as well as PCM1.5M at my Holo May.

Do you think it is a compatibility issue on the JCAT USB Femto card? Is it ok on JCAT XE card?

Thanks,

Louie

5 hours ago, Louie said:

Do you think it is a compatibility issue on the JCAT USB Femto card?

Looks like some compatibility issue.

5 hours ago, Louie said:

Is it ok on JCAT XE card?

Sorry, but I have no idea... I don't have any JCAT cards, so I don't know.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:41 PM, Miska said:

Sorry, but I have no idea... I don't have any JCAT cards, so I don't know.

I used JCat USB XE and JCat Network card, all seems working fine in my NAA OS setup.