IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

Hi @jrsub,

yes your setup for DSD should work fine. Just for a test I would recommend to disconnect all other sources, just have the Sony player connected and try to play a SACD. If the static noise is gone, connect one source device after the other and find out when the static noise begins.

If you have noise with only tne Sony connected, it might be best to contact the T+A sevice dept ([email protected]).

Multichannel:

Obviously the Sony player outputs a multichannel audio stream on its HDMI out, not a 2-channel downmix. Such a multichannel stream can not be decoded and downmixed by the DAC as it only accepts 2-channel stereo streams. Try to setup the HDMI output of your player to output a 2-ch. downmix, then it should work.

If this is not possible, you could perhaps use the S/P-DIF output of the player - this should normally be capable to output a 2-ch. stereo stream.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

1 hour ago, 1125FPS said:

I suspect volume is always only fixed on all HDMI outputs, but don't really know.  Said another way, I suspect volume is always post-HDMI cable and never pre-HDMI cable.   

Yes, you are right, volume control is done post-HDMI cable i.e. after surround decoding (which is done in your Pioneer receiver).

What might work is using a setup with separate connections to Pioneer (HDMI) and DAC200 (SP-DIF or TOSLINK):

For HT - volume control thru Pioneer Receiver, DAC200 set to constant "HT" volume setting:

BluRay_Player > HDMI > Pioneer -> Front L/R pre-out RCA > DAC200 analog in > 2-ch amp > L/R main speakers.

-> rear and side surround speaker outputs > 4 in-wall surrounds.

For Stereo music: (volume control thru DAC200 - Pioneer receiver can be switched OFF):

BluRay_Player > DAC200 digital in (SP-DIF) > 2-ch amp > L/R main speakers.

Please note:

For HT use, the DAC200 needs to be set to a constant HT" volume setting which should always be used for HT.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

22 minutes ago, jrsub said:

I must  not be seeing the option on the Sony to output a two channel only stream.   Although I have the down mix set to stereo on the player,  the DAC 200 still is receiving a multi channel signal - the DAC 200 display tells me so.   More experimenting is required.  

Have you tried the following audio settings:

[Digital Audio Output] -> PCM

[BD Secondary Audio] -> On

4 hours ago, jrsub said:

Still no luck,  I contacted T+A support regarding the issues I am having. 

Problem seems to be that the player does not send a proper 2ch. downmix.

20 minutes ago, jrsub said:

I posted a thread on Audiongon forums to get insight from the members there and the consensus seems to be that playing SACDs through T+A should not work at all due to SACD license requirements.   

Playback of a 2-channel SACD over the HDMI connection DOES work.

DAC200 and HA200 are licensed products - so don't worry about that.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:11 PM, jrsub said:

Great, hopefully T+A support will get back to me soon regarding the static I get when using 2-channel SACD over HDMI.  

I was in the factory today and discussed this with my colleagues from the service dept. We will aquire a UDB-X700 and do some tests. I wll give you further notice, when we know more.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The T+A factory is sold out of DAC 200 units, in both colors :~)

Don't worry too much about that - T+A devices don't arrive in big containers - they are produced in-house in the T+A factory. So replenishment comes on a daily basis (as long as T+A gets enough electronic components from the suppliers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 12:56 AM, 1125FPS said:

I respectfully request Miska or anyone else explain the unique nature of DAC 200's DSD NOS modes.

The NOS mode in DAC200 is available for PCM signals only.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:02 PM, Shadorne said:

From the discussion above, is the reconstruction filter also part of the burr-brown 1795 chip?

Also from the discussion, is it advisable to always oversample at least x8 (on a high quality external oversampler) in order for the reconstruction filter to properly remove high frequency aliased artifacts?

I assume you average multiple 1795 signals after the reconstruction filter to improve Signal to noise? Is this the case?

The reconstruction filter in DAC200 is not part of the BB 1795. It is a discrete analog filter circuit following the D/A converters in analog domain.

If using an external upsampler for PCM my recommendation is to upsample 8x externally and use the NOS mode of DAC200.

The averaging of the multiple D/A converter outputs is done in the (discrete analog)  I/V stage following the converters. Purpose of this averaging is to minimize noise and converter distortion.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jonniema said:

Can also someone point out if DAC200 supports DSD1024 (Native DSD) other than via the ASIO windows driver? I.e: could i have my NUC running linux or other OS

Native DSD via USB from a Linux PC is fully supported. - so no problems to be expected.

Regarding DSD 1024 with a I7 8559U CPU I don't think it will work, but of course you can try it.

Maybe DSD512 with one of the more sophisticated filters/modulators would be the better way to go.

I'm sure @Miska will be able to give more advice on this topic...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:47 PM, Asdfgh said:

@OE333 - Can the DAC200’s relay volume be controlled by a computer connected via USB (like the MP200 does) rather than just DSP? If not, is this something that could be added as a firmware update, even just for Roon?

Volume (and all other DAC200 settings) can be controlled from a computer via RS232. If this is an option for you I can give you some advice on how to do that - please let me know.

6 hours ago, davidv100 said:

I am thinking about buying a Sennheiser HD800s.
But I have no idea if this is a good match based on power, impedance and stuff.

Of course, as @droffen suggested, the Solitaire P / P-SE are a perfect match with the DAC200.

But the Sennheiser HD800 is one of the headphones which is used regularly by the T+A development dept. for listening tests and it also works extremely well with DAC200.

There have been quite a few questions during the past days. Mainly about (Volume) control and about an additional I2S input for DAC200 and HA200.

I will try to give some answers to both topiccs in separate posts following.

Question1 - Control of DAC200/HA200 from a PC

As already mentioned, it is possible to control the DAC/HA 200 via a serial RS232 connection.

The RS232 control interface is used internally by T+A for production and QA tests in the factory but it could be used to implement a remote control of the DAC from a PC. Unfortunately there is no official T+A documentation of the RS232 interface pulicly available.

For further information I have made a short list (see attachment) of commands implemented in the DAC that could be used to control the DAC.

As you can see, the commands are plain ASCII text commands. These commands can be sent from any computer with the help of a terminal program (eg. "Putty" or Windows "Hyperterm").

Sending for example the command VOL 50 will set the volume control of the DAC to 50%.

In the same way all the other functions (input switching, output ON/OFF etc.) can be controlled.

Currently there is no APP with graphical user interface available for controlling the DAC - just the ASCII text cammands from a terminal.

It would be quite easy to make a simple graphical user interface for the basic control of the DAC.

Question: Is there a demand for such a GUI control application ????

Control over USB instead of RS232

Technically it would be possible to send the commands over USB instead of a separate RS232 connection. To achieve this the USB receiver firmware needs to be extended to handle control commands. Such an extention of the firmware might be quite expensive and I don't think that it will be implemented in the near futrure.

DAC200_RS232_Commands.pdf

21 hours ago, Shadorne said:

My observations. Two cents. Depending on your setup results may vary.

Good -> Better -> Best

1) Redbook native files with the DAC200 upsampling filters FIR1,2, etc (similar to many other chip DACs but the DAC200 definitely has a slight edge)

2) Redbook native files with the DAC200 upsampling and NOS1 or 2 (audibly hard to distinguish from 1 above on my setup but this may be system dependent)

3) Redbook to PCM 88 or 96Khz on PC to DAC200 any filter (slightly better soundstage, more relaxed, clean lower noise floor)

4) Redbook to PCM 172 or 193  on PC to DAC200 any filter(even better soundstage - focussed but natural)

5) Redbook to PCM 705 or 756 on PC to DAC200 any filter(superb hard to tell between 5 and 4)

6) Redbook to DSD64 on a PC low pass analog output filter only (better yet - can’t put a finger on it - everything is just relaxed yet detailed)

7) Redbook to DSD256 on PC to DAC200 either analog low pass final filter only (best natural sound and soundstage from a DAC that I have heard - laser focus - easy to hear or pinpoint anything)

The biggest step in improvement is the jump in upsampling from 44.1 to 4x oversampling on a PC. (Between 4 and 1) This step in improvement is probably true for many chip-based DACs, as the low latency first stage filters aren’t great on any chip and this stage probably has the biggest detrimental impact to sound. The DAC200 is better however fed native 44.1 than I have ever heard from other chip-based DACs. So a great choice even for those who don’t like PC.

The icing on the cake is going to DSD256 and although the jump is very subtle, I think this is what sounds to me better than vinyl in every way and every dimension for the first time.  I believe digital has for years already been better than vinyl in many ways but it came with a digital glare and less soundstage than vinyl (so if you could live with all other deficiencies of vinyl then vinyl was still the sweetest and most impressive holographic sound)

I don’t have a chord TT2 or May to compare. I cannot say. What I can say is that upsampling is necessary to get the very most out of this DAC, probably due to simple low latency filters used in the DAC chip (like every DAC chip) compared to a powerful PC. That said the DAC-chip in the DAC200 (which processes all PCM) has been implemented in such a way that even simple straight 44.1 sounds slightly better than many DACs I have heard. (T+A seem to know what to do to get the most out of BOTH PCM (from a DAC chip) and also via their bespoke DSD 1 bit converter - they are unlikely to share their in depth understanding of the audibility of filter issues, as it is a competitive advantage/trade secret but a hint could be their use of bezier smooth filters as an option)

I believe that pre-echo from the low latency simple equiripple tap filters used in digital upsampling is the primary problem with most chip-based digital (there are other issues too but I hear an effect very much like baffle edge diffraction from these chip-based filters).

I am a convert to @Miska way of thinking. FWIW that might influence my views and biases. 

@Shadorne: thank you for sharing your detailed observations.

I just would like to add that T+A does not use the chip based filters from the DAC chips. All filtering is done by proprietary algorithms in a DSP.

Besides the FIR filters the DAC200 offers the choice of two BEZIER filters. These filters are no FIR filters, they use Bezier polynominal interpolation instead and these filters do not have any pre-echoes or any pre- or post ringing.