IGNORED

Recommendations on replacing my Adcom 555 amp.

The Adcom brand of Amps, DAC/CD Players are what got me started in this crazy Audiophile journey. The Amps are basically bullet proof. In the past I've owned the 555II's, the 565 mono blocks and a smaller 535's in terms of Amps. They were all still running when I sold them and they were at least 20yrs old at the time and saw a very rough life with me using them the way I was.

If I'm not mistaken, the great Nelson Pass had some hand in designing/building them FWIW (the old ones at least)

I know i've also mentioned the Benchmark Amps in one of your other posts about Amplifiers but if your happy with your current Adcom why not continue the tradition and stick with Adcom? They are back you know and selling audio kit still within your price range:

https://www.adcom.com/allproduct.php

I plan on staying with my Adcom for now. It works and I like the sound it provides. But at my age in my 50's, I would like to take it a step up. I have a friend who has higher end amps and I know the gentle smooth sound I am missing. Its easier on your years and the depth front to back on higher end amps are better. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting to see a couple other members here with an Adcom / Kappa pairing.  My system was an Adcom GFA-585LE driving a pair of Kappa 8's, purchased back in '90 (or maybe '91).  Recently my Adcom bit the dust (the dreaded leaky cap issue), and ended up replacing it with a Parasound A21+.  Have not logged much time with the Parasound yet, but initial impressions are very good, definitely feels like a step up.  

Also hoping my Kappas hold on indefinitely.  Polydomes have gone cloudy like they all seem to do but are still intact (interestingly the Polygraphs still look like new), replaced the surrounds on the woofers a few years ago, and all the EMITs are still working - fingers crossed!

The A21+ might be worth considering, just keep in mind the thing will seem huge compared to the Adcom!

Still traveling my amplifier journey but always with Magnepans

1st decent amp was a Bryston B60R, smooth sound, flawless execution but no real excitement from listening, even when direct to amp section from a CJ pre amp.

Tried next an EBay purchased stock Hafler DH200, immediate improvement in dynamics and transparency but edgy. Spent about $800 on Musical Concepts upgrades,

about the only thing original now are the MOSFETs and the chassis, well worth it for cleaning up the sound

Wasn't satisified with the Haflers midrange tonality so moved on to a Prima Luna Premium integrated, lush solid tone colors but slower on transients, very easy to live with

so long as you weren't playing monster drum whacks or deep Fender bass

Made some improvements to my system (Euphony server) and the balance shifted back to the Hafler, the slower 60 watt tube amplifier (KT-150's) was outclassed and

midrange tonality for the Hafler was (mostly) mitigated by source improvements.

now I just want to find a next amplifier that has the mid range tone color solidity of the Prima Luna and the speed and power of the Hafler...

without a 300 hour burn in period for best performance 😉

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I likely sound like a shill for this company, and I am friends with the owner, so feel free to ignore what I say.

But for years I have been massively impressed with the Class D amps made by the Digital Amplifier Company (DAC) and know that people who try them are overwhelmingly positive about their sound quality.

The modules that they use are 100% designed in-house. As far as I recall they use a switching frequency that is several times higher than that used in available off-the-shelf Class D modules, without the massive negative feedback used to improve specs on paper. Some models have massive linear transformers; some have switching PSs, take your pick.

There are tons of reviews all over the web and they all feature the same comments - Speed, articulation, precision, resolution yet no glare, solid, massive bass and great midrange.  As a drummer (as is Tommy O, designer of the DAC amps) I am keenly aware of the sound of "digital cymbals" (yuck) and these amps get cymbals so much better than the off the shelf ICE and N-core Class D amps I used to care about years ago.

These amps will sound different from what you are used to. But the difference (as I hear it) is not a change to the sound - It is that sound now comes from the amp that was simply lost in your previous amp. Sounds weird I know. But stunning to hear how much info was simply not leaving your old amp.

I sold my VAC 100/100 as soon as I heard GOBS of mid-bass info that the VAC was simply not letting through. I honestly thought that a ModWright amp (forget the exact model, but one of the upgraded ones) was broken when it was installed at a GTG I had. I didn't know it had been slipped into the system and I walked into the room to see a dozen sad faces as the sound was just this dreary dreck relative to the DAC amp.

I currently use my DAC amp on Maggie 3.6s - The 4-ohm load is ideal for these amps, who just love pumping juice into Maggies to wake them up.

My honest thoughts on how to upgrade your Adcom...

-Mike

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, jcn3 said:

@Revelation -- i'd look at a parasound a21+.  great amp, neutral/slightly warm sound.  definitely recommended.

Getting close to pulling a trigger. There are two amps that are getting close to the finish line.

A. The Parasound A21+. This amp surprised me because one guy on YouTube who owns the Mac MC152 and the cheaper Powersound, like the sound of the Parasound better. The A21+ is a step up from the cheaper Powersound he preferred. I like the look and design of this amp. If this amp is neutral and slightly warm, that is what I like and that really sounds like it would be closer to my Adcom. Hopefully better however. 

B. PS Audio M700 mono blocks. Out of all the Class D amps below the 5K mark, this is the one that impressed me the most on paper, reviews, comments and reviews. Stereophile gave them their A rated recommended components. 

Any more input on these two amps from users would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, Revelation said:

Getting close to pulling a trigger. There are two amps that are getting close to the finish line.

A. The Parasound A21+. This amp surprised me because one guy on YouTube who owns the Mac MC152 and the cheaper Powersound, like the sound of the Parasound better. The A21+ is a step up from the cheaper Powersound he preferred. I like the look and design of this amp. If this amp is neutral and slightly warm, that is what I like and that really sounds like it would be closer to my Adcom. Hopefully better however. 

B. PS Audio M700 mono blocks. Out of all the Class D amps below the 5K mark, this is the one that impressed me the most on paper, reviews, comments and reviews. Stereophile gave them their A rated recommended components. 

Any more input on these two amps from users would be appreciated.

the great thing about the a21+ is that it'll drive anything.  it also runs in class a at lower outputs (i think up to 5 watts).  i like the price/quality/sound ratio that the halo line provides -- i moved up to a jc-5!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Think I would get a Purif based amp if my McCormack DNA-500 bit the dust.

Several options, Nord, Apollon, VTV, March...I kind of like this one, made in Luxembourg, a country I'd like to visit.  Looks small, powerful and well put together by BoXem:

https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-amplifiers/10-41-arthur-4215e2.html#/1-faceplate_color-satin_black/8-body_color-textured_matte_dark_anthracite

My speakers, Aerial 10Ts are power/current hungry beasts, so I'd wait for an amp based upon the more powerful Purifi unit (45A versus this one at 25A current)  that has just been introduced and have it built with two power supplies (dual mono).  

Focals, at least the ones I have heard, are very sweet sounding speakers.  The clarity and control of the Purifi circuit might just be a great match.

Tone with Soul

I decided against PS Audio as though it might sound good, they are clearly overcharging for the two modules inside their box.

I'll throw a ringer in here. Having now seen what speaker you have, I think the Anthem STR integrated will give you most satisfaction with its built in room correction capability.

Room correction needs the pre-amp section, greatly improves bass clarity. But that is a $5k expense, relegates your NAD to being a streamer only

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=overview

Regards,

Dave

Audio system