IGNORED

Investigation Into Effects Of PC load On DAC Analogue Output

Now, strictly speaking, the complaints about PC activity have always been about “noise”, which IMD is clearly not ( clues in the name ). However, in a spirit of open-mindedness, I certainly wouldn’t object to such a test - maybe we should get the precise IMD setup required?

I can understand why @March Audio wouldn’t have done this - he’s been concentrating on noise, as this has been mooted as the problem. 

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

@PeterSt - maybe it would be helpful if you could describe the interface used within your tests? i.e. how is the DAC connected and powered? I believe ( happy to be corrected on this ) that @March Audio is using a DAC that is connected via USB with an asynchronous style interface, and is powered separately from the PC.

If your tests were using, for example a synchronous interface, or USB in adaptive mode, or the DAC is somehow powered by the PC, this might give us some insight?

@Summit - nobody is suggesting that deliberately ignoring PC noise is desirable, but you have to consider a fundamental point here - we’re not trying to stop noise getting out of the DAC using filters. Surely in an ideal DAC, the electrons that represent the digital samples have *can’t* get to the analogue out? The whole point of digital electronics is its an abstraction - I.e. as long as the samples get to what needs them in time, it’s completely irrelevant how they get there - paper tape, punched cards, Ethernet, USB, a really fast typist. 

I do apologise if I appear flippant, but I think the point remains - audio is incredibly important to many people, for very good reasons - but how is it harder than other things? A picoscope, for sake of argument captures data at precise moments in time. And transfers it’s results via USB but I don’t recall anybody having to do fancy things to have it work properly?