IGNORED

Do you hear what I hear (bit perfect files sounding different)?

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

I am curious though. If this "optimize" algorithm is supposedly able to change the sound of an otherwise identical file, how does it determine where best to copy out the disk sectors? How does it know to locate it at an appropriate location on a spinning hard drive that won't make it "sound bad"? Are we sure the file is not saved out to a poor SSD location which might be more "noisy" than another location on the drive? I don't think there's any reason to believe that the software is sophisticated enough to hit the hardware or overcome the OS's file system architecture, right?

@Archimago - it doesn’t do anything like this - I’ve decompiled it, and starts a thread writing random numbers to the page file, reads the file into memory, sits there for a bit doing it’s random number thing then writes the file back to the disk using fairly standard file IO. 

Apparently you should run this process on the player executable as well. 

I’ve checked the player code as well, and to make things worse for explaining it, that pretty much does the same thing, and reads the each song into memory completely before playing it back. 

As I’ve said before, I can see no plausible reason to think this will do anything apart from reduce the life of the disk with the page file on it, but I am an idiot, and @manueljenkin has been working on an explanation of this for a while now

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

8 hours ago, manueljenkin said:
10 hours ago, idiot_savant said:

Unfortunately no, as the player at present doesn't support optimization for external usb drives

Why not?

as for wear, the “scintillate” process doesn’t write a huge amount of data

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh* so here we go again - right, for the “magnetic field” crowd - even if there was some very slight variation in how the data was stored or read ( magnetic fields, vibrations, ley lines ) how does this account for the fact the file is read, in its entirety *before* playback starts?

For the “digital is really analog” crowd, as I’ve tried to point out the whole point of digital electronics is its an abstraction - it doesn’t matter how those 1’s and 0’s are represented, as long as at the right time we can work out if it’s a 1 or a 0, and then we can even *guarantee* it’s the same. If you’re using windows, open a cmd shell and fc filea fileb /b and it will compare *all* the bits and in this case they are all identical. 

As I’ve said before, if the digital abstractions we’re talking about were in any way wrong, we wouldn’t be able to talk about it on an internet forum