IGNORED

“Gaming” measurements

@March Audio - The beginning of the thread, there was agreement that most people don’t understand/ trust measurements. 

As for speculation, I have shown you a datasheet that word for word matches my thought experiment. As a representative of an audio company, who makes DACs with sabres in them, maybe you could demonstrate the performance benefits of DRE in the real world?

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

And back to the objective thing for the QB9, I’m afraid this kind of thing crosses though boundaries - like I say, they didn’t deliberately add “euphoric” distortion, they must have felt that the cost in removing the alias outweighed the benefit ( ringing, phase distortion ).

I’m all for giving users the ability to choose when there may not be a “100% correct” approach. 

I’d have no problem with DRE if, for example a light came on so measurements could have an asterisk, or just be able to turn it off somehow

18 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

@March Audio - The beginning of the thread, there was agreement that most people don’t understand/ trust measurements. 

As for speculation, I have shown you a datasheet that word for word matches my thought experiment. As a representative of an audio company, who makes DACs with sabres in them, maybe you could demonstrate the performance benefits of DRE in the real world?

The conversation really didn't go that way, but yes I pointed out that understanding the test parameters is key.  This is a little different to your earlier assertion that we agreed "cheating is widespread".

Considering its your thought experiment, don't you think it's more appropriate for you to demonstrate this "gaming" in action?

Demonstrate where some ESS snr measurements are incongruous or look excessive.

Only a small sample but I have 3 ess based dacs here we can test and look for this.

Well,

I don’t have any suitable test equipment or a DAC that might do it. I can think of a few ways to illustrate it if I had such things - it’s more difficult than you might think as the test equipment gain ranges as well. 

And it’d be a pretty poor effort from the manufacturer if I could find a magazine measurement that showed it in action - since it’s meant to be a cheat, after all, and @The Computer Audiophile has made it clear these forums are not to be used to “catch out” manufacturers - so I can think of a DAC that looks like it might be doing this, but that would be speculation on my part and could cause problems for that manufacturer if I were wrong

On 5/27/2021 at 1:52 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think many people have learned that measurements and specs can be used in nefarious ways, in every hobby, business, and endeavor. As such, they take the numbers as a single data point that doesn’t usually mean too much. 

37 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

*pedant alert*
The QB-9 doesn’t add distortion in “listen” mode - it doesn’t remove as many aliasing products as in “measure” - all of which are guaranteed to be above 22.05kHz. This trade off is done to minimise ringing, a bit like ….

MQA

Ok, but that's not how it was described to me earlier.

Now where is that article on filter ringing....

16 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

Well - maybe you should do some research before jumping in? 😉

Sorry I made the mistake of trusting what I was told in this thread 😉

That the engineers wanted/implemented  some "euphonic distortion".  That implies in band and audible.  That's what I based my response on.

Here is the link.  Saves me running through it.

https://troll-audio.com/articles/filter-ringing/

28 minutes ago, idiot_savant said:

these forums are not to be used to “catch out” manufacturers - so I can think of a DAC that looks like it might be doing this, but that would be speculation on my part and could cause problems for that manufacturer if I were wrong

Thank you for being careful. It’s hard to unring a bell. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is from the Ayre DX-5. Inaudible?

1210Ayrfig01.jpg

Ayre Acoustics DX-5, frequency response at –12dBFS into 100k ohms from balanced outputs with data sampled at 44.1 and 96kHz with Measure reconstruction filter (left channel cyan, right magenta), and with Listen filter and DSD data (left blue, right red). (1dB/vertical div.)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-dx-5-universal-disc-player-measurements

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

From the same model (BTW Ayre doesn't use feedback):

1210Ayrfig07.jpg

Ayre Acoustics DX-5, spectrum of 50Hz sinewave, DC–10kHz, at 0dBFS into 600 ohms (left channel blue, right red; linear frequency scale).

1210Ayrfig08.jpg

Ayre Acoustics DX-5, Listen, HF intermodulation spectrum, DC–24kHz, 19+20kHz at 0dBFS into 100k ohms (linear frequency scale).

1210Ayrfig09.jpg

Ayre Acoustics DX-5, Measure, HF intermodulation spectrum, DC–24kHz, 19+20kHz at 0dBFS into 100k ohms (linear frequency scale).

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

@semente - thanks for the frequency response charts, my apologies - the “listen” filter appears to have a more NOS respond than I remember, but the option to choose is one I would defend. 

As for the distortion measurements, I believe the Ayre response to having too much feedback is to have none… I personally may not agree, but they’ve always said this is the trade-off they are making, not disagreed with the measurements so as I’ve always said, if that’s what you like, go for it!

*If* Ayre had claimed to have zero feedback *and* superlative distortion performance, that’s a different thing

Hi @Ryan Berry - May I be the first to thank you for posting on here? I’ve already said it, but it is genuinely refreshing for a manufacturer to say “we’ve taken decision x, it might measure worse y because z”. 

As I’m sure I’ve said, I’m all for giving people the choice! I’ve heard lots of people saying Ayre stuff sounds good, which, at the end of the day is what it’s all about?

I have more questions, but worth a thank-you

8 hours ago, Jud said:

Regarding DAC filtering: The sharper the filter (and thus the less frequency-based distortion), the greater the Gibbs effect (ringing, time-based distortion). Thus a balance has to be struck either at maximum (though not perfect) sharpness and low frequency-based distortion, maximum (though not perfect) freedom from ringing, or somewhere in between.  Frequency-based distortions (IMD and HD) are usually considered much more audible, though opinions differ to some extent, and those are usually considered more important to measure.  However, many people seem to prefer the sound of filters that are less sharp, so fine - up to them. (By the way, even more extensive user filter selectability than Ayre was available in Resonessence DACs, built by the people who designed the ESS chip.)

With regard to whether people may or ought to like the sound of distortion, you're welcome never to listen to Hendrix feedback, Zappa wah-wah or Neil Young fuzztone, but I like my distortion just fine, thank you.

The ringing only occurs with stimuli close to nyquist and is close to nyquist in frequency.

Here is a real measurement of a dirac pulse I made just now (from an ADI2 pro FSR)  with sharp filter  sample rate is 44kHz

scope_0.png.35f519afebbd2db99861bdd30a53e9d3.png

Note the period between the ringing pulses.  46uS.  This shows the ringing is at 21.7kHz.

This will only appear when there is a music signal close to nyquist.  Music signals are very low in amplitude above 20kHz so any ringing is going to be correspondingly lower.

So even with 44kHz audio its above your range of hearing and at very low level.

Filter ringing has been a big red herring in audio over the past few years.

see here for more info.

Filter ringing – Troll Audio (troll-audio.com)

21 minutes ago, March Audio said:

The ringing only occurs with stimuli close to nyquist and is close to nyquist in frequency.

Here is a real measurement of a dirac pulse I made just now (from an ADI2 pro FSR)  with sharp filter  sample rate is 44kHz

scope_0.png.35f519afebbd2db99861bdd30a53e9d3.png

Note the period between the ringing pulses.  46uS.  This shows the ringing is at 21.7kHz.

This will only appear when there is a music signal close to nyquist.  Music signals are very low in amplitude above 20kHz so any ringing is going to be correspondingly lower.

So even with 44kHz audio its above your range of hearing and at very low level.

see here for more info.

Filter ringing – Troll Audio (troll-audio.com)

I don't think you're disagreeing with anything I've said here.  Mans' position represents the majority of what I've read on the subject. But as I noted, some well respected filter designers (including at least one who makes pro products used by award winning classical producers, and I'm certainly not talking about MQA here) have written that ringing is audibly harmful and ought to be avoided to the extent possible while balancing other factors like frequency-based distortion.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Certainly DAC filter ringing is without considering ADC anti-aliasing filter ringing too. Every music signal that goes to a DAC has passed through an ADC AA filter. Except perhaps for DSD.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

With regard to whether people may or ought to like the sound of distortion, you're welcome never to listen to Hendrix feedback, Zappa wah-wah or Neil Young fuzztone, but I like my distortion just fine, thank you.

Aahh but that is the art that was created, subtle difference 😉

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don't think you're disagreeing with anything I've said here.  Mans' position represents the majority of what I've read on the subject. But as I noted, some well respected filter designers (including at least one who makes pro products used by award winning classical producers, and I'm certainly not talking about MQA here) have written that ringing is audibly harmful and ought to be avoided to the extent possible while balancing other factors like frequency-based distortion.

For sure, I wasn't disagreeing just adding some further info.

These impulse plots rarely have any additional info with them and lose context.

My experience FWIW, is that the major difference in sound is created by slow filters that roll off in the audio band.

6 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Certainly DAC filter ringing is without considering ADC anti-aliasing filter ringing too. Every music signal that goes to a DAC has passed through an ADC AA filter. Except perhaps for DSD.

This is true. Of the multitracks some may have been recorded through different ADCs with different filters.

4 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Aahh but that is the art that was created, subtle difference 😉

Sure.  But the larger point is that distortion isn't necessarily something that makes people recoil. Some folks quite like the sound of filters that leak somewhat (to the extent they can tell the difference, also a subject of back-and-forth discussion).  I'm pretty catholic in my tastes - I like the sound from the Pono, which uses a version of the Ayre filter, but with my usual software player I use quite a sharp filter.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.