IGNORED

Objectivity is based on subjective experience

erin

30 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Well actually they often died. Suffered,  had short life expectancy, feared or revered things that didn't exist.................shall I go on?

Would you prefer to go back to living in a cave?

Beyond this I'm not sure what point you are trying to make or it's relevance to audio reproduction.

Are you saying that people have stopped dying? That they love more than before? That they are getting happier every day? Seriously? 

And, I can assure you that I have nothing against to be in the company of Socrates or Buddha rather than that of any modern lover of science.

25 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I’d rather not go back to the dark ages to live before modern science. Not a place or time I’d find acceptable, regardless of whatever ‘truths’ you think they may have discovered.

People may not realize yet that they have already entered Huxley's brave new world, with vaccines, lockdowns, and this is just the beginning. Well who likes what, there's nothing to argue about.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

People may not realize yet that they have already entered Huxley's brave new world, with vaccines, lockdowns, and this is just the beginning. Well who likes what, there's nothing to argue about.

Is resistance futile in your world?

spacer.png

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Science didn't create immoral, unethical, or criminal human behavior. That predates modern science by about a million years. 

9 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

They already did, by sharing the truth with me and everybody else.

Is the scientific method at odds with this "truth" or simply a different way of expressing it?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

21 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, and didn't create moral, ethical and lawful behavior either.

Not something that science is designed to do. Science is a tool that can be misused, just like one can misuse a knife. And just like a knife, it's senseless to blame the tool. Blame human nature, instead.

13 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, and you may also notice that modern science has finally 'discovered' something that the Upanishads said quite clearly thousands of years ago.

Didn't know that science finally discovered Brahman! ;)

And why are we discussing science vs. religion and metaphysics on an audio forum? In an objective part of the forum no less? 

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, and you may also notice that modern science has finally 'discovered' something that the Upanishads said quite clearly thousands of years ago.

The scientific method used in "modern science" isn't really modern as it's based on the works of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

8 hours ago, March Audio said:

Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about or it's relevance.

No surprises.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Are you saying that people have stopped dying? That they love more than before? That they are getting happier every day? Seriously? 

And, I can assure you that I have nothing against to be in the company of Socrates or Buddha rather than that of any modern lover of science.

It was you that was implying that life was oh so wonderful before modern science.  I just pointed out the obvious benefits science has given us.

Had your covid jab yet?

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Didn't know that science finally discovered Brahman! ;)

And why are we discussing science vs. religion and metaphysics on an audio forum? In an objective part of the forum no less? 

I was just about to say this. Why Anotherspin is conflating anything discussed with, and bringing faith and religion is beyond me.

Science works.  The evidence is all around us.

13 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, that's exactly what happened every time I've been improving the power supply chain. Earlier, not any more -- at some point, I suddenly realized clearly that I was hearing a difference/improvement for the first week or two only. And then I don't hear a difference anymore, everything sounds "as before". Human perception knows how to adjust. 

What human perception is excellent at, is being sensitive to something not being as good as it was a moment before. Good replay is very 'comfortable' to listen to - and frequently when it degrades, a distinct discomfort factor intrudes ... understanding that these are the clues of system misbehaviour is a very powerful tool, for making progress ...

Things don't always sound "better" - it's all about, is it sounding "worse" than I know it can sound like?

What gets me about audio "science" is that it is so badly done - I usually end up rolling my eyes, and giving up reading the paper; the methods used are so poor, and so many assumptions are made ... meaning that the conclusions are just stabs in the dark.

Now, if the audio researchers actually did use science, rather than a pale imitation of such, then it might be worth taking more seriously ...

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

What gets me about audio "science" is that it is so badly done - I usually end up rolling my eyes, and giving up reading the paper; the methods used are so poor, and so many assumptions are made ... meaning that the conclusions are just stabs in the dark.

Now, if the audio researchers actually did use science, rather than a pale imitation of such, then it might be worth taking more seriously ...

Examples please.

Oh dear, you're taking me seriously - I threw that one up, as an example of research into a concept that is more and more being seen as a con, especially by members of this forum ... if people with an agenda other than advancing the art, have their 'work' treated as being meaningful by the establishment, heaven help research into genuine issues, 😉.