IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Only useful benchmark is HQPlayer itself. None of the benchmarks I have seen so far resemble HQPlayer workloads.

would be very useful then to recruit among the readers of that thread someone with a M2 Pro + someone with M2 Max, to complete your M1 MAX and my M1, and agree on one track to process as you suggested (null output ?) and compare results

With my M1 Mac Studio:

I can run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / AMSDM7EC 512+F1.

I cannot run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / ASDM7ECv3 (hear a pop every 10 seconds or so).

I prefer the former, so I’m satisfied.

System:

NAA: SoTM Trifecta (SMS-200Ultra Neo, txUSB-Ultra, SPS-500) + SBooster

DAC: Holo May

Preamp: VAC Renaissance Mk V

Amp: Parasound JC1+ monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia III + twin REL subs

27 minutes ago, Reg19 said:

With my M1 Mac Studio:

I can run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / AMSDM7EC 512+F1.

I cannot run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / ASDM7ECv3 (hear a pop every 10 seconds or so).

I prefer the former, so I’m satisfied.

System:

NAA: SoTM Trifecta (SMS-200Ultra Neo, txUSB-Ultra, SPS-500) + SBooster

DAC: Holo May

Preamp: VAC Renaissance Mk V

Amp: Parasound JC1+ monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia III + twin REL subs

convolution or not ? how about Super ? At the moment I play 24 96 Sinc MG 7EC Super (my favorite combo) + convo but at 256 only

Major limitation is with DSD 64 sources

On 5/9/2023 at 6:14 AM, Schafheide said:

Herewith my Mini M2 Pro results.

In my system Mini M2 Pro sound is more full than M1 8GB - better bass, more detail (maybe the larger power supply?

With the M1 8GB I could not do DSD64 to DSD256 using ECv2 (with Matrix Pipeline - Headphone EQ).

With M2 Pro I can do this (using Sinc-MG & ECv3.

PCM/DXD to DSD512 is also achievable using Sinc-MG & light 512+fs

Yup the power supply does matters. Try the power mod for M1, and you can play around with different LPS to suit your sound preference.  

23 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

convolution or not ? how about Super ? At the moment I play 24 96 Sinc MG 7EC Super (my favorite combo) + convo but at 256 only

No convolution.

I paid for HQP5 straight away to support Jussi (without demo’ing it).

@Kalpesh Just curious: what does the rest of your system comprise of? 

To be frank, though, while I noticed a big improvement in SQ by using HQP with my earlier (lesser) setups (especially with my earlier RME ADI-2FS Ver 2 DAC), I now prefer bypassing HQP with my current setup. I’ve concluded that after about 4 months of going back and forth.

23 hours ago, Edd said:

Yup the power supply does matters. Try the power mod for M1, and you can play around with different LPS to suit your sound preference.  

I can certainly atest to that but, unfortunately the aftermarket PS board which I installed on my M1 16GB flamed out.  So I reinstalled the Apple board and sold the M1 16GB (it was working perfectly).  So I decided it was time to get an M2 Pro - no regrets!

Hello everyone, I use an all in One HP with i7 as Roon's core with HQplayer and this machine does not have the capacity to run HQplayer with the heaviest modulators upsampling to DSD 256.

I thought about buying a Mini. M1 for this task but would like to hear from someone who uses it with HQplayer, will they be able to run this setup? I thank everyone.

I'm running MMM1 with DSD256 using any of the ECx modulators (currently deciding between ECv3 and EC-super) and almost all filters, plus Roon core for about a year.  The optimizations in HQPlayer keep getting better.  Currently using about 1/4-1/3 of the CPU, and no fan noise.  My library only has about 1000 albums, and I don't do convolution, but I do use Pipeline and speaker channel balance sometimes.  I only have 8GB RAM, and has never been an issue for my setup, but some people say they need 16GB in their setup.   I've turned off most MacOS services, but probably that doesn't matter any more.  When I first got my MMM1 a year and a half ago, DSD256 with EC and ext2 was pushing it to the limit (without Roon), but now it is no sweat.

You'll need an NAA if you want to do native DSD rather than DoP.

1 hour ago, musicjunkie917 said:

I like these settings:

SDM Integrator: FIR2
SDM Conversion: XFi
48K DSD: Checked
DAC Bits: 20
Default Output Mode: SDM (DSD)
SDM Defaults:
1x = poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Modulator: ASDM7EC-super
Bit rate: 48K x 256
Multicore DSP: Greyed
Adaptive output rate: Checked

great settings musicjunckie also I like the below but I think my planar mids and AMT tweeters may have an impact on preference here too.

SDM Integrator: FIR2
SDM Conversion: XFi
48K DSD: Checked
DAC Bits: 20
Default Output Mode: SDM (DSD)
SDM Defaults:
1x = poly-sinc-ext3
Nx = poly-sinc-ext2
Modulator: ASDM7EC-v3
Bit rate: 48K x 256
Multicore DSP: Greyed
Adaptive output rate: Checked

It might be worth starting a new topic about HQPlayer 5 on Mac mini M1/M2/M2Pro.

(I'm still on HQP4 at the moment)

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

@Miska The choice of modulator being technically driven, what is your recommendation for Holo ?

EC Super is very soft (nicely so) and depicts layers very nicely. But I tried a piano record where it stretched left the keyboard compared to ECV3 : Super is more revealing or the same technicality that makes instruments individualised in an orchestra becomes a liability with a single (large) instrument ?

2 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

@Miska The choice of modulator being technically driven, what is your recommendation for Holo ?

EC Super is very soft (nicely so) and depicts layers very nicely. But I tried a piano record where it stretched left the keyboard compared to ECV3 : Super is more revealing or the same technicality that makes instruments individualised in an orchestra becomes a liability with a single (large) instrument ?

For Spring 3 / May, ASDM7EC-light/super 512+fs at DSD512, especially if you are listening mostly classical. But any of the 7th order EC modulators work very well.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, MikePid said:

Estou executando o MMM1 com DSD256 usando qualquer um dos moduladores ECx (atualmente decidindo entre ECv3 e EC-super) e quase todos os filtros, além do núcleo Roon por cerca de um ano. As otimizações no HQPlayer estão cada vez melhores. Atualmente usando cerca de 1/4-1/3 da CPU e sem ruído do ventilador. Minha biblioteca tem apenas cerca de 1.000 álbuns e não faço convolução, mas às vezes uso o Pipeline e o equilíbrio do canal do alto-falante. Tenho apenas 8 GB de RAM e nunca foi um problema para minha configuração, mas algumas pessoas dizem que precisam de 16 GB em sua configuração. Desativei a maioria dos serviços MacOS, mas provavelmente isso não importa mais. Quando recebi meu MMM1 pela primeira vez, há um ano e meio, DSD256 com EC e ext2 estava levando-o ao limite (sem Roon), mas agora não é problema.

Você precisará de um NAA se quiser fazer DSD nativo em vez de DoP.

Great to know that, I'm in doubt between the 8 and 16GB version, prices here in Brazil are high for the 16GB version, my Roon library has 120k tracks so it looks like the way. I use OpticalRendu as NAA. I already have a great linear source and the external source adapter cable to use with the Mini, I hope to have a great improvement over my HP.

How is the memory usage on your mini?

4 hours ago, juniorbudel said:

Great to know that, I'm in doubt between the 8 and 16GB version, prices here in Brazil are high for the 16GB version, my Roon library has 120k tracks so it looks like the way. I use OpticalRendu as NAA. I already have a great linear source and the external source adapter cable to use with the Mini, I hope to have a great improvement over my HP.

How is the memory usage on your mini?

I have a 8 ; my advice : buy a 16

I am not sure if it has been discussed here.

I am using these tools to listen Apple Music.

Apple Music > Logic Pro + DearVR Monitor (for converting Dolby Atmos to Binaural) > HQplayer > DAC > headphone.

The sound quality is phenomenal.  Since that I have ditched Roon.

I don't mean Roon is bad.  But this package has too many advantages over Roon for streaming music, especially if you are interested in Dolby Atmos.

I will post more if anyone interested in the settings.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:19 PM, Kalpesh said:

For me EC super is like you are closer to the orchestra, which for my headphones, is better.  I was once told that 12 rows back is ideal for most concert halls.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, Kalpesh said:

Actually, I was wrong - I can play DSD 512 AMSDM7EC 512+f1 / sinc MGa without worries. The bottleneck was my streamer (SoTM Trifecta). Changing to Sonore opticalRendu fixes this.

With my Intel NUC (hosting Roon), Mac Studio (hosting HQP), and SMS-200Ultra Neo all connected to the Innuos Phoenix Net switch, I can play a bit less (the regular DSD256 / ASDM7ECv3 / Sinc MGa) but it sounds very good.

So, I’m back to using HQP.