IGNORED

Purifi Class D

22 hours ago, mocenigo said:

There are two ways a system can be "revealing".

For the audiophilics (sic!) it means that the electronics are badly designed enough that, for instance, the additional electrical characteristics of intentionally bad cables (the expensive ones) modify frequency response and phase. This is what leads to a waster of money in exotic power cords, interconnects, speaker cables, accessories, etc.

Roberto

From Mola Mola website's description of the Kaluga amps:  2 pairs of Furutech binding posts. Biwired directly to the amplifier PCB using Kubala-Sosna cable.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

note that I used to be a subjective audiophile!

what cured you?

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Had a second look on their product matrix & found their product's naming tends a tiny bit to the subjective side 9_9
... but all good ...

Well, they don't have a Nirvana cable yet.  Perhaps they were working on it and in the process realized the futility of physical cables.  Maybe the next step is they will give their cables away to whoever wants them.  

On 6/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, Jud said:

Also at RMAF I attended a seminar on distortion given by Audio Precision.  The distortion I turned out to be most sensitive to was slew rate limiting. The Spectral had an unbelievably high slew rate.  The slew rate for the Purifi-based amp I was considering wasn't as high.

Very cool @Jud  It would be so helpful if there were an online diagnostic tool that helped identify the distortion one is most sensitive to and provided a threshold measurement for that distortion.  Then the measurements provided by manufacturers would be more meaningful to more hobbyists and some of these generalized discussions on threads would be more centered on one's hearing as a determinant of what's good/best.   I'm not sure it would result in world peace, but a good start.  

Has anyone listened to the T+A A 200 stereo amplifier based upon PURIFI Eigentakt module?

At about $5k, an investment, but T+A is known for excellent build quality and adding their own innovative technology.  Interesting that they provide a button to lower the damping factor, if desired.  

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-200/a-200-power-amplifier/?doing_wp_cron=1687373168.4108328819274902343750

@barrows and @Matias, are your recommendations based upon listening as well as specs and design?  Just curious.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mocenigo said:

"Typical" is here the key.  Subjectivists claim that there are aspects that one must consider very carefully. For instance, I have a recording of Nielsen's 5th symphony (Sir Colin Davis, LSO, LSO's own label) where there is a descending clarinet introducing a movement. On DACs that are otherwise indistinguishable, the clapping of the keys has a different perceptibility...

best

Roberto

I understand the intellectual interest in ABX as it pertains to our ability to differentiate sounds, but I truly don't understand how this applies to the enjoyment of listening to music at home or the task/hobby of assembling a home system for playback.  

Wouldn't any "test" also apply to listening to live music?  I have never been to a classical concert and heard someone whisper:  did you hear the clear clapping of the keys just then? 

6 hours ago, mocenigo said:

Oh, of course it can work both ways. If one is absolutely persuaded that there cannot be any difference, they may be not hearing one even if it should be audible. And I am sure the most informed "ASR types" will agree on this. The point is that if a difference can be detected and in a reproducible way, then it exists. These tests can only prove the something exists (but they may still fail to), but cannot prove that something does not exist, and this is obvious.

After extensive research, I was able to find this rare footage of ASR true believers.  Of course, they would be even more passionate talking about their hobby!

11 hours ago, Jud said:

New Coke: Two implications.

One: The qualities that people prefer in a blind test, a sort of “quick hit” to our sensory perceptions, may not be those they prefer in situations where they are able to partake of the product at their leisure. Thus we have greater sweetness that wins a quick taste test, but not something that consumers preferred over the longer term. In audio, we know that greater loudness will be preferred; if loudness is carefully equalized, are there other qualities that are preferred in rapid listening tests, but not over the longer term?

Two: As I’ve mentioned before, humans are terrific at pattern matching. This is why training works in audio as well as other areas. With New Coke, though greater sweetness was preferred in the unfamiliar environment of a taste test, when having a soft drink in familiar situations, New Coke didn’t match the pattern built up over years of “having a Coke.” It didn’t taste “right.” The same with audio. We build up preferences over years and then recognize when something doesn’t fit the familiar pattern. We can perceive this as an improvement, or perhaps as sounding worse. But we should recognize that long familiarity does ingrain patterns that sound “right” to us.

Sounds right to me but my brain intruded as I read the New Coke story and came up with the following thoughts/questions:

-- Did human evolution stop in the mid 80s?

-- The (U.S.) Civil War will never truly end.

-- For some folks, the War of Northern Aggression is related to Communists.

-- New York and Los Angeles are not to be trusted.  Ever.  

-- Bill Cosby has some nerve!

-- Do marketing guys ever get it right?  Or do they just take credit for circumstantial success and blame somebody else for failures?  

-- Why do some executives make loads of money even though they lack common sense?

41 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Please add: Where is Bielefeld ? ( a common German misconception ...)

The fact that Bielefeld did not appear in the New Coke article if further proof it doesn't exist.