IGNORED

Trying to setup a TP-Link TL-ER6020 Router

Trying to get a network router properly connected brings me the same level of enjoyment as having an impacted wisdom tooth removed.

I have a TP-Link TL-ER6020 Router for which I (think) I correctly configured the IP address.

The DHCP server is enabled.

And yet, when I connect my laptop, which does receive an internet connection when I connect its ethernet port elsewhere in the house, I get nothing except the ability to access the menu of the router.

I tried to follow the direction of the instruction manual but that hasn't been helpful enough to keep me from writing this post.

If anyone offers any suggestions, I'll be grateful.

Thanks and here's wishing you and your families a very happy Thanksgiving.

Joel

15 hours ago, joelha said:

And yet, when I connect my laptop, which does receive an internet connection when I connect its ethernet port elsewhere in the house, I get nothing except the ability to access the menu of the router.

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201810/20181031/1910012491_TL-ER6120ER5120ER6020_UG.pdf

Maybe you’re connecting to different ports ?

I think there is only one LAN port available. So you need to use this in both cases. 

The router can provide a maximum of four WAN ports. Each WAN port has its own internet connection, providing link backup and load balancing.

May I ask why you bought this item. It’s seems not a normal router. Mote a special device for VPN’s. Or several ISP interfaces. It doesn’t work as a switch if I understand manual correctly. You have only one LAN port. That’s the only useful interface for you locally. 

Thanks very much for the reply, RC1200L.

This router was highly recommended by a friend I trust in the audio industry.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing. It seems, based on the image, that there's more than one LAN port available.

https://www.amazon.com/SafeStream-TL-ER6020-Broadband-throughput-Concurrent/dp/B00A8NWU70/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=TP-Link+SafeStream+TL-ER6020&dchild=1&keywords=TP-Link+SafeStream+TL-ER6020&pd_rd_i=B00A8NWU70&pd_rd_r=c0caa0bf-b73d-4c9d-bbe8-556c4450f82b&pd_rd_w=QZYbF&pd_rd_wg=lTpE0&pf_rd_p=c33e4373-edb9-47f9-a7e6-5d3d6a7a4ad0&pf_rd_r=Q7DQJFP56N5S5CXFNES7&psc=1&qid=1606491734&sr=1-1-5e875a02-02b1-4426-9916-8a5c26cd5a14

In any event, how would I use a single LAN port both for input and output?

I'm probably misunderstanding your point.

Thanks again for your offer to help.

Joel

17 minutes ago, joelha said:

In any event, how would I use a single LAN port both for input and output?

This is not the same router I linked the user guide to. This one has 3 LAN. So any of those LAN should work. (Switch). WLAN to your ISP. 

Do you get different results depending on the LAN ports in use ?

My device is a 6020 and I believe the link you sent me was for a 6120.

I feel silly asking, but I should connect my ISP to the WAN and then my devices to the LAN ports?

I think I actually tried that yesterday and it didn't work.

But I don't think I tried other LAN ports.

Joel

On 11/28/2020 at 12:32 AM, joelha said:

I feel silly asking, but I should connect my ISP to the WAN and then my devices to the LAN ports?

Yes, ISP (modem) to WAN Port 1, and your laptop to LAN port (1).

Having "VLAN, Multi-NAT, 4 WAN Load balance or auto failover" in the product description is not an appropriate recommendation for a consumer who do not consider himself to be a network expert.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 11/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, joelha said:

My device is a 6020 and I believe the link you sent me was for a 6120.

That user guide also cover 6020

On 11/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, joelha said:

Yes. But you need to read that user guide carefully. You may also download latest firmware from here. 
https://www.tp-link.com/no/support/download/tl-er6020/

I find it a bit confusing that Amazon picture doesn’t equal TP website. 

———————————-

You need to configure the WLAN port 1 as dynamic IP. (Assuming that’s what your ISP is offering). See page 13 and 14 in user guide. 

You then probably need to configure the DHCP server as said in chapter 3.2. 
———————————-

If still problems, you may consider a different type of router. 
Was your intention to have a separate audio network?

@joelha  Do not worry, these units  have a history of providing headaches to many IP admins - afaik the problem for home users is the absence of standard plug&play ...

Here in our forum @plissken would be the source of trust regarding network configurations.
You may get in touch with him on PM basis or you may share the necessary config routine her for other users to know.

- To my (limited) knowledge, you need to integrate the TP device first in your LAN before you can use devices connected to it deploying your ISPs services or LAN connectivity.

- The configuration you are about to perform then should connect the WAN/LAN ports (the ones you connect your notebook to) with your ISP router/LAN connection.
?? How many devices you want to connect to the TP & should these devices be connected to you standard home LAN as well ? 
Your dentist may use laser technique to get rid of all these inflammations before extricating your source of wisdom ;-)
Enjoy your Sunday!!!
Best, Tom

4 hours ago, plissken said:

If your laptop is running Windows:

Hit the Windows key by the space bar. Type in CMD and hit the enter key and a new black box should appear. Type in ipconfig and hit enter.

Paste the output here.

I realize the "media disconnected" message is likely the issue.

Figuring out where to go from here is where I'll appreciate the help.

Thanks so much, plissken, for taking the time.

And thanks to R1200CL and DuckToller for trying to help me out as well.

I not only appreciate the advice but also the moral support concerning the difficulties involved in configuring devices like this one.

You're good guys.

Joel

ipconfig output - November 29, 2020.JPG

1 hour ago, joelha said:

Thanks plissken.

I'll change the gateway as you suggest.

ISP to WAN is good and then, just for testing purpose, I'm running the LAN port directly to the Ethernet port of my laptop.

What am I missing?

Joel

You should be getting gateway and DNS ip from the DHCP Server. Make sure your ip setting in windows set to obtain automatically.

Thanks again.

If my laptop is able to pickup a network connection from an ethernet port elsewhere in the house (when the new router is not connected), wouldn't that address your point about making sure the ip setting Windows is set properly, or is there something else I should be looking for?

I appreciate your walking me through what must be very basic for you and others regarding networks.

Joel

Please also read manual chapter 2.1. It seems you must assign a wlan port as a start. 
(Remember to save). 

Try to find your ISP DNS, or check your WiFi router have that info. 
You need to get an public IP address as showed in picture below. 
Remember to press save for any change you do. 

And one more important thing. YOU MUST PRESS CONNECT 😀

Did you ever do ?

Also you must configure the DHCP server. Please read manual. 

E5A30CB7-A453-466A-AC37-842194592ECA.jpeg