IGNORED

Mola Mola Tambaqui vs T+A DAC 8 DSD - mini review

• 3 weeks later...

This is very interesting reading, I have had an eye on the Tambaqui for a while but they're so uncommon where I live that I've never tried to find one for a listen. I guess there are a lot more DAC 8 DSDs in the field, but they're still a niche DAC and not FOTM anymore. This was great to hear your feedback on the two, much appreciated for sharing.

Is there any chance you can take more pictures of the copper mods or just the whole DAC 8 DSD? I have one too and that first picture looks pretty great.

The panzerholz part isn't too surprising since they use it inside the Extreme Server, but the spiral pattern is pretty unique looking. As soon as I saw your pictures I thought it looked familiar, and then I saw your description saying it was the same as their isolation platform. 

Haha, I can't say how much I buy into it, but the copper really looks fantastic. Thanks a lot for sharing those. 

One other DAC I'm keeping an eye on lately is the new Rockna Audio Wavelight. I don't think I'll get in a listen unless I buy one, but reading what I have on it gives me the feeling that it's another "diamond in the rough" like the T+A DAC 8 DSD. The DAC 8 DSD is pricy, but the overall performance is fantastic and the sound really does have a rewarding rhythm to it that I haven't been able to satisfy yet with another DAC. 

• 2 months later...

@Gavin: thanks for this excellent mini review.

I also use T+A DAC 8 DSD fed 256 DSD  from a PC running HQPlayer.

In my setup I use T+A (fixed output) with a preamp. I agree with Shahed99 that volume control of the T+A is the weakest link.  I’ve tried connect T+A variable volume control with direct XLR connection  to power amp, in my system the SQ degradation is so obvious maybe around 10% SQ degradation especially on soundtage depth. After 5  minutes I switched back to pre + power setup.

It would be interesting  if someone could share the experience on comparing Mola Mola Tambaqui vs T+A DAC 8 DSD in pre + power amp setup.

I fully agree with your findings - my conclusions still stand on the Mola Mola vs T+A if you run the T+A with fixed volume.  I ran it like that towards the end of my review.  It does improve things in the order that you suggest, removing a veil from the music - but the traits of the two DACs remain the same.

2 hours ago, adelphi said:

I’ve tried connect T+A variable volume control with direct XLR connection  to power amp, in my system the SQ degradation is so obvious maybe around 10% SQ degradation especially on soundtage depth.

This agrees with my findings as well. However, my way out is to use the DAC8DSD set to fixed volume directly connected to power amps and to contol the volume with software. Using HQPlayers volume control, the SQ improvement beyond my Pre+Power setup experience was about 20% on the same scale ... and my preamp is the Ayre KX-5 which was a crucial element in my system prior to the DAC8DSD ... now parked on the side. That amazing SQ obtained when bypassing the preamp in this way was my breakthrough moment when it became clear that I will have to keep the wonderful DAC8DSD. I am still intrigued to try the Holo Audio May and/or the Tambaqui. However, the DAC8DSD still amazes me each time I return from listening to it.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

@Gavin:

Did you find Mola Mola sound better with preamp ?

@Fds:

I will try your tips to use HQPlayer volume control.

Since I got DAC8DSD my turntable and  SACD player are semi retired.

Actually I need preamp because I still have these other sources.

With all great reviews Mola Mola is quite tempting as an upgrade but pricing is around 3x DAC8DSD price, I think law of diminishing return for DAC kicks in hard at DAC8DSD price point.

My personal take on DAC direct to amp or DAC to pre first is that I always prefer the former.
It is true that software volume is really good nowadays but it would be much better if the DACs provided their own built-in analog volume control and preferably with at least one analog input (for home cinema use).

I only use digital source and this is all I need. There aren't many all-in-one DACs but currently COS D10 seems like a good value.
I wish T+A upgrades the 8DSD to include a decent volume control, as their top models are way too expensive and provide so much more than I need.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!