IGNORED

High Quality Soundbar For A Desktop Computer System?

I'm wondering if such a thing exists. My initial research indicates that these consist of mostly very tiny, limited devices, cheaply made and priced. 

I am in the process of moving to another house, and my office/den, in which my desktop resides, is just not set up to accommodate my old, but still very effective,  Klipsch computer surround sound system. The way in which things need to be positioned in the room I will be using would be very unsightly, and otherwise problematic. 

If anyone knows of a quality subwoofer for computer use, any information would be appreciated. It would be used, now and then, for gaming, but more often for sound for youtube videos, or listening to sports talk,and the occasional live concert on Sirius/XM that I have no way to route through my audio system in the room. 

Thanks for any help.

JC

I think the words "high quality" and "sound bar" cannot be used in the same sentence- its an audio rule! 

The only one I've ever heard positives about from others in the industry was the top end Sennheiser AMBEO.  Not heard it myself.

Brad

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands we import to the US are ATC, Tube Tech, Drawmer, MUTEC, Bettermaker 

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave   

For surround sound or quality surround sound, your kind of out of luck.  Companies just don't seem to make these components for computer use.  I was giving, as a gift, the Bose Companion 20.  It has a nice volume controller on/off button but the sound is only ok.  

I've used my KEFLS50W for awhile as desk top monitors but they need to be about a foot or two behind the desk for the best results.  The best sound I've ever had off the computer (for computer use only, YouTube, Guitar recording ect..) was a pair of Mackie 824mkii speakers.  Again these were about three feet from my ears and sounded amazing.  I had them setup for mixing guitar tracks and general YouTube viewing.  No subwoofer was needed for this setup.  Downside is that they were/are too large for any common desktop.  I had them and the KEF's on stands behind and to the side of the desk.  Guitar Center/Sweetwater have plenty of 2.1 monitor combos to choose from but you'll need to listen first before you buy.  I loved those Mackie's thou.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The challenge with 2.1 is it doesn't work so well with movies or video that always have a center (dialogue) channel.  Having dialogue from left or right is asking the receiver or amp processing to decide where and how to handle dialogue, which is never good.   So 3.1 is the smallest I would go as a desktop solution UNLESS its only music, never video or movies. 

Brad

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave   

6 minutes ago, Lone Mountain Audio said:

The challenge with 2.1 is it doesn't work so well with movies or video that always have a center (dialogue) channel.  Having dialogue from left or right is asking the receiver or amp processing to decide where and how to handle dialogue

Isn’t it stereo? In stereo you can “see” the sound moving from left, stay to center, than go to right .... and the frequencies from the subwoofer are too low (under 80Hz) to be directional ...

Stefano

My audio system

30 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Isn’t it stereo? In stereo you can “see” the sound moving from left, stay to center, than go to right .... and the frequencies from the subwoofer are too low (under 80Hz) to be directional ...

Most dialogue never varies from a "center only" position when it comes to movies.  They have been adding sound effects to center more and more (explosions etc), and sometimes even music, but Id say that's the exception to the rule. 

Brad Lunde

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...