IGNORED

Cheap turnkey Linux server software for networks?

8 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I'm 99% certain that JRiver will output files to networked DLNA devices upsampled to DSD

.... the 1% left wins .... I can confirm JRiver cannot upsample to DSD using DLNA.

It can play dsf files as native dsd or DoP and can upsample pcm but not dsd.

You can find the answer from JRiver support staff here

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92801.msg867905.html#msg867905

Stefano

My audio system

43 minutes ago, bluesman said:

Maybe I don't understand what you want to do, but I'm 99% certain that JRiver will output files to networked DLNA devices upsampled to DSD.  You can set your output format to either native DSD or to DoP, each at multiple resolutions, in the DSP Studio window.  You have to run Bubble or a similar UPnP server with it, but I assume you're already doing that or your  DLNA / UPnP device(s) wouldn't show up as JR zones.

I have confirmed with JRiver that this can't be done over the network, although it can be done with ASIO.  Even though DSP Studio appears to allow a DSD upsampling option to be selected in network setup, that option should have been greyed out because it doesn't work.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92801.msg869602.html#msg869602.

I can't resist taking a shot at Roon here, since this post is about my desire to disengage if I can approximate its "back end."  Roon isn't entirely useless to me because it sounds great and has incredible connectivity around the house, but, for my collection, the interface is a value subtract, not add.  As I mentioned in the original post, the "front end" can't identify much of my classical or jazz music, or misidentifies it, or can't find any additional data about what it identifies, or finds additional material that is mundane or just incorrect, or makes finding a Miles Davis album into a task because "Miles Davis" now is "Miles Davis" or "Miles Davis Quartet" or "Miles Davis Quintet" or "Miles Davis Sextet" or "Miles Davis Nonet." I can manually edit these thousands of albums, and have been doing so over a course of months, but editing could not possibly be more inconvenient or slow because of the need to poll the online database every time I change anything.  Add that the interface wastes valuable screen space and takes way, way too many clicks to move through data and I just hate using it.  If your collection is mostly pop or Diane Krall, I can see the value, but I really am not Roon's intended customer.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

22 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

.... the 1% left wins .... I can confirm JRiver cannot upsample to DSD using DLNA.

It can play dsf files as native dsd or DoP and can upsample pcm but not dsd.

You can find the answer from JRiver support staff here

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92801.msg867905.html#msg867905

Thanks.  Your post apparently appeared while I was typing my own response to bluesman.  :)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Audirvana will stream DSD via UPnP/DLNA. But you lose the ability to upsample DSD (PCM can be upsampled to DSD, and DSD files can be played at their native resolution).

Edit: Audirvana plays DSD natively (rather than via DoP) only in the Windows version.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Audirvana will stream DSD via UPnP/DLNA. But you lose the ability to upsample DSD (PCM can be upsampled to DSD, and DSD files can be played at their native resolution).

Edit: Audirvana plays DSD natively (rather than via DoP) only in the Windows version.

Thanks, Jud.  I used Audirvana before I started using Roon.  I uninstalled it because I have had a couple of issues with it, not the least of which is that it routinely ran my cpu into the high 90c's when upsampling.  Considering that I switched from JRiver MC to Audirvana only because I could upsample to DSD over DLNA, I decided to move on.

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

I can't resist taking a shot at Roon here, since this post is about my desire to disengage if I can approximate its "back end."  Roon isn't entirely useless to me because it sounds great and has incredible connectivity around the house, but, for my collection, the interface is a value subtract, not add.  As I mentioned in the original post, the "front end" can't identify much of my classical or jazz music, or misidentifies it, or can't find any additional data about what it identifies, or finds additional material that is mundane or just incorrect, or makes finding a Miles Davis album into a task because "Miles Davis" now is "Miles Davis" or "Miles Davis Quartet" or "Miles Davis Quintet" or "Miles Davis Sextet" or "Miles Davis Nonet." I can manually edit these thousands of albums, and have been doing so over a course of months, but editing could not possibly be more inconvenient or slow because of the need to poll the online database every time I change anything.  Add that the interface wastes valuable screen space and takes way, way too many clicks to move through data and I just hate using it.  If your collection is mostly pop or Diane Krall, I can see the value, but I really am not Roon's intended customer.

I agree and add that it is also more of a resource hog.  Beautiful, nonetheless.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks, Kal.  I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness when it comes to Roon.

P.S. I know she's "Diana" Krall.  Autocorrection error that I failed to notice within the edit window.

32 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Jud.  I used Audirvana before I started using Roon.  I uninstalled it because I have had a couple of issues with it, not the least of which is that it routinely ran my cpu into the high 90c's when upsampling.  Considering that I switched from JRiver MC to Audirvana only because I could upsample to DSD over DLNA, I decided to move on.

HQPlayer is not shy about using cpu if you decide to go that route.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

HQPlayer is not shy about using cpu if you decide to go that route.

Well aware!  Otherwise, I would have tried it before Roon.  I don't seem to have too many options, though, especially with a NUC.  If I hadn't been seduced by the NUC form factor (it tucks into the dead space behind my monitor on my desk), I probably should have invested a bit more in a server that runs a desktop CPU.

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

As I mentioned in the original post, the "front end" can't identify much of my classical or jazz music, or misidentifies it, or can't find any additional data about what it identifies, or finds additional material that is mundane or just incorrect, or makes finding a Miles Davis album into a task because "Miles Davis" now is "Miles Davis" or "Miles Davis Quartet" or "Miles Davis Quintet" or "Miles Davis Sextet" or "Miles Davis Nonet."

I did see that and therefore wasn’t suggesting Roon for your needs.  But I solved the indexing problem by using Foobar to rip all CDs with the same naming and tagging scheme, then mp3Tag to batch-correct and augment the tags for artist, album artist etc (doing each album as I ripped or loaded them).  I use a few custom tags to further categorize my files, but the basics are identical throughout.  So all my files appear the same way in Roon, JRiver and Foobar2000. It took me about 9 months to do the first 1000.

It’s a bit more work to tag classical libraries so they index and consistently appear the way you want them. I added composer, conductor, location, etc.  But with planning up front, you can set up a library scheme that’s pretty close to platform independent.

I didn’t know that JR’s DSP Studio upsampling doesn’t work with DLNA.  It’s not grayed out, so I rightfully assumed it’s functional given that I have several DLNA zones.  That Yabb thread is very interesting - you’d think they’d remove the apparent option until they can make it work.  Sorry about that!

I do use a universal naming convention for both classical and jazz.  I got album titles and performer names to appear in Roon as they do in JRiver (where I do my metadata editing) by setting up import to use my metadata instead of its own, so that it appears as I wish.  Then, unfortunately, Roon can’t identify the album and I don’t get the “premium content.”  I guess I’ve derailed my own thread by taking it off topic like this, but I hope this shows there actually is a method to my madness!

17 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Well aware!  Otherwise, I would have tried it before Roon.  I don't seem to have too many options, though, especially with a NUC.  If I hadn't been seduced by the NUC form factor (it tucks into the dead space behind my monitor on my desk), I probably should have invested a bit more in a server that runs a desktop CPU.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjCkKmk3KzrAhXk_eMHHZ2VDhsYABAHGgJ5bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-Ropon4IEfakm6RofE27-rRKZQ&sig=AOD64_30xeKUAqHD3mCWTcVdAA10mniM8w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwix0J2k3KzrAhXXB80KHXd5APYQwg96BAgOECI&adurl=

Well, Daphile is a linux based LMS system. It does work well and is the right price too. It will run in memory also, booting from a USB stick. I have no issues with DSD files either.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects