IGNORED

Article: Audio Recording Primer Part 2: Recording Media

Thank you, Chris, for posting the second of this five-part article. One caveat to readers; this series was written over a number of years, and some of the equipment mentioned above has since been superseded or made obsolete (like the Hi-MD Minidisc system) by the passage of time. It is best to view equipment mentions as the type of equipment “needed“ to successfully do amateur or semi-pro location recording, rather than being recommendations for specific brands and models. Hope you all enjoy this series.

George

Very informative article. A couple of points on using a computer for recording. I started recording using Firewire on a Mac tower many years ago; first direct and then via a RME Fireface 400 interface. Very happy with the resulting recordings. I much regretted the demise of Firewire input on macs but solved the problem by buying a Belkin Express Dock which has a thunderbolt input and Firewire, USB3 and thunderbolt outputs. The RME firewire devices are excellent; their ADCs are very good - the ADI-2 Pro in particular.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

The two-channel Korg DS-DAC-10R bears mentioning. Compact, powered via laptop USB, records up to 192/24 PCM and 2X DSD. Available on Amazon for $400.

I used one to record my LP collection. Audiogate is great for live recording but VinylStudio is better suited to ripping vinyl.

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/audio/ds_dac_10r/

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

. Unfortunately, the current USB standard, USB 2.0, is bandwidth limited and even two channels of 24-bit, 96 KHz digital audio is a stretch.

The standard for pro audio interfaces with USB 2.0 is pretty much 24/192. My Antelope Eclipse and their new Amari as well as others do 32/384. 

when I digitize my vinyl with Pure Vinyl software the Antelope does A to D at 24/192, sends it to the Mac Mini for processing, and the Mini sends it back to the Antelope DAC at 24/192  with a bit of latency that doesn't matter in this situation. Point is USB 2.0 can easily handle it

how did you come up with 24/96 is a stretch?

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

The standard for pro audio interfaces with USB 2.0 is pretty much 24/192. My Antelope Eclipse and their new Amari as well as others do 32/384. 

when I digitize my vinyl with Pure Vinyl software the Antelope does A to D at 24/192, sends it to the Mac Mini for processing, and the Mini sends it back to the Antelope DAC at 24/192  with a bit of latency that doesn't matter in this situation. Point is USB 2.0 can easily handle it

how did you come up with 24/96 is a stretch?

At the time of this writing I believe 24/96 was the limitation but it wasn't because of bandwidth. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...