IGNORED

MUSICIAN Pegasus R2R DAC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After couple of hundreds hours here is my assessment of Pegasus. My previous DAC Lite-83 (4x BB PCM1704)+ Singxer SU-1.

The driver installation on Win 10 PC was straight forward and everything worked flawlessly. 

Every aspect of music reproduction is bettered. Better resolution and stereo image/focus, speakers disappeared.  But not like day and night. The biggest difference is bass reproduction. Now the bass is cleaner, better defined with better dynamics.

Overall, I am happy with this replacement.

Except...

When I tried to install the driver on PC with Windows Server 2019, the problem starts with USB installation. In several attempts, the PC did not recognize the Pegasus. Even more the input button for USB lights only when I turn off the Pegasus - very strange!? Obviously driver is not suitable for Win Server 2019.

Any advise or help would be mostly welcomed!

Nik[br]Primare CD-31,Lite DAC-83,Gryphon Callisto 2100, Dynaudio C1, Acoustic Zen Matrix,Satori

25 minutes ago, Gladac said:

After couple of hundreds hours here is my assessment of Pegasus. My previous DAC Lite-83 (4x BB PCM1704)+ Singxer SU-1.

The driver installation on Win 10 PC was straight forward and everything worked flawlessly. 

Every aspect of music reproduction is bettered. Better resolution and stereo image/focus, speakers disappeared.  But not like day and night. The biggest difference is bass reproduction. Now the bass is cleaner, better defined with better dynamics.

Overall, I am happy with this replacement.

Except...

When I tried to install the driver on PC with Windows Server 2019, the problem starts with USB installation. In several attempts, the PC did not recognize the Pegasus. Even more the input button for USB lights only when I turn off the Pegasus - very strange!? Obviously driver is not suitable for Win Server 2019.

Any advise or help would be mostly welcomed!

I also want to confirm that after more than half a year, the DAC performes much better than it did at first. All problems with low frequencies are gone, the DACnow  is much more musical, the harshness has gone. And if at first I thought to sell it and change it for something else, now it is a valuable component of the system, which I don't want to change any more.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:00 PM, Gladac said:

Obviously driver is not suitable for Win Server 2019.

Sorry, my assumption WAS WRONG! The problem is not with the driver installation, but with the RDS customization of Windows Server 2019. Apologies to Musician! 

Nik[br]Primare CD-31,Lite DAC-83,Gryphon Callisto 2100, Dynaudio C1, Acoustic Zen Matrix,Satori

Yes, realy nos and have ASIO drivers (Win7x64 bit). Now i have this one pegasus..
The drivers work stably, but you can't use ASIO and WsAPI at the same time. Connected via USB using the Matrix element X USB card and chord c-line USB cable.

D81_8397_s.jpg

D81_8401_s.jpg

19 hours ago, RayWell said:

Connected via USB using the Matrix element X USB card and chord c-line USB cable.

Hello Ray,

Is it Matrix Element X or H (USB card)?

What PC and OS do you have if Matrix Element H? Can you describe SQ improvement with Matrix. I am considering the same card.

Sorry if I am going off topic a little bit.

I am using Matrix Element H PCie card and using a 1.5 amp LT3045 LPSU to inject externsl power.. On Windows Server 2019 Core (Samsung 970 NVME) and WinServer 2019 GUI on Intel Optane .. Both are on AudioOptimizer AO3..

SQ is far superior to internal USB output.. Power input and OS is critical to achieve good SQ.. 

on noisy Win10 Pro on even LTSC SQ is not good enough

I use the H on my older Z170 rig

I still prefer My other USB card Clones Audio SHAAR as the Element H was not handling DSD512 w/o stuttering on my main Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Ultra PC which the SHAAR had no issues

87860DB1-0B68-445A-820F-3CC2AAA0E63C.png

Very good and precise description. BTW Matrix support is questionable at best, they claim that Element H may not be compatible with Windows Server 2019!? It however support windows 8, despite the facts that this is an obsolete OS for 4-5 years. I will report later my findings on appropriate threads.

This Shaar USB card is probably hard to get in EU.  Any Idea?

I agree Windows Server 2019 GUI is superior to Windows 10, with AO 3.0 my Pegasus works like charm.

Sorry everybody for late response... 

Ok i hv seen that LT3045 Psu too but decided a USB Hub with ultra low distortion was next purchase! So thus is it.. 1st image below

Sorry Shaar is out of production .. 

Martix H wairks with WinServer 2019 Core and GUI .. no driver needed.. the factory driver download fike is incompatible! No matter ASIO Driver of your DAC goes straight thru the H card and is recognized by JRiver MC26 and Hqplayer

My problem with the H card us that insertion into the PCie slot is tricky.. The pcie bracket is misaligned and can prevent proper contact of the H card ! U hv to hear a soft click for correct insertion contact. The other point is 1Amp 12v DC is a bit on the low side for external power to the H . 1.5 amp is preferred!

Big difference using LT3045 power external input vs Mobo power thru the SATA connection.

Aliexpress is on Summer SALE! Pegasus on sale at 989USD! I am joining the R2R club👏👏👏

E303F57E-BEEF-4171-8FD5-4C8F225137FF.png