IGNORED

MUSICIAN Pegasus R2R DAC

5 hours ago, juanitox said:

a 1000$ Dac with no weight in the bass would be a no-go for me  , strange thing to use a dac to correct the response of a system ;

This review https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac-review/ praises the Pegasus' bass performance:

There is no other way in saying it that Pegasus simply excels in the bass area, starting with sub-bass and finishing with the upper-treble. It will impress a bass addict; it will slam hard and it will go the Mariana Trench levels of sub-bass if needed. Yes, I’ve felt the 20 to 25 Hz tones multiple times, I felt those shimmers and goose bumps with electronic music and in this regard, Pegasus is one of the few DACs that works incredibly well not only with instrumental/acoustic music, but with electronic music as well. Pegasus has an incredible acceleration and sustain, so bass notes are delivered fast and will stay awhile if the music is asking for it. Pegasus is a quite a big departure from all the Denafrips offerings that were good in here, but not exemplary. I feel that the powerful output stage and the wide bandwidth of the USB implementation said its last word in here.

Any owner experiences re bass?

audio system

On 7/7/2020 at 3:47 AM, Holzohr said:

The Pegasus won't replace my Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA). The plan is to use the Pegasus with HQPlayer via USB. Its I2S input works with my Matrix X-SPDIF 2 very well. Afaik they communicate via 'PS Audio mode'.

On 8/26/2020 at 4:00 AM, bodiebill said:

Anyone knows whether the Pegasus' I2S pin layout is configurable? Or if not, what the layout is? I need the PSAudio layout for my SDTrans384.

I am also very keen to read more reviews of this DAC.

I think if Denafrips has a problem, they can chose not to supply the parts so for me this is not a problem at all.

If some has one still but they don't want to review it then please sent it to me and I will happily do a review.

mike

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 1:47 AM, Holzohr said:

I received my Musician Pegasus today. My first R2R DAC. Indeed I was about to order a Pontus II but thanks to this thread I decided for the Pegasus. I like its form factor and of course the price point. The Pegasus won't replace my Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA). The plan is to use the Pegasus with HQPlayer via USB. Its I2S input works with my Matrix X-SPDIF 2 very well. Afaik they communicate via 'PS Audio mode'. The odd thing is (to me) the USB input gets deactivated when you chose another input so my HQPlayer 4 Desktop was complaining several times after a system boot that it can not find the DAC (the I2S input was active in this case).

There is still lots to play around and to listen. I am realizing the overdose of "Chi-Fi" in my gear. 🙂

IMG_20200706_183448.jpg

IMG_20200706_154526.jpg

I'm using the Pegasus with the xspdif2 but I'm having pops and crackling distortion via i2s. Musician Audio technician said I need a custom HDMI cable. !?!? Are you using a regular hdmi cable? Is your xspdif2 i2s setting set to def A or B? Thank you. 

have you tried to connect the dac directly to the pc by eliminating the audio interface? .... using the usb connection of course ....

check that the switch is in the right position....

Schermata 2020-10-14 alle 13.25.56.png

Schermata 2020-10-14 alle 13.24.27.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

8 hours ago, 80levan said:

I'm using the Pegasus with the xspdif2 but I'm having pops and crackling distortion via i2s. Musician Audio technician said I need a custom HDMI cable. !?!? Are you using a regular hdmi cable? Is your xspdif2 i2s setting set to def A or B? Thank you. 

My X-SPDIF 2 is set to def B. I didn't have any pops but I have sold my Pegasus several weeks ago.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

I had to set it to def B. Then was much less pop and cracking. But the channels are flipped. I couldn't tell if the phase is inverted in my test but there's a definite issue with 192/24 in particular of getting more pops and crackling in that resolution more than others.

I tried it on a jay audio CDT and the channels are flipped and the phase is inverted!!! Sigh.

I'm using AES through headphones and it's 'okay'. I enjoy the performance of the Hugo 2 via coaxial on the Jay way better. No contest.

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, Rexp said:

Sounds good here

This was an enjoyable three part video series on ATC speakers, passive, active and finally a nice comparison between the two.

Active version wins the day which doesn't surprise me. I have been using ATC actives with great satisfaction since 1998.
Feeding the system with a quality source is all one needs.

I am currently considering upgrading my DAC.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

10 hours ago, mevdinc said:

This was an enjoyable three part video series on ATC speakers, passive, active and finally a nice comparison between the two.

Active version wins the day which doesn't surprise me. I have been using ATC actives with great satisfaction since 1998.
Feeding the system with a quality source is all one needs.

I am currently considering upgrading my DAC.

Yes the DAC sounds very analogue, the question is, is it too smooth as some R2R DACs can be. 

Does anyone here use the Pegasus with any Apple Mac Computer by any chance? If so, could you connect the Pegasus and Mac with USB cable and see if the system volume (NOT ITUNES & AUDIONIRVANA, or any other audio players for Mac) changes the output level by pressing volume +/- on the keyboard. Please note what version of MAC OS you use, and what happens when you lower the volume all the way down (if it mutes the output completely). I have been able to regulate the volume with my Macbook sysem volume with most of dacs I ve owned (SMSL D1, Topping 7DX, Goldmund), but NOT with some brands firmware like IFI, KIng REX, etc. Wonder if I have a conflict somewhere... Appreciate it greatly!

• 3 weeks later...