IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

On 8/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, Exocer said:

It is the adjust version with all square wave 75ohm outputs. I'm using it with Ghent Audio's BNC cable which uses Canare 75ohm connectors but with Belden 1694A:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e07.html

The Belden 1694A seems to be a very good choice. Blue jeans prefer it. I notice it also have dual shielding, but done differently than Canare LV 77S.

@MartinT Would be interesting if you could test the Belden version 😀

I’ve emailed Ghent about if a JSSG360 version is doable.

This would require dual shield with isolation between as I don’t think cable shield should be part of JSSG360 in a coax. 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:14 PM, Exocer said:

I have ordered this one as well : http://shop.geistnote.com/gnEAMLWC.asp#gsc.tab=0

Will report back any improvements/differences if I notice any.

Here is some inspiration as well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Video-Belden-Neutrik-NBNC75TU11X-Orange/dp/B07BZSXV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529410778&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=12G-SDI%2B75ohm&th=1

This tread have been interesting. Thanks to everyone and especially @MartinT  

I was total against external clocking. But for $92 and free shipping https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001245799329.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.358ed1dcNlVLxb I just have to try. 

I will get the FE180 clock. Not the DAPO. Hope is as good as DAPO. 

I will either power it with a series of two LPS 1 or a Gophert PS.

I think I probably use a 30 cm Belden Cable. Either 4694R or the older 1694A. However I’m considering JSSG360 to be applied. Looking forward to feedback from others. 

I wonder why not all digital interfaces could be fiber ? No more shielding, impedance and ground loop/noise discussions.

There should be some new standards covering this. HMDI / USB / SPDIF / AES/EBU...

On 8/28/2020 at 9:31 AM, MartinT said:

Now they do look worth a try.

Belden 4694R with silvered solid copper core and foil/braid shield.

Would be interesting to compare with the Canare 77S.

Ghent says he can supply it at $60 with JSSG360. 
Which may be a bit pricey, since it can be bought without extra shielding at £17 plus freight.

He won’t list it unless it’s a demand, so people will have to email him.

I’m not sure how much extra shielding will do on a coax, but it can’t do any harm. 

Looking forward to your findings with that cable @Exocer

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, FIndingit said:

This is a picture of the 50 ohm board. The output pin of the clock module is on the right and goes to c32. If someone could take a picture of the 75 ohm board now, because we only have a word from an alibaba seller. 

69358B51-91AB-40C5-81EA-F669B2E2B2A8.jpeg

I received mine yesterday. And no doubt it’s different from the 50ohm board.

(Edit: Maybe not... I notice only a small wire added). 

I haven’t decided how to power it up yet, as I should have two LPS-1 with a special Ghent cable to make 12 VDC in series, but I can’t find one of them. 

I will probably use either my LPS 1.2 that’s now powering my EtherRegen or a Gophert CPS-3205 ll supply. (Or visa versa). My Paul Hynes SR4T should stay powering the opticalRendu. 

However maybe I should take the other LPS 1.2 that’s powering my Singxer SU-1 (at 5V) and have the LPS-1 take over. 

The clock was also delivered with a small SMPS 12V 1A. 

What’s your advice ?

AED13E14-83E8-429D-A5E6-9675E6154A7D.jpeg

94DFBA3A-A778-4419-923C-26C1C5E07C78.jpeg

A82525A8-80C3-40EE-AD4E-4293FC1896CB.jpeg

E6929345-2A10-47A9-9B3C-A5BC71740C7F.jpeg

So the clock has ben up for more than 48 hours. Power is dual LPS 1 in series with spesial made Y-cable from Ghent Audio. 12V. 

Now time to experiment with cables. Present only using an no-name 50cm 75ohm cable. 
Like to order 50 cm of the Belden 4694R. 

Don’t ask me if or how much the sound has improved. But it’s for sure not degraded.

This is after all a $100 experiment 😀

28 minutes ago, Exocer said:

For the sake of my understanding, are you saying that the use of LPS 1 or LPS 1.2 for the clock or ER vs an SMPS would not make for an audible difference? 

As you probably know both Uptone ultra caps powers is supplied with SMPS. 
So I’m not saying that at all 😀

28 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Or were you comparing the LPS 1 to LPS 1.2 when power the ER or Clock?

Yes. So I’m saying there shouldn’t be any difference those two power supplies when it come to be used in that application. Especially the clock. But I won’t test this. One reason is the clock shouldn’t ever be switched off once powered up. (JohnS made a comment on that recently).

I had two LPS 1.2 not in use. As well as the necessary serial cable to obtain 12V. So I could put them back in service. 

I think purchasing a Paul Hynes SR4T or a Uptone LPS 1.2 (plus maybe a Ghent DC cable) just for a $92 clock is an overkill.
(Unless that clock really is so fantastic. And we know the difference already).  

13 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

Anyone knows where to source a 12.5V power supply?

A Gophert Power Supply is the cheapest way to obtain that. They are quite good. You need banana to 2,1 cable. (Ghent has). 

Dual LPS 1 or 1.2 set to 14V, or any PS you preferring  ordered or set to a higher voltage equal or bigger than 14V. 
Then add Alexey’s LT3045 modules, specified to something between 12,5 to 12,9V

16 hours ago, RickyV said:

The wires red circled on @R1200CLare a little longer to the next pin.

Did you purchase from same seller ?

I notice we have same board revision. 

15 hours ago, RickyV said:

I noticed is that my clock uses the LT1764

Where do you see that one ?

Is it this one:

360FEE34-603F-48EA-A213-B89047057113.jpeg

I’m also wondering why no heatsinks .
That regulator has been discussed here 5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

I have measured the output voltage of the internal LT1764, LT1963 regulator and its 11V.

That’s nice to know. (Rember there’s an A after 1963😀)

So the clock itself requires 11 V then. Did you find any data sheets for clock saying anything about voltage requirements?

I wonder if we’re able to convince the Chinese to exchange that present regulator in use to LT3045. 
I think he’s reading this tread, but a bit reluctant to participate in any discussion. 

However there may be other changes that could be done. So maybe if we’re patient John maybe give some suggestions.