IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

2 hours ago, ambre said:

That is why not only me but also many others are eagerly awaiting John's papers. As a guideline for purchasing the correct Master Clock for our Switch, Re-clocker or DAC.

Just chiming in to say ditto. Checking every day to see if said paper is out yet, for per John's advice, I'm not spending a nickle on any clock related product until I see that. Could not be more eager to read it, when it arrives. Clearly they have a lot on their respective plates right now. :-(

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

IMO this is a conversation better suited for the temple of measurement worship: Audio Science Review. In this forum making decisions based on what you hear generally has merit, and comments like “if you can’t measure it, it’s not real” is just trolling at worst, but off topic at best.

So, can we get back on topic please? Thanks.

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

OK, I’m going to weigh in on this, but not with objective measurements. All I have is subjective listening observations. Though my observations were confirmed in a series of single blind tests with a true golden eared buddy of mine.

You mention Ed Meitner. Not long ago I bought one of his MA-3 DACs. Wonderful DAC, but that’s beside the point. My first impression of his jitter reducing technology was that it was SO good at it that my EtherREGEN and its external clock were no longer needed. But after my ears acclimated to the vastly improved sound - vs. my old Mytek Brooklyn Bridge - I realized that the ER still helped. But now, only a little. Clearly the MA-3 was shouldering a lot of jitter reduction. That became easy to hear, and I was not concerned with substantiation of that observation. But the external clock was another matter.

Long story short, using my old Brooklyn Bridge DAC, use of the external clock with the ER was night and day. It helped a LOT. But with the Meitner MA-3 it only matters with the very best of material (high res AND well recorded/mastered), and even then, the difference is subtle. So I’m not even bothering with my external clock any more. Need to sell it.

As previously mentioned, that conclusion of the value - or lack thereof - of the external clock was subtle enough that I set up single blind tests for my golden ear buddy, who came to the same conclusion.

Don’t know if that helps. It is subjective. But I am 100% certain of its veracity.

• 3 months later...