IGNORED

How the Cognitive Biases of Researchers Affect Research Results

Jud

21 minutes ago, Jud said:

I have seen a paper showing measured electrical conductivity differences, after cryo vs. before. I briefly mentioned it here - this was years ago, and I've long since forgotten the citation.

@alfe provided a reference.

Someone could measure the noise from an amp fed by different cables to see what actual effect is present.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

@alfe provided a reference.

Someone could measure the noise from an amp fed by different cables to see what actual effect is present.

I keep thinking it would be a nice idea to do this with the complex topologies we tend to have in our home systems, with lots of boxen and lots of wires, to try to capture interactions in such complex networks. Or to extend circuit simulation software to an entire audio system, but then what would be the important electrical values to enter for each component/connection?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

I keep thinking it would be a nice idea to do this with the complex topologies we tend to have in our home systems, with lots of boxen and lots of wires, to try to capture interactions in such complex networks.

Doable

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

Or to extend circuit simulation software to an entire audio system, but then what would be the important electrical values to enter for each component/connection?

Not practically doable. 

a) you don’t know the detailed circuits for your components

b) commonly available SPICE doesn’t typically take into account resistor noise/nonlinearities 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:45 AM, Jud said:

What we'd ideally like to do in getting at the objective truth about audio is to be able to find relevant scientific research. This presentation gives us some of the reasons our job isn't done then. We have to be cautious, even skeptical, in evaluating what we find, perhaps most especially if it agrees with the ideas we already have.

It gets at some of the reasons behind what has been called the "reproducibility crisis" (subsequent researchers being unable to reproduce results), some that should be evident, some a little more esoteric. And it reminds us about confirmation bias, which affects not only researchers, but we who "consume" research.

Interesting video, @Jud.

Thanks, and a nice reminder of the issues we're seeing in much of science these days. I liked the 1st question brought up actually and I think that "cynical" question that she wanted to move on from holds much truth in how academia is run these days. "P-hacking" is the natural consequence of the way science is done these days with attention naturally paid to what is considered "significant", the competition inherent in science, and basically the natural inclination of people to gain attention and obtain the grants they need to fund the enterprise for the next year.

This is the psychology I see all the time at universities. To change this I think requires a significant rethinking of how science is rewarded and incentives provided especially these days when tenured tracks are becoming less available. What she said about limiting the number of papers any academic can produce per year is a good start!

As for audio... Hmmm... As far as I can tell, the companies that sell questionable products are actually not engaging in science to begin with. Since when did a cable company produce any data that their "cryo'ed" cable made a significance to noise or any other relevant characteristic of sound reproduction? Where's the Nordost papers or AudioQuest data with p-values? All it is is a bunch of words on a (virtual) page insinuating that such products they sell make a difference...

IMO, consumers should simply stop buying into stuff like this until some research is done and results presented if the consumer cares that there's scientific value in such things (eg. cryo)... Then we can talk about about whether it's "reproducible"!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.