IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

1 minute ago, plissken said:

"Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved."
- Mike Moffat, 2017

Clearly, they realised their business mistake in declaring anything done. The road to fortune is paved with upgrades.

On the flip side, there's nothing wrong with admitting that the "solved" statement was premature and making something even better.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Miska said:

For correct isolation, clocks should be at the DAC side, not at the interface side (I2S over HDMI/LVDS screws this up completely). So clocks flow to the opposite direction...

Yes, obviously. That alone doesn't mean anything for the choice of isolation technique.

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

Transformers are good for high frequency constant signal like master clock. But perform poorly for low frequency things like word clock on I2S. While isolation IC's tend to be slow, so not necessarily good for things like master clock, but good for word clock for example (esp. optical ones). So I suspect they chose transformers for higher frequency time-invariant signals and isolation IC's for varying low frequency signals.

The IC used here is good up to 150 Mbps. Judging by the placement of the parts, you're probably right about a transformer being used for the clocks.