IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Ok, whilst waiting for the LGA1700 mount, I thought I'd try the Taiko ATX I purchased in my 8086k rig in direct replacement of the HDPlex 800w DC-DC.

But it will not boot...

I connect everything the same, but using fis Audio ATX/EPS cables internally now.  Taiko ATX is being fed from the same Nenon V3, using the same power cable that fed the HDPlex (6-pin power input into both DC converts is the same configuration, so power supply is not the issue). 

When powered, the motherboard lights up but does not boot, but no leds lit on the Taiko ATX.  Turn off the Nenon v3 at the wall and then the motherboard has two red lights, and the motherboard quickly cycles through some boot codes before, one of the red lights goes off, and then eventually the other red led goes off once power from the caps in the V3 are exhausted.

Everything is put together correctly, I did try removing one of the EPS cables (rather than having two attached), but no difference.

Any ideas?

43 minutes ago, Nenon said:

@Gavin1977 @rico25 - what CPU are you using and what is the output voltage of the ULPS? 

Yeah just checked - 33v out unloaded, v3 power supply seems to be working fine.

CPU is 8086k.  Next step is to start removing connections, or take back just to MB and build back up from there.  I’ve built a few PCs in my time, but this behaviour is odd.  Anyway error is now consistently A2, so should be possible to overcome.

No idea why this single component swap has caused such issue - everything else remains unchanged…

28 minutes ago, Dev said:

well, I also have the same issue. I found that when the ulps powered on from cold, the motherboard doesn't start although the motherboard is receiving the power. Give it couple of mins and it boots fine. Alternately, if you don't want to wait, one could short the ps_on jumper on the Taiko and the motherboard will start right away. Since I run the sever 24x7, I haven't been able to convince myself its a concern but when I am out for couple of days, I would typically shut down everything and that is where I would be experiencing it. Anyway, glad to know that the issue is with others as well. In one conversation with @SoulAnalogue, he seemed to think it could be related to high freq impedance and suggested me to add 0.1uf bypass but I already had it and it didn't solve the issue. It appears to me that its possibly some kind of handshake between the mobo and Taiko that might be causing it. It would be helpful if @JayM Taiko  can comment on it.

Surprising this trait of the Taiko ATX hasn’t come up before… I’ve tried everything and still have A2 bios error, so I’ll have to start pulling cards now.  You’d think that a switch of DC-DC converters would be a simple thing…

A2 Is IDE detect error - but no IDE devices are attached.

“IDE detect is a generic message that usually has to do with a failed internal motherboard connection. Either: 

1. A SATA cable connecting your Hard Drive is faulty or loose. 

2. PSU is not giving enough power for your SATA controller or Hard Drive. 

3. Some other internal cable (USB headers, Audio Header, PSU connectors) is loose or faulty. 

4. Not Likely Your GPU is not working correctly, the PCIe slot is broken, or a video connector is faulty.”

Can’t be 1 or 2 because I’ve checked that.
I don’t get the bios screen at all, just A2 error on the motherboard LED.  I’ll pull all the cards on Friday and see what that does and then reseat them 1 by 1.  Who knows might be an untimely GPU failure.

41 minutes ago, Mr Morris said:

Are all the voltages correct? I had a boot prob like this. When I had a randomly successful boot, I checked the voltages in the bios and 3.3 was too low. Upped it all sorted easier with  LPSU,  but that might be the prob m. Good luck

I’ll definitely check once I get into bios (hopefully).

I think almost guaranteed that it’s the VGA card - I have noticed that I have white LED lit alongside the A2 bios code being displayed.  So hopefully I now have a positive diagnosis.

E7EA6A4F-4E9A-433A-905A-B515E184786C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dev said:

do not think there is any intended delay in design of Taiko. As I said previously, once the Taiko/ulps warms up, you can reboot the server as many times and it just works every time right away.

That’s is the functionality I have - once you have first boot, so long as you leave Nenon v3 powered then you can immediately cycle on/off as much as you please.

Hi @Nenon - that is very timely feedback. 

So I'm using the HDPlex 800w DC-DC, with the same original silver cables, for troubleshooting, since this worked with the Nenon V3 and these components perfectly fine for the past year (my problems started and have remained since the Taiko ATX was inserted into my system).

Components in use: Asus Z390 Apex, 8086k, Apacer ram, Optane H10.

Step 1: Change GPU

Since bios indicated A2 and white light (GPU fault).  I thought this would cure my issue.  So I just tried a different GPU... Sapphire Radeon HD6450 1GB GDDR3 Low profile (<30w).  Cheap as chips off eBay and it's the one Pink Faun use in their server... its a good choice and much easier to work with.  Anyway...  I insert this and A2 bios error persists - but now with green LED light (SATA) rather than white (GPU). 

Step 2: HD6450 + switch out SSD

So I switch out the m2 SSD... Optane H10 for a H20 I have.  A2 error remains. green LED light.

Step 3: HD6450, plus new Optane H20 AND switch to powering HDPlex DC-DC using the HDPlex SMPS I used to use.

A2 error remains. green LED light.  CMOS reset doesn't help.  Switching to alternative bios doesn't help.  Now if I'd fried the choke by pulling too much current then you'd have thought that switching to an SMPS would have fixed it.

This build always ran pretty cool, so I can't believe it'd be motherboard VRM related (failed cap for example)...

I've built many PCs in my time, but this one has me stumped.  No logical reason why the issue occured in the first place, or why is persists.

I can understand your logic on power supply, I do have the Taiko Rectifier and cap ready to be installed, and was planning to upgrade the Hammond... but obviously can't progress with that currently.

Next step remove DC-DC and try with regular 500w ATX power supply (which I'd have to buy, as I sold my Corsair SFX a long time ago)...?

Could a failed/saturated choke cause excessive ripple to enter DC-DC converter and cause damage to both DC-DC converter and motherboard...

Hi All - agreed with @MarcelNLto help arrange the group buy.

Please hold off posting more expressions of interest on this forum as there will be a formal Google form for you to register your details on shortly.

Also, anyone interested in active rectifier (with mosfets) as a part of this group but as well?  Will be of similar standard as the Taiko rectifier, but through hole.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...