IGNORED

Perception and measurement

Daccord

21 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

Doing a discrimination test is effectively saying: "I don't believe you. Prove it." I could ask him to just do it as a favor, but I'm sure he wouldn't. It would be much easier to discuss whether he really always prefers silver, and then discuss/set up a preference test that would have enough trials to statistically answer whether there really was discrimination.

All audio manufacturers should run these types of experiments. They should send out a number of placebo devices and a number of real ones to determine how much of the effect is due to other factors than the claimed differences in sound. ;)

24 minutes ago, emcdade said:

It’s not and to ask that question shows you’re missing the point.

If you have two people and one guy believes that there could be no difference and the other believes there could be, you ask the guy who believes there is a difference to prove it by performing the test.  That’s all I’m saying. His motivation would be unquestioned.

No, I got that. I've given up long ago on asking others to prove something to me. All I want to know is if you tried to prove it to yourself.