IGNORED

Lee Scoggins Now President and EVP at NextScreen

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

So here is a thought.  Mr Scoggins now holds a very interesting position within the audio industry.  Some might be aware that he is currently banned from this forum.  OK - He broke the rules, he got banned.  That said, even arch criminals and murderers sometimes get parole after time served.

Personally, I think it might be interesting if he was back and contributing on the forum.  Not my decision of course, and he would need to obey the rules.  Otherwise this thread will just be an insult Lee thread.  Some might think he deserves it, but maybe he deserves a voice, and maybe his voice might be of interest now that he holds an influential position within the audio press?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Allan F said:

In Julian Hirsch's case, rather than 'not mincing words", I would call it either poor hearing or expectation bias. I don't recall the latter term being used in those days.

I cannot ever recall the term "expectation bias" being used in a mainstream hifi publication. Maybe someone somewhere has written it, but for sure it is not commonly used outside of audio forums.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Have a friend conduct this test for you and tell us whether you’re the exception to many test subjects over decades of research: http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/psychology/pages.php?i=209

After all, if you can discern subtle differences between audio systems over hours or days, then remembering what note was played after a few seconds have passed is child’s play, right?

I think the key word here is "subtle". With subtle differences, yes, it is very difficult, or impossible, to accurately remember and discern differences.

With large, non subtle, differences, different factors are in play. For example, if you hear a system with massively overblown bass, maybe clearly resonating with the room at certain frequencies, this is something that you can easily remember, and recognise if you hear again. The same with say a massively overbright system, and many other things. I am sure that blind and with a time interlude I could reliably tell the difference between a track played on my iPhone speakers and my main system.

The above is probably stating the obvious, but I guess the problem with audiophilia is that much of it does indeed focus on the subtle.