IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

13 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Maybe someday I'll have enough money to buy some REALLY, REALLY good test equipment to measure this level of thing, but that is highly unlikely.

And to be clear, John is NOT referring to things like the Audio Precision boxes so beloved by our vocal, skeptical (and recently downright nasty) critics. An AP rig is fine for many things in the analog domain, but not for the sort of work and research John is referring to.

The equipment he is talking about is in the 6 figure range, not the 5 figure range...:o

5 minutes ago, J.J said:

I am an audio enthusiast living in Korea.

Hi: I did just now receive your e-mail and replied plus sent you the new firmware directly.

My apologies to everyone with regards to delay in getting the new firmware posted to our web site for full public release.  We are tracking an inbound snowstorm and trying to get out some important FedEx packages to dealers and users (not EtherREGEN) today.  Once we get that done I'll focus this afternoon on the blog post, web links, and notifications about the new firmware. Until then I am not going to avoid replying to any direct e-mails (our e-mail box is what derails me most days O.o).

Thanks,

--Alex C.

2 hours ago, thotdoc said:

Setup: Mac running Roon app (managing Tidal and Qobuz) over wifi sends data to ATT modem, data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER, A side in and B side optical cable out to OR. 

In addition to John’s suggestion of eliminating the Cisco switch, I suggest that you adjust to have only one Ethernet connection to your SonicTransporter. Your description makes it seem that you have two connections to the ST. Not sure why you would. The whole “bridging” trick is not necessary in an “EtherREGEN world.” B|

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

For the totalDAC server / streamer users

I had issues with my ER before and aftervthe update. Serious issues.

Just to be clear, Chris has multiple older switches in his chain ahead of the EtherREGEN. With a more simplified set up he likely would be able to run the EtherREGEN in either direction.

26 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

There is only one ethernet connection to the ER.

But how many actual Ethernet connections do you have to your SonicTransporter? That is where you description had me confused, making it sound like you are feeding the EtherREGEN just from your SonicTransporter.  You wrote:

"...data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER..."

I think you should try running this way:

--One cable from ATT modem to EtherREGEN 'B' side RJ45;

--One cable from ATT modem to SonicTransporter;

--Optical SFP module in 'A' side of EtherREGEN to your opticalRendu

FYI:

For those who wish to discuss sonic attributes about our recent firmware update (for just the first 250 units--all shipped in November), I started a new thread, moving over about 36 posts from this one and 75 posts from the Listening Impressions thread.  Here is the new thread--where most people are very happy with the update, and a few are welcome to voice their dissent:

6 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

By any chance would the clock switch setting be a possible culprit?

I would have asked him except that he said the ‘A’ side works.

When one gets the position of the Int/Ext Clock switch wrong, neither side works at all! That’s why I emphasized that in both the Quick Start and User Guides. I think doing so worked because we’ve had no support requests where that came up. It’s aided by the fact  that our clients are pretty sharp. B|

34 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

By now I'm starting to think it might be a temperature issue..., The ER is in a closed cabinet ( I know it shouldn't but that's where it is and must be,no other option).

Hi:

While I am not sure of the cause of the problem you are experiencing, I can say with certainty that it is NOT a temperature issue. We torture-tested EtherREGEN units for quite some time at very high heats.

I'd like to know a little more about your Audionet DNP and what Ethernet input card it uses (their own design or perhaps licensed from Conversdigital or the Swiss company that used to be known as ABCpcb).

Can you do a test with everything on the 'A' side jacks of the EtherREGEN? Do you still have connection issues then? And are you certain that the new firmware flashed correctly (virtual drive disappearing upon copy is the only confirmation)?

Please keep us posted. Thanks.

--Alex C.

43 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

The 1.2 supplying the ER is running hot...to hot to hold, set at 7. Is this norma?l

I'm surprised you can even get the 1.1A LPS-1.2 to run an EtherREGEN at 7V.  I can't here.

At 7V the EtherREGEN will draw nearly 1.3A.  Please set your LPS-1.2 to 12V. At that voltage the EtherREGEN will be drawing a little less than 0.8A and you UltraCap supply will be much happier--and a bit cooler, though still warm/hot.

5 hours ago, pl_svn said:

question: will I need to ground the etherRegen? 😐

Hi Paolo:

The decision about use of the EtherREGEN’s Ground screw is based on your ‘A’ side connections—not what is on ‘B’ side.

Grounding of the ‘A’ side, either through use of the stock supplied SMPS—which is internally ground-shunted and works as long as your mains connection has ground—or via the Ground screw if using a “floated” output LPS (UltraCap or some other brand), is only to reduce port-to-port leakage among the 4 ‘A’-side RJ45 jacks.

Virtually no leakage current can pass over the moat (to ‘B’ side), so if you have only one connection to ‘A’ side RJ45s then grounding should not matter at all.

Please refer to the EtherREGEN’s User Guide for more details on this subject.

19 minutes ago, jacques_racine said:

To use a JS-2 to power, the ER, do we need a power cable with 2.1mm barrel plug on one end and a 2.5mm barrel plug on the other? 

The JS-2 has 2.5mm outputs, the ER 2.1mm inputs.

While the EtherREGEN's DC jack has a pin with nominal 2.1mm diameter--and the exact same jack is used in UltraCap, USB/ISO REGENs, and Sonore Rendu units--the jack's outer barrel contact spring is only on one side.  So when you insert a plug, it pushes it slightly off center. This assures that contact between the center pin of the jack and the inner diameter of the plug is made--even if the plug has a 2.5mm hole. Thus either size can be used.

2 hours ago, alsterfan said:

1. I want to attach Mm 1 & 2 via Lan cables to the A-side, and another LAN cable would be used to connect ER´s B-side to the Larosita Streamer/DAC with its RJ45 input (Larosita creates its own network).

Concerning this configuration would the Thunderbolt cable still be necessary?

Hi Uwe: 

You have the basic idea right (connect the 'B' side port to whatever is the DAC-attached/DAC-integrated endpoint). But you can also experiment.

I am a little skeptical of your statement that the "Larosita creates its own network." That would mean that it acts as its own DHCP router, assigning IP addresses to other computers on the network. From what I read on their web page that is not the case.  So I think you will need to run some cable from upstream on your home network (from other modem/router/switch) to one of the 'A'-side ports of the EtherREGEN.

2 hours ago, alsterfan said:

2. Perhaps another possibility (not my first choice) would be to only connect Mm 2 with ER´s A-side.

I am not sure of where your computers are receiving their network IP addresses from prior to EtherREGEN, so I can't really advise you on this.  Yet I am sure you will discover what work and what does not. :D  

Have fun!

P.S. I saw that Martin at Audiostore received his 37Kg(!) of EtherREGENs today, so it won't be long before he gets your and other's orders shipped out.

5 minutes ago, octaviars said:

@Superdad I will give you a second chance to answer this as it might got missed in the other thread :)

Hi Fredrik:

If I have the right Fredrik (last name starts with letter 'A' correct?) then I see you have purchased at least 5 products from us over more than 5 years, including a JS-2.

So can you tell me why the matter of CE marking has become so important to you just now?

We are fully aware of the standards, directives, and costs.  The AC>DC adapters we ship with our products carry full multi-country certification (I have all the certificates from our OEM suppliers).  For the actual EtherREGEN itself we may self-certify and prepare a Declaration of Conformity, but doing so is not currently a top priority for my small firm. The actual radiated emissions (EMC) from the EtherREGEN is very low. A well-known testing facility happens to have an office (its founding location since we are in the EM-quiet mountains) just up the road from me (https://www.ckc.com/location/mariposa-ca/). I used them in the past. I might give them a call again.

37 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

The Streamer/DAC I use is La Rosita Pi. This DAC has an Airport Express integrated. By means of the AirPort program I can create an own network (2.4 or 5GHz). So La Rosita Pi is independent of the main router, but not capable of using the internet (something I don´t need as I am not using Qobuz etc.).

That being said I hope you don´t say that the main router (capable of using the internet) necessarily has to be attached to ER´s A-side, as it is located 15mtrs away in a different room.

Oh yes, forgot that you are still using their early Pi unit with original Airport Express as DAC.  As long as that Airport Express can serve as DHCP server for IP addresses to you Mac minis--as I assume it does now in your pre-EtherREGEN setup--then you should be fine.

32 minutes ago, spotforscott said:

Hi Guys, I just got ER tonight. For some reason, it is not working with my roon endpoint from the B side, only the A side. Any thiughts on the issue?

Hi:

Happy to assist!

Please tell us about your set up. What do you have on the 'B' side and what all do you have on the 'A' side and where does that lead?

What LEDs are lit on each side?  And do you have the INT/EXT CLOCK switch in the INT position?  It needs to be in the correct position BEFORE you apply power to the EtherREGEN.

4 hours ago, octaviars said:

The etherREGEN is the first thing I have purchased from Uptone so you got the wrong guy.

Sorry about that. Seems there are two Fredrik's in Sweden with last name starting with 'A' who have recently bought EtherREGENs.

So you can as a manufacturer outside of EU just ignore the aproval and sell it anyway?

Well it is a little complicated. Selling direct from USA to users actually puts the onus somewhat on the buyer, though the laws are becoming stricter about even sliding through that way. For our dealers it is little trickier. I have been upfront with them that only the power adapter has full certification. So I suppose they do take a risk. 

Don't get this wrong I just want to know how this stuff works :)

You might be surprised at how many companies fraudulently apply CE stickers to their gear. There are a lot of Chinese linear power supplies that I would not feel safe plugging into my wall and leaving unattended. We know our products are safe and conform to safety standards. If someone really wants to come after us and halt our exports to Europe I suppose they could.

If you would like to discuss the matter further then please send me a PM.  And you know that if you are in anyway dissatisfied with your EtherREGEN you can return it to us for full refund. :)