IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The operative phrase here is "easier to hear upstream enhancements downstream". 

If it’s easier to hear upstream changes (with either a bad or good effect on SQ) it can’t be true that the etherREGEN will make upstream stuff matter less. But I’m not a native English speaker so do correct me if I misunderstood. :)

(of course all the usual caveats apply here like subjective experience, system dependant, ... etc.)

51 minutes ago, EVOLVIST said:

Perhaps I'm receiving a stronger signal with the ER in? Would that sound right?

The ‘music’ itself encoded in the ethernet stream is 100% identical (bit perfect, the etherREGEN is not a DSP or otherwise manipulating the data) and with the same Roon settings will have shown digital clipping before and after you using the etherREGEN. I would eat both of my shoes if it wasn’t and make Alex and John do the same! :)

What could be happening is you listening with more focus, now noticing the clipping and/or the EtherREGEN giving you ‘a clearer window to look through’. 

10 hours ago, Ehsu said:

Well, I am running my own 12V Linear PSU. So I guess it is the reason? Is this true though that higher voltage will cause it to run hotter than lower voltage PSU? I mean, is it safe to be this hot? Or will this cause reliability issues later down the track?

It is normal. From the manual:

“During use, it is normal for the case of the EtherREGEN to become somewhat hot. 48~52C (118~126F), depending on room air temperature is to be expected. Do not be concerned about the heat. Even when hot, all parts are operating at less than half their thermal ratings. The case is the heat-sink. Please locate the EtherREGEN on a shelf where air can flow under and around it. If the heat of the case bothers you, standing it on edge will permit more airflow and will lower the case temperature by a few degrees. Do not stack other devices under or on top of the EtherREGEN.”

Also the supplied voltage does not matter much regarding heat. John wrote this recently because of the regulators used.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, simon_pepper said:

But with Devialet Roon Ready support now available why not go ‘B’ port into the 250 unit, and skip the conversion to USB and the NUC based endpoint (which is not going to be electrically the cleanest endpoint).

Yes, on the devialetchat forum I wrote that I owe it to myself to test this one day and  back then even made a topology update to show how this would hugely simplify my system (for giggles I’ve attached it here as well). However since my Devialet came back with the CI module a year ago I have not ever used the USB and ethernet inputs, so these are still brand new. 

Pre CI module release I preferred USB over ethernet (when using a tweaked, both hardware as software wise, PC) and later AES/EBU out of the Mutec MC3+ USB over ethernet. I’ve been too lazy to re-test and RAAT stability issues reported by others and Devialet not caring much or at all did not motivate me either.

And yes, I really ‘needed’ the TX-USB Ultra connected to the NUC to clean things up, yet it did sound better than my previous single machine setup.

CC8DBAA4-3529-419A-AB13-8CEA44B15A30.jpeg