IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

5 minutes ago, FredM said:

That’s very interesting! To understand you correctly, please elaborate on your finding:

a) is the EtherREGEN better than the JCAT Net? (A vs B comparison) or..

b) does the EtherREGEN make the JCAT Net redundant (no benefit from JCAT Net with the ER in the chain)

c) ..?

Case (b) would be a stunning result/achievement!

Fred, I'm reluctant to say one is better (and I've never enjoyed spending a lot of time doing A/B comparisons).  I can say that I am and will continue to use both, and that as of today, I only need one of the ports on the JCAT card.

15 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Fred, I'm reluctant to say one is better (and I've never enjoyed spending a lot of time doing A/B comparisons).  I can say that I am and will continue to use both, and that as of today, I only need one of the ports on the JCAT card.

I wanted to add to my response to Fred another thought, that if the industry assimilates the JS moat concept, perhaps the two could combine into a REGEN card.  But right now, you can use both.  That said, the post below may imply you can jettison the JCAT and use a plain motherboard port.

39 minutes ago, Crom said:

@Darryl R have you tried leaving the cat card in place and adding the ER between your bridge and dac? I’d be interested to hear results and if improving the Ethernet signal using the jCat made any difference/improvement at all. 

That was a combination that was on my mind to try, but I haven't yet.  I supposed I rationalized the difference would be so small, that of going into an 'A' port with only two other 'A' inputs (my LAN, and my NAS in the SFP cage) versus none at all, and the ER spec stating 'A' side isolation is likely better than any other switch on the market.  I also liked the idea of removing the bridge so as not to have two layer 2 "devices" in such close proximity, for what that's worth.

EDIT:  And now that I think of it, I'd need to keep my old switch as well.  Further, JS responded to some questions of mine, one of which I posted above, and he pointed out some misconceptions I had.  Namely, that leakage and clock phase noise are the issues, and ER is cleaning those up just before the renderer.  So in my setup, ER was an ideal choice.