IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

5 hours ago, mansr said:

Lab equipment manuals often state that calibration is valid only after a 15-minute warm-up.

While that is interesting (and true), we aren’t measuring, we’re listening. Two different things. The level of accuracy required to measure something requires a perfectly stable circuit. Not sure if that level of stabilization is audible, but I suspect not.

George

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

From what I understand, Benjamin D'Over recommends breaking in their USB cable for five years.

I hope you’re being facetious. The idea of “breaking-in” a cable is simply ludicrous in my opinion. It’s just WIRE for crissake! Maybe there’s a difference between different USB cables, and maybe there isn’t (I wouldn’t know, I only use USB audio for my desktop system, not in my main system). I’ve never heard any difference between any USB cable I have, and I’ve got them from AudioQuest, Kimber, Nordost, and a dozen generic ones from everywhere! They all sound worse than Optical or Coax SPDIF or balanced AES/EBU to me.

George

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

George, I started with a high a high end CDP, and high end amplifier, and bottom of the range bookshelfs - and got magic sound. Then went out and listened a huge range of gear, many using very expensive speakers - and they all sounded rather pooey. In fact, the more expensive the speakers were, quite often the pooier they sounded  ... now, I have tickets on myself that I'm a kinda logical sort of guy; so I could easily have said, the more expensive the speakers, the worst the sound - but i went a step further, and thought, maybe the expensiveness just is more revealing of the lacking of the chain driving them ... and strangely enough, that concept has worked ever since ... 😊.

Speakers are used an excuse for sub-par sound, without hesitation in most circles - it takes a bit of experimenting to work it out, but it it turns out very ordinary drivers have no trouble revealing problems earlier in the chain - so the latter is sorted out first.

Frank;

You are wrong. Certainly not every speaker(regardless of price) is going to suit everybody, and, again, no speaker is perfect, But in my experience speakers like the Radialshtaller 101 sound better than the Rogers LS3/5a, Soundlab’s flagship sounds more like real music than does any Polk speaker I’ve heard, and Manepans sound better than their cone-based  contemporaries - to me!

George

58 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And I see, and hear the 'foolishness' of people chasing better sound by ignoring the basics, and fantasising how some piece of kit even more dressed up than the one they currently own, will "magically" bring them The Promised Land ... 😉.

Well, that’s an extreme viewpoint. One starts with good equipment (and that doesn’t necessarily mean the most expensive) and mixes and matches components to work well with one another. Then, one uses best practices to connect he equipment together (no, not soldering them together), and treats one’s room for best sound. No, you cannot just buy a bunch of expensive components and haphazardly throw them together and expect the best sound. But you do have to pick good equipment and use knowledge and good sense to get the best out of it! No matter what you do, starting with mediocre or worse components will never give you anything better than mediocre sound.

George

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

Let's say we are both confused ... 🙂.

I've been reading, and hearing the same stories, over and over again, for decades, about what makes for good listening ... and, it ... doesn't ... work. By contrast, I've established a certain approach which always works - provided one persists with the exercise ... so, whom I'm listening to, are my ears, 😉.

Frank, you’ve been POSTING the same story for decades (at least it seems that way, the way you invade every forum on this site and post the same nonsense over and over and over and over to a group of audiophiles who decided long ago that your words have no credibility)!

We sure do wish that you could learn a new song, though. The one you’ve been singing has gotten really old, especially since the words convey no information and the song makes no sense.

George

16 hours ago, fas42 said:

Teresa, what happens is that the microphones pick up all the sounds that our brains use to identify what the nature is of what we're hearing; all the subtle clues that go with live music making. But in normal quality playback these are so damaged that our minds can't unravel what's going on - "It sounds a mess!". Higher quality replay shines the light on what's there strongly enough - and our brains can separate what it 'knows' belongs to the music, from everything else.

Audiophile recordings, IME, are sometimes too obviously manipulated, and are 'too simple' - the richness of sound textures is lacking, which makes them less satisfying, compared to other recordings.

Bullshit, Frank! You have no idea what you are talking about! “Audiophile recordings are sometimes too obviously manipulated and are ‘too simple’” ????!!! Where do you get this stuff? What’s your definition of “too simple”? Many so-called “Audiophile recordings” are made with only TWO microphones. It can’t get any simpler than that without being mono. And yet, such recordings can be the most accurate and realistic sounding that can be made. These recordings are not manipulated AT ALL! If you prefer multi-miked, multi-channel recordings to simple, honest stereo recordings, then I have to say that you have obviously either never been to a live classical concert, or you had no idea what you were hearing when you were attending such a concert!

"Old Yamaha CD players" ... ? I would put the original unit, which I still have, against most current replay chains - assuming it had been nicely warmed up, etc - and it would knock them off the perch with ease. You see, what it had in spades was 'musicality', smoothness - this is so "vinyl sounding", it's scary ... 😜.

We must assume, Frank, that your idea of what constitutes good sound, and what many of the rest of us consider good sound are galaxies apart! I had a Yamaha CD player once, and it was, like it’s contemporaries, mediocre sounding. Of course, I didn’t solder it to my amplifier, so maybe that accounts for why my perception of the Yamaha’s sound and yours differs so. 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

George